Tab S Max spare tire seems to be mounted too close to the ground

mmtabmmtab Member Posts: 6
We just got our tab S max The spare tire is mounted underneath at the back. It seems really close to the ground. Has anyone had problems with it ever hitting the ground on bumpy roads?

Comments

• hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    Lots. Many folks move the tire to the tongue. Search under "spare tire" - lots of mounts/discussion.
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yep, one of the first things I did was move it to the tongue -Couldn't imagine having a flat a struggling with the spare where it was mounted.
  • CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Indeed, there are a bunch of threads about moving the spare tire, as it is difficult to get to and will scrape occasionally if at the wrong angle.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited March 2017
    Getting to it wouldn't be too bad for me, it's the getting back out part I'd struggle with! ( let's see, if I leave this tire on my chest, and scoot out...nah, that ain't workin', dang, now I got this sucker stuck between my chest & the trailer :o:s .....LIZZZZZZZZZ HELP!) Just sayin'.
    Not even to mention either soaking wet ground, or over 100* temps on asphalt...ouch!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    Over the manny years and miles of RVing we have only experienced only 2 flat tires. So having it out of the way works for me. Having said that I have probably set myself up for a flat next trip. I also carry flat fix in a can for  punctures.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Dalehelman, Having said that I have probably set myself up for a flat next trip. Yup, and 'ya said that right out loud too!  :s
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

I've had two in two years - none this year yet.
    Dale - I know the tire shop in my home area won't work on tires that have been slimed.
  • CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    ericnliz said:
    Dalehelman, Having said that I have probably set myself up for a flat next trip. Yup, and 'ya said that right out loud too!  :s
    AND... it will be raining when it happens :tongue:

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    My first was in 104 degree temps at Zion NP. It worked out as well as possible - I called Good Sam :) Let the young man do the hard work and took it to a service station outside of the entrance where they fixed it and put it back on for less than $20.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Cyclonic said:
    ericnliz said:
    AND... it will be raining when it happens :tongue:
    AND... something unidentified will be decomposing while the wind blows toward you.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    PXL, Yup, you're right about the slime. When I worked at the tire shop, once (and only once) I tried to get that stuff out, and it's one GREAT BIG MESS. It creates that slime on the inside ALL over, and you can't get anything to stick to it, much less a patch. When folks would bring in a flat, that was the first question I would ask, "did you use tire slime", and if the answer was yes, no go on fixing it, time to replace it. 90% of the time when they used it, the inside of the tire was so torn up it wasn't repairable anyway. Best just to put the spare on, and get it over with. IMHO. ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

Go for it, @TrikePete!!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    Good idea to move it to the front I think, although I an very concerned about tongue weight.  We are pushing the limits as close as I am comfortable with already.  Any other alternatives?
  • AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 451
    edited March 2017
    I've had local tire shops (Les Schwab) fix a flat that was inflated with fix-a-flat - and they didn't care at all, didn't bother them. Not all tire shops refuse to fix these tires. Having mine in a tough spot doesn't trouble me. I have AAA and carry three cans of Fix A Flat.
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
    @drpprmt, you can always add a weight distribution hitch to offset the hitch weight and distribute the weight to the front wheels of the TV and the wheels of the T@B. 
    AldebaranJill - About the time you're out traveling and don't have a whole lot of tire shop options available (boonies of Montana for instance) is when you'll hit the shop that won't do it. :-)
    I've had local tire shops (Les Schwab) fix a flat that was inflated with fix-a-flat - and they didn't care at all, didn't bother them. Not all tire shops refuse to fix these tires. Having mine in a tough spot doesn't trouble me. I have AAA and carry three cans of Fix A Flat.
    Thanks Jill you make my point. If I find myself with perfect conditions to change a tire I probably would. Otherwise fix a flat I don't care if the tire guy doesn't like it. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    PXLated said:
    AldebaranJill - About the time you're out traveling and don't have a whole lot of tire shop options available (boonies of Montana for instance) is when you'll hit the shop that won't do it. :-)
    So just have them put on your spare and use the fix a flat tire as your spare. What are the odds of 2 flats back to back.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    @Dalehelman, I think people who have run that highway to Alaska would tell you about more than one flat on a trip!! LOL. Or... you could be me and just have the luck of a bad penny. And like a bad penny, I keep showing up :wink:
    Ratkity said:
    @Dalehelman, I think people who have run that highway to Alaska would tell you about more than one flat on a trip!! LOL. Or... you could be me and just have the luck of a bad penny. And like a bad penny, I keep showing up :wink:
    How many spare tires do you carry? More than 4?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Letsee - It's a double axel, plus I have a motorcycle in it, and then a spare and the truck has a spare. Maybe I need MORE!
    Where do you carry your motorcycle spare?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Dalehelman, it's on a card that says "extended service plan". The nearest Harley shop will come to the rescue and will replace the tires (different sizes on front than on back). Since the gearing is integrated into the back, that is more difficult to replace than the front and needs to be done at a proper shop. The trucks with industrial motorcycle lifts are so cool to watch! Doesn't take much to amuse me, though.
    AldebaranJill, and Dalehelman, Just FYI, Les Schwab (the ones I've dealt with anyway) use plugs to repair tires, not patches. That being said, using a plug, tire removal is not necessary. Preferred , and recommended repair is a plug/patch which is not only a more permanent, but safer repair. To each their own, travel on, and be safe out there! ;)  
    Spokane, Wa.

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Plug kits are about the only DIY option for a motorcycle flat. While I suppose you could carry one of those (plus an air pump) in lieu of a spare, it's a whole lot less convenient, and won't necessarily work in all circumstances.
    2015 T@B S
    edited March 2017
    @ScottG, I carry a plug kit for the motorcycle.

Edited: Oh, Slime makes a tiny compressor that has the pigtail connect to the bike for the SAE. Still have to carry a small pressure gauge. Probably wouldn't fill a completely flat tire.
    Ratkity said:
    Dalehelman, it's on a card that says "extended service plan". The nearest Harley shop will come to the rescue and will replace the tires (different sizes on front than on back). Since the gearing is integrated into the back, that is more difficult to replace than the front and needs to be done at a proper shop. The trucks with industrial motorcycle lifts are so cool to watch! Doesn't take much to amuse me, though.
    I was just kidding. I did own a bike years ago with a sidecar and it did carry a spare.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I guess I'm going to have to weigh my tongue for piece of mind. Two batteries and a 20 lb propane tank plus the existing tongue weight takes mine up to just under 300 lbs. I've always felt the 38 lb spare tire under the rear gives me some leverage to not have to worry about tongue weight. The only problem is my home scale is glass.......I wonder how patient the scales guy is at the Flying J?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Verna said:
    I guess I'm going to have to weigh my tongue for piece of mind. Two batteries and a 20 lb propane tank plus the existing tongue weight takes mine up to just under 300 lbs. I've always felt the 38 lb spare tire under the rear gives me some leverage to not have to worry about tongue weight. The only problem is my home scale is glass.......I wonder how patient the scales guy is at the Flying J?
    A jack pad or a piece of plywood should distribute the load. I used our glass faced scale to check my tongue weight. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thank you, @Dalehelman!  Now to get up the courage to try it......  But first, a couple of sliding baskets need to be attached to the driver's bench for my pantry. Then I can measure for the solid cherry enclosure I need to make to cover the wire baskets. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”