Options

It's heresy I tell you....but who needs a spare tire?

13»

Comments

• Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    We own a T@G outback, but also other types of utility trailers, and I would never go anywhere w/o a spare.

I do have access to AAA, but I will never count on them to change a spare.  It would take me longer to complete the call than doing it my self.  We also travel at night and some time far away from any towns or service.  All this would result in longs night and very long waiting times.  And on top of this, you are at the mercy of the co pany that comes to help you.  With a spare, you can choose where the bad tire will be fix or replace.

and I am also among the ones that rearly check his spare, since I have on board air in my wrangler and a portable air co pressor in my other TV.  So often, it is faster to fix the tire than changing it. Some areas will be closed for weekends.

I also travel by motor cycle, and a flat is always a major inconvenience and can be dangerous on a bike.  This is harder to controle and prepared for.  So since I can be better prepared for car travel, then I do it.

to me, it is part of being prepeared.

but this is me and even my GF is not even part of this.  :)
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I think the very best insurance is a visual inspection each day before towing along with monitoring air pressure, preferably with a TPMS so low pressure and high temperatures are caught early. Most blowouts don't just happen, they result from low pressure then overheating, then tire failure. Not always true, especially for the notorious China Bomb tires... 

I have had to put a spare on my pickup exactly twice in 19 years and 300k, both off pavement. Zero times on a 14 year old cargo trailer with over 30k miles and my wife has had to call road service a couple of times in 14 years and 150k on her car.

Some new vehicles have even got rid of the doughnut tires in favor of no spare. I think tires are generally reliable enough these days that the chance of needing to change a tire is rare. Still I have spares, a TPMS, tire plugs and an air compressor. BTW, do not rely on a cheap "tire inflator" , lay down a few hundred bucks for one that will actually be useful when you need it, I can recommend the Viair brand.

Now to get rid of those China Bombs on my new 400!
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    I think the very best insurance is a visual inspection each day before towing along with monitoring air pressure, preferably with a TPMS so low pressure and high temperatures are caught early. Most blowouts don't just happen, they result from low pressure then overheating, then tire failure. Not always true, especially for the notorious China Bomb tires... 

I have had to put a spare on my pickup exactly twice in 19 years and 300k, both off pavement. Zero times on a 14 year old cargo trailer with over 30k miles and my wife has had to call road service a couple of times in 14 years and 150k on her car.

Some new vehicles have even got rid of the doughnut tires in favor of no spare. I think tires are generally reliable enough these days that the chance of needing to change a tire is rare. Still I have spares, a TPMS, tire plugs and an air compressor. BTW, do not rely on a cheap "tire inflator" , lay down a few hundred bucks for one that will actually be useful when you need it, I can recommend the Viair brand.

Now to get rid of those China Bombs on my new 400!
    Some of those tires that do not have spares, will have run flats tires of a can of gooe to fix it.  But for those who did not know, a run flat tire is done ounce it was used on a flat. 

Call me old school, but for me, a spare is still essentiial, even a simple donut, witch could be use on a T@B.

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    @texasaubiefan,  
    These topics are great.  It’s always good to stir up conversations.  It can get stale around here...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    . I think tires are generally reliable enough these days that the chance of needing to change a tire is rare. 

If you try hard enough you can break anything. I blew out two tires at once a few years ago. 🤦🏼‍♀️
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    I my 41 years as a licensed driver I have replace a tire on the road once.  But it was out in the middle of nowhere when I lived in Kansas.  But that was on a car and not a trailer.  Could I leave the trailer behind if I had to, sure.  But I will continue to carry a spare for both my truck and my trailer.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Since I first posted in this thread a couple of years ago, I have a new story.

We drive a lot of FS roads in the PNW, and I'm up to five flats over 20 years.  If you stick to pavement the OP probably has a case.

I managed two front flats at the same time last year on our Subaru, with only one spare of course!  Managed to patch the other tire with gorilla tape, 2 cans of fix a flat, and a small compressor.  Would have had to ride 20 miles out on the mountain bike to get help.  

