Options

Norcold frig won't stay lit?

drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
Recently we had to return home due to an emergency.  This involved a 10hr road trip.  During that time we used the refrig on propane as I do not want to add additional stress to our TV charging system.  However, the refrig NEVER stayed on while traveling.  Everytime I stopped I had to re-start it.  Is there a fix for this very big issue?

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Mine tends to do the same thing.  So I never run it on propane while traveling.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    RZRBUG replaced his frig with an Engle. Try a search for Engle
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Our T@B (an older DM model) seemed OK with running the Norcold on propane while on the road, but many others have not been able to do that. Venting? Seems on some T@Bs, driving over the road will blow out the flame.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I spoke to Marvin at the factory when I visited recently and he said that the Norcold unit is designed to run optimally when level and will shut down when not level and that they obviously do not recommend, nor suggest that the unit be transported using propane to power the refrigerator for safety reasons.  

I understsnd that this presents an issue in trying to keep food and drinks cold and fresh when traveling since the Norcold can easily and quickly drain the battery since it is an energy hog.  My Norcold also shuts off during travel and it's concerning to me since the unit tries to relight itself (you hear the clicking) and cumulatively I wonder if this is damaging the igniter.  Does anyone have any insight or info on this issue?  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I don't have a definitive answer, but common sense makes me agree with Mike. When the fridge is set to propane but is not lit, the ignitor fires constantly. I don't imagine that has any positive effect on its lifespan.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336

There were a number of
    threads in the past that discussed turbulence between the TV and
    T@B.  Apparently it can greatly vary
    based on the TV.  The primary issue at
    the time was damage to the propane cover. 
    There appears to be a similar situation with the 3-way staying lit.  It appears to stay lit with our 2012 RAV.

Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    After camping this past weekend and a four hour drive home, I noticed a severe drain on my battery when I arrived home. Since I am leery about traveling with the propane on, I guess I need to invest in a good travel cooler

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    I travel with the fridge off; no propane or battery.  I use it on shore power before I leave, and start it on propane as soon as I park for the night.
  • Options

dmerzbac said:

Since I am leery about traveling with the propane on, I guess I need to invest in a good travel cooler

This is why I purchased my ARB frig as it is a low amperage draw and keeps our food fresh and cold during travel.  
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

dmerzbac said:

Since I am leery about traveling with the propane on, I guess I need to invest in a good travel cooler

This is why I purchased my ARB frig as it is a low amperage draw and keeps our food fresh and cold during travel.  

Since I picked up my ARB I have been noodling this, too. The TV can't keep up over the course of a 10 hour day. I was OK with the dual GC battery set up, but I prefer to arrive with fully charged batteries. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I find this to be very vexing.  We have been rv-ing for 40yrs, in everything from truck campers to class A motorhomes.  The only time I haven't used propane for the refrig while traveling is in my first truck camper that used ice to keep cool.  We recently traveled in our rv all across the country, 6000 miles and used the refrig on propane the entire trip.  We never had an issue.  I am deeply disappointed in what I have encountered and have expressed this to nucamp.  In this day and age being able to use your refrig should not be an issue. 
  • Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    ^^^^^^^^ 100% agreed. Same lifestyle, multiple Rvs and always run LP fridge traveling except on the T@B that blows out. Battery drains on 2015 Jeep TV. NuCamp needs to ditch the Norcold before the dissapointment threads start stacking up. Others looking for a trailer stumble across the interwebs and if they find that the trailer they are looking to buy cant keep food cold unless its parked, it may steer them away from the purchase.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    The three way frig has three modes for a reason. Gas for boondocking, electric when available, and 12 volts while traveling. Just remember to switch off 12 volt if TV engine is not running. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Still, this is a huge load on the TV electric system.  Either there is a problem with the norcold or the installation.  I would never hesitate to mention this to anyone interested in the T@B as it does need to be on the table when someone is thinking about a purchase.  Too bad, as almost everything else in this unit is such high quality.
  • Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
  • Options

drpprmt said:

I find this to be very vexing.  We have been rv-ing for 40yrs, in everything from truck campers to class A motorhomes.  The only time I haven't used propane for the refrig while traveling is in my first truck camper that used ice to keep cool.  We recently traveled in our rv all across the country, 6000 miles and used the refrig on propane the entire trip.  We never had an issue.  I am deeply disappointed in what I have encountered and have expressed this to nucamp.  In this day and age being able to use your refrig should not be an issue. 

