It's heresy I tell you....but who needs a spare tire?

Comments

• CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    A spare tire is one of those things that you wish you didn't have to carry with you, but if you didn't you will wish you had.

As any Boy Scout will tell you, "Be Prepared."

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    I carry a plug kit on my motorcycle, and I've had to use it. I've waited for roadside assistance when a tow truck was the only option. I've changed several tires on the side of the road--some were repairable, some were trashed.

To each their own, but for me the simple solution of having a new wheel ready to bolt up is a no brainer!
    2015 T@B S
  • IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    Murphy's Law dictates....
    If I don't have my spare with me, I'll blow a tire. 
    Im also looking to reposition the spare as we were doing a full shake down this past weekend when I saw the clearance was pretty small when husband backed our t@b in to our driveway. I know there'll be bigger depressions when driving into any gas stations, let alone dodging the numerous potholes we have up here in New England. 

Is is it fairly involved to move the spare to the tongue? 
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @IrishCamper74, Pretty simple actually. Several different mounts available. The one I ordered was from Amazon: MAXXHAUL 70214 Powder Coat Black Trailer Spare Carrier. I opted to mount mine on the front trailer jack instead of on the side. Just replaced the regular bolts with "U" bolts, washers, and nylock nuts. I also used a rubber cushion pad to protect the jack tube, and to help keep it from turning. Good & sturdy as the tire rests on the trailer frame. Just an idea.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• fiddlefootfiddlefoot Member Posts: 62
    The only time I ever had a flat (other than my MGB that had wire wheels and tubes and always had flats because I drove it in fields and it was almost fun to change the tire) the spare was flat.  We did do a lot of driving before moving the spare on the t@b, but I was always nervous because we had not checked the air in the spare.  We did move it to the tongue, the hardest thing about that was getting it out from under.  Very simple, ordered the mount from Amazon, bought U bolts at Lowes, done and done. Now it's easy to check the air and DH is happy he will not have to remove the spare from under again.
    Denise, Rea and Ruby
    2016 CS S, 2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Somerset, VA

ericnliz said:

@IrishCamper74, Pretty simple actually. Several different mounts available. The one I ordered was from Amazon: MAXXHAUL 70214 Powder Coat Black Trailer Spare Carrier. I opted to mount mine on the front trailer jack instead of on the side. Just replaced the regular bolts with "U" bolts, washers, and nylock nuts. I also used a rubber cushion pad to protect the jack tube, and to help keep it from turning. Good & sturdy as the tire rests on the trailer frame. Just an idea.

Thanks ericnliz!

@IrishCamper74, You're welcome, and thanks, you reminded me to add Irish Cream to my list for next week! =)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

ericnliz said:

@IrishCamper74, You're welcome, and thanks, you reminded me to add Irish Cream to my list for next week! =)

Whatever I can do to help! ☕️

• HopsHops Member Posts: 48
    edited May 2021
    Fun Thread. 
    I went with a Bolt Pattern converter for my T@b wheel so my Tow Vehicle spare fits the T@b. My story at this thread: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/4591/tab-s-max-spare-tire-seems-to-be-mounted-too-close-to-the-ground#latest
    Hops and Cascade
    2017 T@B 320 Max S
    2014 Ford Escape 2.0 EcoBoost
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I do carry my spare, but I've left it under the trailer, and it's been there for 10 years. I replace my tires every four years, and have never had a problem. I havent heard any reports of this in years, but in the early years of T@Bs, tire blowouts caused enough damage that simply changing the tire would not get you back on the road again, you needed a tow on a flatbed due to the tire ripping up electrical and structure. I also have Good Sam and travel mostly on interstates, so will leave my spare where it is and allow them to take care of it for me.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited December 2017
    I rolled the dice and drove up to Alaska and back (without a spare) from Michigan with my former Silver Shadow and without any issues.  I don't sweat it, I maintain sufficient tire pressure, keep speeds at or around 65 mph and continually monitor tread, heat conditions, etc.  Tire maintenance and monitoring to me is akin to changing engine oil, inspecting/lubricating wheel bearings, etc. religiously and maintaining the integrity of a vehicle.  