Haven't had a flat on the camper yet, but take it on the same kind of roads, so won't leave home without the spare.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    HopsHops Member Posts: 48
    edited May 2019
    I did get a flat but it was in town so easy enough to take it off and to the shop for repair.

BTW - I did find a way to use by tow vehicle spare (Ford Escape) if necessary. Information at this thread:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/84384#Comment_84384
    Hops and Cascade
    2017 T@B 320 Max S
    2014 Ford Escape 2.0 EcoBoost
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    A spare tire is one of those things I'd rather lug around than find myself truly stuck. I've got a newer Boondock with the spare up on the tongue and it seems mostly to stay out of my way :)

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    Hops said:
    I did get a flat but it was in town so easy enough to take it off and to the shop for repair.

BTW - I did find a way to use by tow vehicle spare (Ford Escape) if necessary. Information at this thread:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/84384#Comment_84384
    Was it day time or night time, week of weekends.

and just for your information, do not have a f'at tire in a small town past 5 pm or on weekends.  Those little gas station with repair shop are not as cmmon as they use to.  ;)

• Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    In support of texasaubiefan.....the Kia Soul wifey drives has no spare but came with  a can of goo you spray into the tire thru the valve. As long as it is just a puncture you’ve got a chance.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    RCB said:
    In support of texasaubiefan.....the Kia Soul wifey drives has no spare but came with  a can of goo you spray into the tire thru the valve. As long as it is just a puncture you’ve got a chance.
    Well, I guess I might have to scratch the Kia Soul from My possible next daily driver. In the location I drive, late night and weekends, it could take me up to 2 days to get a tire fixe or replace.  And it is not even forest roads.  :(

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    We purchased a spare tire for our latest car purchase that did not include the spare.  I don't really care what the actual calculated risk is of requiring the spare - when you need it, you need it.  Easy fix and cheap insurance.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2019
    My son and his family, heading to Vermont for spring skiing, damaged his rim with a bad brake caliper, so had to install the donut spare. Holiday weekend, everything was closed, so no place to find a new rim.

Drove on the donut to Killington, figuring they'd get it fixed after the weekend.

Of course, the next day the donut was flat!

Tow truck had to take them into town.

Needless to say, I believe in spares!

(our Tab dealer, Dan Kearney, in Rutland, finally found him a rim, repaired the donut for him, checked the brakes, and got them rolling home, all after a great weekend of skiing. Hardly charged him what they should have. Great guys. Can't say enough about our six-hour-distant Tab dealer!)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    @RCB

Throw a second can in, some gorilla tape and a small DC air compressor if you want to be self sufficient.  Then you have a chance.  

One can won't inflate enough to be useful.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    texasaubiefantexasaubiefan Member Posts: 62
    Seeing how I started this thread long ago, I thought I’d share my perspective.

I had a blowout going thru Dallas.  I had my spare and was thankful I did.   I learned that when a trailer tire goes, it usually is shredded.   I had relatively few miles on them and the tire guy said the tread life was fine.   The tire just failed.   The good news is no damage to the RV.   In fact it handled very well.  I was doing 60 when it happened.   I had my air compressor in my Jeep, aired up the spare, and Good Sam was on the spot 30 minutes later and I was on my way.   Ended up replacing all 3 tires with Goodyear’s advantage as I didn’t trust the factory tires.   Much better and quieter tires.   Put 5000 miles on them during the rest of the trip.   I’ll provide an update later on my towing experience with my Jeep wangler rubicon unlimited.   It was my first time pulling thru the mountains in Colorado and suffice it to say, it wore me out.   
    2017 T@B 320-S, Sofitel (M@bel)
    Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
    TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 
    David & Jill, Houston, TX
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    @texasaubiefan thanks for following up on this topic.  So many posters don't. It's good for others to learn from your experience.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Even though the tires look good and have tread left, older trailer tires are a liability, and can fail when you least expect them to, especially on highway use, in a hot area.  Glad you are OK, and no real damage.  I replace my trailer tires every three years or so, depending on the tire/trailer.  Also, pay close attention to the tire pressure, and keep it at the recommend pressure.  Trailer tires loose pressure whilst sitting.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    You won't need a spare tire, until you do.