Options

Alde digital setting questions

We have the T@B in the shop for some final problems before the warrantee runs out and the tech had some comments that I had questions about-

1. The digital menu gives you a selection for circ pump speed, 1-5. What is the normal setting for this?
2. I've read elsewhere in the Forum that the normal setting for the temperature/continuous setting is temperature. When would you use continuous?
3. He said that when the battery is disconnected, all the Alde settings revert to the default settings. Correct?
4. I've read in the Alde Manual and in the Forum that when the  Alde is connected to both shore power and propane, it defaults to electrical. I've also read somewhere that if you want the Alde to provide heat and hot water quicker, you select both the electrical and propane. How is this possible?
He said that propane heats faster than electrical because the propane burner is larger than the electrical element.
5. If you run the Alde without water in the hot water tank, it is not a problem. Correct?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,468
    I have the analog controller so I can't answer your first three questions.

The instructions for the analog controller are a bit more specific than those for the digital controller. In "heat and hot water" mode, the electrical heaters start first and propane kicks in to supplement only if the room temperature drops by 2-4 degrees. In "hot water only" mode only the electrical heaters are activated.

Therefore, there appears to be some truth to the "heats up faster with both" theory, but just a little...  I wouldn't be surprised if the propane burner was larger than the electric elements, but if you wanted to force propane use you would likely need to do that by switching off the electrical. I'm not sure the degree of difference (if any) it would make, but if I've got shore power available I'm not going to waste my propane. The electrical elements heat water plenty quickly!

Regardless of the control system you are using, you can run the Alde (for cabin heat) without water in the tank. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    About the first question. You'll need to know if they changed from manual circulating pumps to the electronically controlled ones. If they haven't upgraded to them, then that menu isn't doing anything. There's a tiny flat adjustment on the pump next to the Alde if you have a manual one. You can adjust the speed if you find it gurgles too much. If you can hear the pump speed up when you use the circulation menu, then the speed suggested is about 2. I had the manual pump and found that I got less bubble noise at a lower speed. The manual pump seems to have a slight advantage for mini adjustments made to controlling the circulation. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited April 2017

As far as the heating elements go keep in mind the Alde is manufactured for 220v countries.
    When run on 110v I believe we only get half the watts those elements are capable of putting out.
    With the analog controller you can select one element or both (3 lightning bolts). I assume selecting both heats things up faster. I'm not sure how the digital model handles this.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861

I've read in the Alde Manual and in the Forum that when the  Alde is connected to both shore power and propane, it defaults to electrical. I've also read somewhere that if you want the Alde to provide heat and hot water quicker, you select both the electrical and propane. How is this possible? 
    He said that propane heats faster than electrical because the propane burner is larger than the electrical element.

If you run the Alde without water in the hot water tank, it is not a problem. Correct?

If you are hooked to shore power and the propane is on it does revert to electric.  And when you are boondocking and forget that the thermostat is left "on electric" (and you fire up the Alde), you may hear some dripping sound.  The dripping sound you hear is the pump circulating the Glycol in the system.  Needless to say you will not get any heat from the Alde, until you switch the digital thermostat setting to propane.  

And you cannot select propane & electric, it's either one or the other.  When you are plugged into shore power the unit operates off electric and when on propane the 12V system powers up the digital thermostat and runs the unit and is heated from propane.  

And yes, you can run the Alde without water in the tank.  The Alde hot water tank is situated around the outside of the heating fluid tank and actually heats by conduction from the heating fluid, not directly from immersion or gas burners, so its OK to have the heating on even if you haven't got the water system filled. 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,517
    Mike,  the Alde has an "Extra Hot Water" feature.  It is confusing what actually happens here.  Does it remain on 110, does propane ever work with shorepower to speed up the heat/ hot water?  The manual does say both the electric element and propane boiler may operate together- what do you need to select for this to happen?  Thanks
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    And yes it is true that when disconnected from the battery that the ALDE digital controller will revert to default settings....unless....you have installed an ALDE battery backup, a small box with two AA batteries, available from Elsie for a nominal charge. Well worth the investment.
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I suspect the "extra hot water" feature of the digital controller parallels the "hot water boost" of the analog unit.