Spare tire sits bolted and at the ready beneath my 2015 T@B Max.  No dragging issues and I am well aware of and conscious of steep driveway entrances, rail crossings, etc.  No problems thus far, knock on wood!   =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • JimEngelJimEngel Member Posts: 45

When we got our T&B I was not comfortable with the spare
    under the trailer both because of a possible hang up and because
    the idea of crawling under the trainer beside the road on a rainy,
    muddy day was not appealing. I threw it in the back of the pickup,
    up against the front, out of the way. Was going to figure out an
    alternative mounting.
    It is still there.
    It is a full size pick up with plenty of space, and stuff far in
    is hard to reach anyway, the space was not really being used
    for anything.
    So it is there if I need it, clean, out of the way.
    On the rare occasion I need the bed empty to haul something,
    I just set it aside in the garage.
    Of course I have to remember to put it back, which is why I
    leave it setting out.
    KISS,  Keep it simple, stupid...

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    When I was a kid, we did a lot of camping trips with a tent trailer.  We had several flats over the years.  Some were actually a result of overloading the trailer, but some were simply tire issues.  That trailer actually has two spares mounted under it now, as a result of multiple flats on one trip.

As a driver, I got a flat tire on my truck last year, rolling down the highway. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    rkj__ said:
    When I was a kid, we did a lot of camping trips with a tent trailer.  We had several flats over the years.  Some were actually a result of overloading the trailer, but some were simply tire issues.  That trailer actually has two spares mounted under it now, as a result of multiple flats on one trip.

As a driver, I got a flat tire on my truck last year, rolling down the highway. 
    Did you roll down the highway, the truck or did the tire roll away? :rofl:

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • HerFineMessHerFineMess Member Posts: 23
    I am late to the discussion, but I wanted to post my two cents. First, I have an Outback, so the topic of moving the tire is moot. I travel mostly alone when I am in my T@B, and I have Good Sam's, so I will always use the service if I have a tire issue.
    We (my husband and I) experienced a massive blowout a few weeks ago in our 5th wheel. The tire was decimated. We called Good Sam's and we were back in business within a few hours, thank goodness. Good Sam's uses your spare tire when they replace your tire. Otherwise, they have to find a dealer or a place that has a similar tire before they head out to help you out on the side of the road. Thankfully, we were at the top of Raton Pass (the Colorado / New Mexico boarder) and there were repair places in Raton and Trinidad that could send a mechanic. If we had to wait for a tire, we'd have to wait longer. So--that's why having your own spare is best. The cost of a new tire to replace to old one? NOT CHEAP. Thankfully the T@Bs have much smaller tires. The whole ordeal cost us 800 dollars. Boo for that. Yay for Good Sam's. 

--Meg 
    Mostly A Solo RV Chick 
    T@B Outback
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 
  • PJ123PJ123 Member Posts: 41
    I'm among those in the irvingj school of thought, I'm just to chicken to go without a spare. Our tow is a Frontier and the T@B spare resides in the front of the truck bed bungee'd hopefully forever.  Call it insurance.....or a security blanket...but there it is.
    Pete & Jeanne 2019 T@B red and grey 400 Boondock Lite..TV 2015 Nissan Frontier, Southern Louisiana
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    $800???  To change a tire and use your spare?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • hammerstonehammerstone Member Posts: 14
    I'm late to this post as well, but I'm with Texasaubiefan on this one.  Taking a spare with you is a nice to have, not a need to have.  And as many have stated here, they haven't checked their spare in years; i'd be willing to bet 25% or more of those carrying spares are flat.

I tow my 2008 T@B over many roads where the spare underneath would scrape on the ground, and being marginally powered with the TV (Mazda Cx5 with 2L motor) i don't have much extra grunt to pull out of a high centered situation.  In addition, that tire is very difficult to remove from underneath.  When there is room the spare goes inside.  When there isn't room, it stays home.  As a long time motorcycle rider, i am used to the idea of a flat tire meaning a potential delay in your plans; it has happened to me once or twice, but not the end of the world.

