Options

Bike rack figured out

Ipsar0Ipsar0 Member Posts: 31
edited July 2017 in Tips & Tricks
Hello, I am new to this forum. I wanted to share my solution for mounting my existing Yakima bike rack.  As you can see if you buy a hitch with a second port on top you can attach existing bike racks. The crank handle on the trailer had to be mounted on the opposite side for my rack to fit in the receptacle. The bike has to be slid all the way forward on the rack to have the clearance when turning.

NOTE:  The prior photos attached to this posting were removed by the forum moderation team as they were too large and do not comply with the forum photo size requirements.  We ask that members please read the forum photo requirements and re-size any photos posted to the forum as over-size photos disrupt discussions and create page loading problems.  Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JannonJannon Member Posts: 50
    Fantastic... thank you for sharing this.  I was wondering how to re-use my bike rack. Perfect solution (and inexpensive)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Please make sure the additional weight doesn't decrease the towing capacity of the hitch and check the ball tow rating (anywhere from 2000-6000#). Your solution looks great!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Gotcha...that was my one concern/thought to investigate before I'd do so
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    I like the fact you put the tongue crank on the other side. 
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    One follow up question...feel silly asking; however, would like to confirm.  Provided the rack and bikes weights were not an issue for the tow hitch and ball, would this count as additional trailer hitch weight?  I'm 99% sure it would; however, would like to be sure 
  • Options
    Jannon. See how the trailer gross weight is 2000lb from my calculations it would take close to 200lbs to exceed the trailer hitch rate. Even with the bike and rack it's not even close. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Jannon, the weight of the rack and bikes will definately contribute to your trailer tongue weight.  Depending on what source you use, it is recommended to have the tongue weight 10 - 15% of the loaded trailer weight.  You can always adjust it by shifting gear inside the trailer.  The trailer tongue weight alone is around 165-175#.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks... yeah, that's what I figured.  Battery and LP tank don't make it any lighter!   Wondering if anyone has gotten really creative and fabricated something out the back to accommodate a 1.25" receiver hitch for a small bike rack.  Perhaps leveraging the axle and spare tire holder (think it's towards the back... need to get my trailer so I can confirm).  Keeping the weight off the tongue.  If i come up with something clever and have it done... I'll definitely post pics.   

Duly noted it would need to be removed or pivot down when opening the back.  Hey...if it gets my bikes to where I'm going, uses my existing rack and keeps weight off the tongue I'd be quite happy!
  • Options
    I think this fits well inside the requirments
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Re using the spare tire holder - it may have been considered by someone on the forum, but you may want to call the factory and ask about it.  I know there are issues with mounting too much weight on the rack of an Outback, also, there is no suspension back there, so be prepared for a lot of downward force on the axle.  What about a car roof rack for the bikes?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    yeah... great point.  was hoping to put a Yakima sky box up there; however, may just need to put the bikes up there instead.  May even be able to fit a slim rack on top to the one side.  Appreciate the responses...this is my biggest challenge and a condition my wife had for me to get it.  Non issue if I wasn't pulling it with an Outback.  That said...always a way!  Roof rack is likely it!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Edited to add: This is just a general statement and not meant for the OP or other peeps who have successfully put their bike racks in the same place!

The Yakima roof rack on the Outback (or any other T@B that has it mounted on the back) has a max weight capacity of 70#. The tire alone is 40#. My sister put Yakima bike racks on the poles holding the tire basket and didn't have an issue - the bikes were very light weight and front tires in the camper. 

The more weight you put on the tail of the camper, the more it will be prone to sway. In other words, sway is a product of tongue weight. Lifting up the tongue by reducing a significant amount of weight and then adding that weight to the way back is a bad thing.

That said, adding a tire mount and two 68# batteries to the front didn't seem to be an issue for people who were not close to their tongue weight maximum.

Having the tongue level is the best. Next best is to have it pointed down a bit. It's bad to have it point upwards. Keep in mind as you check how level your trailer/TV setup is, you need to consider all the stuff plus people and furkid weights, and then all the last minute stuff that you travel with. If your camper tongue isn't totally level and a tad high when you hitch up, don't panic. By the time you load things, all will be ok. :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Actually if look at it using the setup I show does not any weight to the tongue. It's dual setup is a hitch that the tongue connects to. 
  • Options
    DptritDptrit Member Posts: 18
    Ipsar0 nice work. I was looking at similar but had concerns over adding my heavy Kaut 3 bike rack, and the weight of the bikes. My Kaut allows the rack to tip backwards away from TV, to access the rear TV hatch. Does your Yakima and your dual set up allow that? My Subaru Outback has a 200lb tongue weight limit and as a newbie to both the T@B, trailers and towing in general I am taking baby steps with this important carrying bike subject.
  • Options
    I'm new to it as well. Since I am using a Chevy Colorado truck with a trailor with a GVR of only 2000 lbs then I think I should be ok. Bike and rack are only 50lbs. 
    The  yskina bike rack can attach to the hitch from front or back. In my case I have to go out the back. There is not enough room to accommodate the bike the other way around
  • Options
    Roof rack fir bikes is a non starter for me. To much of a hassle
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    edited July 2017
    It seems to me that while the rack and bikes contribute to the total tongue load on the tow vehicle they will have no effect on the load balance (and therefore handling) of the trailer.

My Nissan Frontier V6 has a max tongue weight rating of 630lbs. I don't expect the similarly sized Colorado is much different.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG, it isn't much different. It's listed at 700#. I should have put in my post that I was speaking generally and not to @Ipsar0. His setup is nice and he did his research.

@Ipsar0, I agree, roof racks drive me nuts! I've seen too many bikes wobbling back and forth on vehicle roofs while going 70 mph. Eeep! When my sister said she was putting the Yakima bike rack on the rear of the Outback, all I could think of was not being able to see the bikes and/or if a strap had come loose. I think I have too much affection for my bicycles (note plural lol). If I put a bike rack on, I'd probably put it on Mike M's style (he has a thread with his setup somewhere on here). I'd still be able to see the bikes between the trailer and the TV.
  • Options
    SawtoothSawtooth Member Posts: 18
    Ipsar0,  Looks good.  I like that the bike stays with the TV so that you can drive to a trail head after you've made camp.  I also like that it sits behind the TV to avoid bug splatter.  My only reservation about doing the same thing is that I don't like frame mounted bike racks.  I prefer the kind where the rack only grabs the wheels.  It's like I need the double hitch, but with the second port extended all the way up above the crank arm.  Not sure... still need to figure out the bike rack solution...
  • Options
    I agree regarding the limitations/hassles of racks. I've used various types but now carry the bikes clamped to the truck bed. They are out of the way but easily accessible, always secure, and ready for transport if needed. Mine are under a cap, but that's not absolutely necessary.

I realize it's only an option for those with a pickup that's not already filled with other gear, but it's worth considering if you've got the T/V to accommodate it. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sawtooth said:
    Ipsar0,  Looks good.  I like that the bike stays with the TV so that you can drive to a trail head after you've made camp.  I also like that it sits behind the TV to avoid bug splatter.  My only reservation about doing the same thing is that I don't like frame mounted bike racks.  I prefer the kind where the rack only grabs the wheels.  It's like I need the double hitch, but with the second port extended all the way up above the crank arm.  Not sure... still need to figure out the bike rack solution...
    I think @Michigan_Mike had his clamped only to the wheels. Am I remembering that right, Mike?
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    I agree regarding the limitations/hassles of racks. I've used various types but now carry the bikes clamped to the truck bed. They are out of the way but easily accessible, always secure, and ready for transport if needed. Mine are under a cap, but that's not absolutely necessary.

I realize it's only an option for those with a pickup that's not already filled with other gear, but it's worth considering if you've got the T/V to accommodate it. 
    A long time ago, in a place far, far away.... I had a '94 Chevy extended cab with a wedge top and a grill guard - Dallas cowboys colors (silver truck, blue belly). Well, had to be since I bought it while in TX! I made a redneck 3-mt bike clamp system on a modified 2x6 in the truck. It could be positioned with the tires towards the tailgate or towards the cab. Of course, that's when I was 20 yrs younger, had no fear of those TX rocks or cattle guards and Redneck-Solutions-R-Us" ruled the day! :lol:
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    'Dem redneck solutions still rule the day, @Ratkity --you pretty much just described my setup!  I'm even more proud of the cap that the bikes ride under; I paid $10 for it at a yard sale, spruced it up, and it's now pushing twenty years doing duty on it's third truck. (And don't even get me started on the redneck kayak rack I built on top of it!)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    O.M.G. $10??? Paint me jealous! 20 years? Wow. When I sold my truck after 13 years, mine was still going strong..stronger than the Chevy's paint job, btw.

I put a redneck canoe rack on mine!!!! Imagine a huge aluminum canoe on this '94 Chevy that has a wedge-shaped bed topper. 
  • Options
    Well, $10 was the buy in--I've probably put over ten times that into paint, fasteners, trim, etc. over the years, not to mention many hours of repair and modification (but that's part of the fun). Still a whole lot cheaper than a new cap with a fancy kayak rack installed. It even looks pretty good. From a distance. If you squint...
    2015 T@B S

• Options
  • Options
    Just curious...any issues with the bikes hitting the trailer when you turn?  Wondering if that would be an issue...perhaps it depends upon the bike rack?
  • Options
    with mine I can fit four bikes but will only be able to put on two while on this set up.  They have to be moved as far forward as possible to make the clearance needed. Its close but its good to go
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    nice...going to give this a try.  As a weight trade off, going to remove the full propane tank and use 1 LB size.  Searching the forum now...swear I saw a post on that (believe it requires an adapter for the propane attachment...but seemed straightforward.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Ratkity said:
    Sawtooth said:
    I think @Michigan_Mike had his clamped only to the wheels. Am I remembering that right, Mike?
    I have the Arvika bike rack  that is mounted on the front of the trailer frame. The wheels actually sit in a grooved tray of sorts (straps hold the wheels in place) and there is a support bar at the top that connects and clamps to the bike frame.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