With the analog unit, setting the switch to "heat and hot water" brings the hot water in the Alde tank to ~130F; setting the switch to "hot water only" brings the temp up to ~150F. It's purely a temperature control, and has nothing to do with which burners are operating or the speed at which the water in the tank is heated. While this information is in the manual, I'm a skeptic, so I tested and confirmed it myself. (http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3225/alde-hot-water-test/p2).

An added feature (drawback?) of the digital controller is that it shuts the boost feature off automatically after 30 minutes.

FYI, I did my tests using both electrical cartridges, with the propane turned off. Once I pull the T@B out for the season, I might do some additional tests to compare heat up time for electrical vs. propane vs. both. I suspect the differences will be negligible, but I'll post the results when and if I have them!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Outstanding feedback and info!  Just goes to show you the technology and advanced features that are built into the small and dynamic Alde system.  Pretty amazing stuff!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Michigan_Mike, Yep, along with the ingenuity of fellow T@Bbers! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    scaupscaup Member Posts: 81
    Thanks for all the great comments but regarding the question-

1. The digital menu gives you a selection for circ pump speed, 1-5. What is the normal setting for this?

Ratkity said it should be 2 what happens at the higher settings (besides the circ pump running faster)? Why do they give different settings?

thanks
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    To me, it just added to the fish tank sound of the reservoir tank lol. Someone more experienced in radiant heat might know!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited April 2017

And you cannot select propane & electric, it's either one or the other.  When you are plugged into shore power the unit operates off electric and when on propane the 12V system powers up the digital thermostat and runs the unit and is heated from propane.  

This is not true with the manual control panel.  I regularly use both if I want to heat up the water quickly or recover faster for multiple showers.  It is true that if the water inside the Alde is above a certain temperature, it uses electric only, but if you drain it cold, propane will cycle on in (HI) mode (higher propane consumption, noise) and boosts your hot water up nicely.

If this is the case with the digital panel, that sounds like an oversight or we don't know how to configure it.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    @wizard1880, do I understand correctly that you are actually hearing (or otherwise clearly confirming) the propane burner cycling on when using both electricity and propane with the "hot water only" setting on the analog panel?

If so, that's contradictory to what's stated in the manual--but I don't necessarily believe everything I read in a manual. Empirical evidence wins every time!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Yup.  You get both.  Their website mentions this, for when you need quick recovery.  Given this is for the European model, mine has behaved the same.

When I can get to my PC tonight I'll post the links.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Between section I and J.

I didn't see similar wording under the instructions for the digital panel.

Also I don't know if this works with just hot water only mode.  I've only camped in colder weather with hookups so far.

But then I see the note further down, only one at a time.  Hmm, Mike you could be right.  I'd have to test with my kill a watt to see if the electric turns off when gas turns on.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Thanks, wizard1880. I was getting my info from the same page, but I was thinking you were on the "hot water only" setting (top position of slider). I feel that new experiment coming on!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Hoogie69Hoogie69 Member Posts: 31
    skwhee said:
    And yes it is true that when disconnected from the battery that the ALDE digital controller will revert to default settings....unless....you have installed an ALDE battery backup, a small box with two AA batteries, available from Elsie for a nominal charge. Well worth the investment.
    Sooo, I know this is an old thread.  I just acquired a 2022 T@B 400 BD and am looking for an Alde battery backup.  Who is “Elsie” in the quoted section and how would I get in touch with them?  Any other sources for an Alde battery backup, or specification for the connection on the rear of the panel? Thank you.

2022 T@B 400 BD, with 2-way refrigerator and AllPro Awning
    TV is a 2021 Honda Passport Elite w/ transmission cooler and Redarc Liberty Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited August 2022
    Elise is a customer service representative, who works at nüCamp.  You can order the B/U battery kit from nüCamp via a nüCamp dealer.  Elise used to coordinate parts and accessory orders from nüCamp, back when you could order them direct.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,517
    You can try contacting Alde directly.  Not sure if they will sell you anything or just refer you to an Alde authorized dealer.  Another good source if you need to order from a dealer is Missouri Teardrop Trailers.

Alde / Truma Contact

Description:  How to contact Alde (now part of the Truma Corporation)

Telephone:  (877) 860 9814

Alde E-mail:  service@alde.us

Truma E-mail:  service@trumacorp.com

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio