Plexiglass scratches

mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
edited March 2017 in Tips & Tricks
I searched but couldn't find if this was discussed before - any way to remove the scratches on the windows? I assume they're plexiglass. One place on the web said sandpaper but that's counter-intuitive. I'd think they'd get scratched more! Not a big deal but I notice it more on the front window and even the door window (thinking that's caused by that porthole shade being opened and closed). Oh, and I bought and have used "plexiglass cleaner" but it didn't do much.
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited March 2017
    Michele, that would be a great question to ask Ed at nuCamp, maybe in email form or a phone call if you 're in a hurry. Please tell us what you found out. Mine are a bit scratched from those 40 mph+ winds in AZ this winter. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    Verna - Okie dokie - I'll send him a note as I'm not in a hurry. Thanks!

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• RonRon Member Posts: 137
    I have used a series of compounds called "Mirror Glaze".  Basicly three different bottles of cleaning.  The first one takes out scratches and film buildup.  The middle one takes out scratches and polishes.  The last one is for light scratches and cleaning.  I used these with excellent results on folding plastic and hard lexan hatches.  If you use these often enough your plastic windows will last a long time.  Might not help much for flying rock dings, but worked well on flying fish residue.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    A quick wipe-down with Pledge furniture polish will tame minor scratches for a while. It's not permanent, but it's cheap and easy.

My passenger side window was scuffed a bit before we even bought it. It looks like somebody dry-wiped it while on the dealer's lot. That's kinda' how it goes with dust and plastic.
    2015 T@B S
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Good tip Ron, thanks

Like ScottG says, I always be sure to use lots of soapy water when washing them.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    I wonder if "headlight cleaning kits" would work?
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Estancio said:
    I wonder if "headlight cleaning kits" would work?
    Yes, but only if they're polycarbonate.  They might be acrylic or some other type.  Best wait until we get an answer from the factory.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Ron said:
    I have used a series of compounds called "Mirror Glaze".  Basicly three different bottles of cleaning.  The first one takes out scratches and film buildup.  The middle one takes out scratches and polishes.  The last one is for light scratches and cleaning.  I used these with excellent results on folding plastic and hard lexan hatches.  If you use these often enough your plastic windows will last a long time.  Might not help much for flying rock dings, but worked well on flying fish residue.
    I've used Meguire's Mirror Glaze with great success on the T@b's Windows.  I used #17 and #10, ones is a cleaner and the second a polish.  Took out the fine swirls and greatly reduced a rock scratch to barely noticeable.   Used it for years on the back plastic window of a Miata, window looked new when I sold it ten years later. Great stuff.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Just heard from Elsie. I think I'll try Maguire's (either the two glaze ones or I'll look at the #2 as Elsie says below).

We use buffing compound to get rid of scratches.  If the scratches are not too deep, use this Merguiar’s swirl remover 2.0. if that does not take care of it. try professionals pro speed compound.

• skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    The designer at nüCamp confirmed that the window material is acrylic.
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    Try Novus #1 cleaner/polish......We used it on hyperbaric chambers at a place I once worked....
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Just heard from Elsie. I think I'll try Maguire's (either the two glaze ones or I'll look at the #2 as Elsie says below).

We use buffing compound to get rid of scratches.  If the scratches are not too deep, use this Merguiar’s swirl remover 2.0. if that does not take care of it. try professionals pro speed compound.

Did you get a chance to deal with this? I got a couple of small scratches in my window when my TV fell. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Thanks for this thread! In looking at our new T@b yesterday at the dealer we noticed some scratches/rub marks already on two of the windows. Poor thing hasn't been any further than the dealers lot since it got here the end of January. It's good to know we can make them better!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The nature of plex but I'd rather have these windows than those in most campers/RVs even though they're glass.
    Most small planes has plex windows. They use a thick liquid/polish to clean them. Your nearest private aviation FBO would have what they use.
  • monamona Member Posts: 240
    Would a motorcycle dealer have any products for this purpose? 
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
    jkjenn said:

Did you get a chance to deal with this? I got a couple of small scratches in my window when my TV fell. 
    Not yet. I need to order the stuff and will do that when I bring my trailer to my neighbor's yard this weekend. will report back. 

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Thanks, Michele!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    mona said:
    The windshields on motorcycles are Lexan. Not sure it'll work on Plex or if it's the same thing.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    Lexan = polycarbonate. Plexiglass = acrylic. Each has different properties, but both are sensitive to certain solvents and anionic surfactants (Jet Dry). Novus and McGuires will both work, but deep scratches require a multi step, multi product process, as mentioned earlier in thread. Use the least abrasive you can.
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
    Thanks @Runtarooti!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Ratkity said:
    mona said:
    The windshields on motorcycles are Lexan. Not sure it'll work on Plex or if it's the same thing.
    Some motorcycle shields are acrylic--particularly aftermarket products. Here's what Memphis Shades says about treating scratches on their acrylic shields:
    Memphis Shades recommends the use of Novus #2 to remove scratches. The deeper the scratches, the greater the pressure required to remove them. If the surface is dirty, clean with plenty of soapy water first (mild dishwashing liquid is best).

Shake well. Test in an inconspicuous area.

Apply NOVUS No. 2 liberally. Using a clean, soft cloth, polish with a firm back-and-forth motion at right angles to the scratches. Keep the cloth saturated with polish at all times.

When the worst scratches have been polished out, reapply Novus #2 uniformly in a circular motion to the entire surface using short, circular strokes and light pressure. Allow to dry to a light haze.

Using a clean portion of the cloth, buff the surface to a slippery glaze using firm, short strokes. This procedure is imperative in achieving the best results.

For heavy scratches, multiple applications of Novus #2 may be required.
    I've never done this myself, so I can't vouch for how well it works. However, since the T@B windows are apparently also acrylic, it might be worth a try!
    2015 T@B S
    Great info, @ScottG!
    It would never have crossed my mind if Ratkity and mona hadn't raised the question. Good teamwork!

My bike shields are ok, but maybe now I'll get around to treating the scuffs on the T@B.
    2015 T@B S