It's too bad that Norcold couldn't look into the ARB frig/freezer units and come up with a similar wiring/power schematic as the ARB unit runs very efficiently on 12 volts (more so than when on 120 V) and is one of the lowest if not THE lowest power consuming unit on the market and without wreaking havoc to the battery.  Obviously there are patent rights involved in the above, but agree, in today's day and age the manufacturers of these refrigeration units need to come up with an amicable solution to a problem that plaques RV companies and users of their product line.  

I do believe that nuCamp is working behind the scenes to remedy this issue as they did to remedy the heating/venting issue of the three-way Norcold.  I did sent an inquiry to the factory regarding the 12-volt system (asking for an update) and will share anything that comes my way.  
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Thanks Mike.  I will be interested to see what NuCamp does.  We had a 50 qt ARB installed with the build of our CS and could not be happier.  Quiet, efficient, and worry-free.  I am anxious to test it this summer on a 4-5 hour tow in the heat to see how it performs.  I know that you and Verna have had good results.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Some of the ARB's components do in fact live in the T@b--the CS model's 12v fridge!  They share the very same DanFoss compressor.

The difference is the thickness of insulation.  The ARBs have a much lower duty cycle due to thicker insulation so they consume less power.

I believe the new T@b 400s also use a 12v DC fridge only, but a larger one.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    SAM said:
    Thanks Mike.  I will be interested to see what NuCamp does.  We had a 50 qt ARB installed with the build of our CS and could not be happier.  Quiet, efficient, and worry-free.  I am anxious to test it this summer on a 4-5 hour tow in the heat to see how it performs.  I know that you and Verna have had good results.
    I've left mine running inside the (locked) former Equinox I owned in Arizona while shopping and it went up about  2° and the food and produce were cold and fresh.  

One thing I did forgot to do was to adjust the shut off voltage setting while up in Alaska in 2015. I left my vehicle parked for a couple days without charging the battery and it did drain the vehicle battery requiring a jump start.  But other than that I couldn't be happier with the performance of the ARB and have run it on solar off the trailer via an extra Zamp Solar port, creating added frig space and with no adverse impact on my total energy usage for the trailer.  
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    Yes, Wizard,  the T@B 400 has a Norcold 12v DC/120AC only fridge with a 2.7 cu ft capacity that draws somewhere in the range of 3.4A, similar to the ARBs.
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    skwhee said:
    Yes, Wizard,  the T@B 400 has a Norcold 12v DC/120AC only fridge with a 2.7 cu ft capacity that draws somewhere in the range of 3.4A, similar to the ARBs.
    I did get an initial response back from Scott Hubble that is consistent with your info above Steve....

A more official response can be provided by Ed and Marvin, but…

The nature of any 3-way fridge is to suck the life out of a battery…The ARB is not a 3-way, but rather a 2-way (AC/DC only) – as such, the design can be streamlined to run more efficiently on 12v.  This would be demonstrated by the draw on a 3-way in a T@B vs. a Norcold Cooler in the T@G.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Five hours driving to Hocking Hills State Park in Ohio, five hours driving back home 4 days later and my 3-way stayed on with propane during both ways of the trip. About 45 days straight of the 3-way on propane either camping or towing and the only time it wasn't lit was during propane tank change out last winter. Around 90 days in 2016 with the 3-way on propane camping and towing and no problems with the Norcold staying lit. This is the 2015 Norcold 3-way in my 2014 T@B Max S. Oh, and "knock on wood". Now to go turn it off while I take the cold stuff out of it-short break is over--time to unload.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Five hours driving to Hocking Hills State Park in Ohio, five hours driving back home 4 days later and my 3-way stayed on with propane during both ways of the trip. About 45 days straight of the 3-way on propane either camping or towing and the only time it wasn't lit was during propane tank change out last winter. Around 90 days in 2016 with the 3-way on propane camping and towing and no problems with the Norcold staying lit. This is the 2015 Norcold 3-way in my 2014 T@B Max S. Oh, and "knock on wood". Now to go turn it off while I take the cold stuff out of it-short break is over--time to unload.
    Well go figure, mine is the exact same unit that you have in your trailer and will not stay lit.  Must be how I'm holding the steering wheel?   smilie
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    SAM said:
    What does this installation look like? Does it pull out like the T@G coolers? 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Sweet set-up and if my Norcold ever goes out I will do something similar to what you show here.  Very cool!  
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Michigan_Mike ,Now that's what I'm talkin' about!home-img-one
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
     ;)  =)B)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    You'll need a GPS set-up to get back to the trailer too.   =)
  • Options
    Nope, just empties to pick up on the way back! :o
    Spokane, Wa.