I carry a plug kit (and practice using it every time i get new tires), a can of sealant, and a small Battery Operated compressor; none of these guarantees a repair but might fix you in a nail situation.  They also might NOT help (shredded tire, etc) but in some of those cases you're looking for a trailer anyway, and a spare tire won't help.

If you are lucky enough to have a similar size on your tow vehicle, having an adapter made so you can use your tow vehicle spare is ideal.

Another option is mounting the spare on the front; for many this works and the peace of mind is worth the extra tongue weight.  For me it isn't.

The last option i'm going to investigate is mounting the spare tire to the curved back side of the T@B; this would be ideal for me, and allow me to take off some of the tongue weight and add a few items to the propane box.  I've seen a few of these, one being the very expensive luggage rack sold by T@B dealers (and made by Yakima I think).  I'm looking for a more economical option, one as described by chip phillips the photographer.  Any other input from folks would be appreciated.

Hammerstone, not sure what kind of TV you have, but we have a minivan and carry the spare on the roof.  We have a small, collapsible step stool that travels with us in case we need to reach it:)
  • hammerstonehammerstone Member Posts: 14
    that's another option, however, i'd have to purchase/add on a tire carrier to the TV, and would rather spend that money/time adding a reasonably located spare carrier to the T@B than the Mazda.  Thanks for the input.  How often have you had to use the spare?
    Never, but we have only been towing since April...
  • HopsHops Member Posts: 48
    Ha Ha..... @gulfarea. as @hammerstone says I got the converter and can now use my TV spare. Here is the thread: http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/84357#Comment_84357
    Hops and Cascade
    2017 T@B 320 Max S
    2014 Ford Escape 2.0 EcoBoost
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    HOPS I am lucky as the tire on the tab can be used for my spare on the Jeep without any adapter. I just threw it up on the roof as it is easy to get to. I just put 2 new Goodyear Endurance tires on the Tab made in USA and rated for 75 mph. Thanks for the reply. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    edited January 2018
    @gulfarea, my age hasn't got anything to do with it. With 20/600 vision in only one eye, without my glasses I qualify for a leader dog and a cane. Sorry, looked everywhere in the photo, can't find it either. You're on your own. Might I suggest an aftermarket tracking device? Good luck!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    Dragonsdofly tracking device sounds like a good idea but at my age would need several, one for phone, keys, shoes. I sure like having my traveling clean toilet (T@B) right behind me. Wife just came back from flight from FL with diarrhea & threw up twice on the plane. I don't fly anymore or travel anywhere my TAB can't go & it can go almost anywhere! 
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
    @gulfarea, My friends have suggested "dummy" strings...you know the ;) ones your Mom used to sew your mittens on to so you wouldn't keep losing one!
    Spokane, Wa.

• cooper31525cooper31525 Member Posts: 14
    Luckily, I haven’t needed my spare.  My father recently had a blowout and it did $3,100 worth of damage to his camper.  He called Good Sams and after two or three hours of waiting, he called a local tow truck.  Good Sams never showed up.

I have a CS-S Max (clamshell).  The underbody mount for the spare tire made me nervous because the clearance between the spare and road was tiny.  I now carry the spare inside the T@B between the couches or the bed of my truck.  I may upgrade to a tongue mount kit but my current method is working fine for now.
  • RunnersRunners Member Posts: 16
    You’ll need the spare tire now since you said it out loud. Lol 😂 
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I do carry my spare, but I've left it under the trailer, and it's been there for 10 years. I replace my tires every four years, and have never had a problem. I havent heard any reports of this in years, but in the early years of T@Bs, tire blowouts caused enough damage that simply changing the tire would not get you back on the road again, you needed a tow on a flatbed due to the tire ripping up electrical and structure. I also have Good Sam and travel mostly on interstates, so will leave my spare where it is and allow them to take care of it for me.
    I just recently replaced my spare as it was 12 years, and the spare was original. I did not have it put back up under the trailer as I knew I've been running heavy. At this point, I can't mount it on my tongue as I don't have the room with a DM Clamshell, so for now, I toss it in the back of the truck when traveling. Not sure what I'm going to do for our big FL trip, as we load the truck really full for that trip.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL