rkj__'s Ramblings

rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
edited July 2017 in Introductions
Hello All,

I'm rkj__, and last night, my wife and I became the proud new owners of a very lightly used 2016 T@b CS-S.

I have not taken the camera out to take some decent pictures yet, but in my excitement last night, I did manage to snap this picture on my phone after backing the trailer into the driveway.  I was successful on only my second try.  :-)

I'm going to use this thread to ramble on about our ramblings, or something like that.

Part 1:  Why did we buy a T@b?
My wife and I have been married about a year and a half, and live in a comfortable house with our mini Labradoodle we named Hilton.  She got her name when we cancelled our honeymoon reservation at the Fallsview Hilton, and used the money to buy her instead.

Sometimes, we just need to get away.  Sometimes we decide to do that spontaneously.  We both did a fair bit of camping growing up, from backcountry canoe trips, to tent trailers, to RVs.  But, since we met, we only went camping once together, when we borrowed my parents' tent trailer.  It seemed that a lack of gear, and time were holding us back. 

In May, we went on a last minute, spontaneously planned trip to Grand Bend ON.  For that trip, we stayed at a B&B, and had a great time.  On that trip, we passed by Kelder's Trailer sales, and a lineup of cute T@b and T@g trailers near the road caught my wife's attention.  We decided we would stop on the way back.  When we stopped to take a look, we were quite intrigued.

We did a little research online, about the different configurations available.  Without too much debate, we decided the CS-S suited us best.
The features that mattered most to us were: Cute, Outdoor Kitchen, Bathroom, and Air Conditioning.  The T@b CS-S was really the only trailer on the market that nailed those three points.  But, was it just a dream?

As fate would have it, our local RV dealer, Niagara Trailers, had a very lightly used CS-S, which was exactly what we were looking for.  Were we ready to buy?  The idea had only just entered our mind.  But, being the spontaneous couple we are, we figured it was now or never.  We did not want to let that trailer slip away, and regret it later.  So, we went for it!  Niagara Trailers treated us very well.  They were a breath of fresh air, after another shop I will not name, made no effort to help us. 

This little trailer will allow us to keep most of our stuff packed, and make a quick getaway on Friday after work, drive somewhere nice, pull into a camp site, and not have to worry about a bunch of setup in the dark, or rain.  Even on a regular weekend, we can have a full camping experience, without it all feeling too rushed.

Adventure Awaits!

We are wasting no time, and taking the trailer to Rondeau Provincial Park tonight!  Rather than going into too much detail on my initial impressions, I think I will save that until after this weekend.  This is starting to get a little long anyway.  I will try to snap some decent pictures for you all as well, because everyone loves pictures.

Happy Camping!
2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Comments

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @rkj__ WELCoME!! It sounds like you and the wife will have a blast. You two sound like you have adventures ready to happen and now you are equipped to do them.

T@B University B@dge for only taking 2x to back it up! Small trailers are harder to back up because the sweet spot is so small for it to turn. That said, I've found a larger trailer a pita because I'm so used to backing up tiny trailers!!

Again, welcome and happy camping!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • DINDAnLANDINDAnLAN Member Posts: 75
    Congrats! We also enjoy that we have our T@B packed and ready to go and within an hour of being home from work we can be on road. Happy trails!
    Linda & Dan
    Cleveland, Ohio
    2018 Ford F150 XLT pulling a 2020 T@B 400
    LIFE IS GOOD!
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @rkj__, And let the adventures begin! Welcome aboard!! Ha, 'ya put your 'Hilton' money in the absolute right place! Cool dog. Can't wait for the ensuing parts to your adventures. T@B on!!!! B)

2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• LibrarydragonLibrarydragon Member Posts: 103
    Welcome, here's to many happy adventures!
    Sara&Carl
    2015 max s outback, TV 2011 RAV4, V6, 4x4, & 2017 Tacoma Off-road 4x4
    Soquel, CA
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    ericnliz said:
    @rkj__, ... 'ya put your 'Hilton' money in the absolute right place! Cool dog. ...

We've never regretted that choice.  :-)
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @rkj__ Congratulations and welcome! Sounds like you know what you want and got it, which means now you can play and never have to take down a sleeping tent in the rain again! I'm looking forward to your pics, too!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    @rkj__ - Welcome to the f@mily!  We also stumbled upon a very lightly used CS-S 2016 last October.  Love it for the same reasons you do.  Outdoor kitchen was a must for us!  Love it sitting in the garage ready to go!  We have had a blast tinkering, outfitting it, and trying her out as I know you two will also.  This forum is fantastic... Ask any question and you will make new friends in the process.  Happy T@bventures!  Keep us posted with pics along the way. :)
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    I love your story and Hilton. Have fun. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
    Checking in from the camp site.  Overall, loving the trailer, and learning lots.

We have discovered the USB charging ports do not work.  All the other 12V features seem to be working.  Is there anything else to check before concluding the USB port is defective?  We tried two different cable / phone setups.

A quick search brought up a thread from 2016 where a few owners mentioned having defective USB ports replaced.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have replaced my USB port once and replaced the replacement once. They just do not last very long....or they last for a long time. Look on Amazon--they vary in price. Take your pick. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Mine worked, but more people with 12V usb ports complain about failure (not just T@Bs or T@Gs). Since they do take a small bit of power to just exist without anything plugged in, why not just get rid of them? Just a thought :)

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Silver320Silver320 Member Posts: 30
    Ours failed too and when the dealer replaced it he said that even though there are 2 ports they only put out 2.1A combined and will burn up if you try to draw more than that. So only use one port at a time. He did mention that the cigarette port is good for something like 8-10A so he suggested getting a USB adapter to put into that and use that instead.
    2017 T@B Max S (Silver-Silver), TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
    States Visited Map
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    We had the wiring to the USB disconnected to eliminate phantom draw.  We use a 12 v adapter for USB charging.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Thanks for the responses.  Clearly not an uncommon problem. Using a 12V adapter for now.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F474DVG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and it works well...except for all those flaming blue lights!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    I bought just a usb with extra outlets thingie at Home Depot. I found out the usb lights up green when empty and turn red when something is in them! Ok.. what's with the lights. lol. 
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Nice "dump" there @rkj__
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    Nice summary notes.  Sounds all in all like a great first trip.  We have a CS-S also.  Love the outside kitchen.  Tinker with things... Water should come out strong.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

2Cougs said:
    Nice summary notes.  Sounds all in all like a great first trip.  We have a CS-S also.  Love the outside kitchen.  Tinker with things... Water should come out strong.
    With regards to the water, when doing dishes, I try to use as little water as possible, so that means rinsing with the tap far from full open.  That slow stream is too close to the back of the sink, meaning I often get water on the back of the counter top. 
    @rkj__, Nope, didn't have to be a "trooper" at all. I enjoy reading about other folks' experiences. :) Sounds like all in all, you had a great outing with a good learning curve involved. Adaptation is the name of the game using the T@B trailers, per our experiences. You will soon find that some trips require more adapting than others, and you'll adjust your needs & wants accordingly.
    Ref. Part 2: Arrival and Setup: I'd like to offer a suggestion for 'turning' your trailer, as I've experienced the same awkwardness on soft, un-even ground as well. I have two pieces of 1/4" plywood that I cut to stand vertical, full width in the bed of our Chevy pickups next to the cab, or tailgate, depending on how I choose to load for camping. I use them to place under the trailer jack wheel, and have two, so I can move them according to which way I choose to move the trailer. Simply move, adjust, move again, and repeat until you have the trailer where you desire. Makes it a WHOLE lot easier to maneuver! Good part is the 1/4" wood doesn't take up hardly any room at all when stored, and is light enough to easily move. At times, I also lie it flat, side by side to make sliding things in the truck bed easier as well.
    Ref. 3B: Cooking and Utilities: I have for a while now, used a collapsible 5 gallon water container as we boondock a lot, and water is usually NOT available at our campsite. ( My last one took a dive on the metal corner of a picnic bench, so the 20+ year old one is getting replaced with 2) Easy to store as they collapse, and not too bad to fill, and carry. I also found a wand type pump that operates on 2 D cell batteries to use for filling the fresh water tank. The hose on the pump is long enough so I can put the water containers on the ground, and not have to lift, or hold them. Found the pump at Walmart for I think $10.00. Just a suggestion, as I found trying to lift & fill kind of a pain. @Verna & @Michigan_Mike I know both use the gravity feed method, and they might chime in & give their 2 cents worth.
    Just thought I'd give you a couple suggestions. Sounds like you're well on your way to figuring out what will & won't work for you. Have fun out there, and thanks for sharing. The photos were great!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

edited July 2017
    I loved your picts and ramblings!! My sis had a tent like that, but it was one of those Coleman easy up tents. We put it over the picnic table to keep out bugs. We also played cards in it and lounged outside and read until dark. It prevented us from getting totally eaten by the mosquitoes (they were bad that year).

For your first backing up AND in the dark, you get a T@B/T@G University Badge. 

I made the mistake of not filling up with water the first time. Off to the box store to get a 2.5 gal tank (all I can lift fairly high). Then I must have had some mud in the air vent port. On my 2015 T@B it was a tube underneath near the fill port - which I had changed out to a non-flap setup (My port flap would come off). I ran into some good luck (rare) and the spout of the water tank fit the fill-spout perfectly. The force of the water going in pushed out the little bit of dirt clogging the overflow/air vent. Of course, that meant 5 runs to the water spigot. Not just the 11 gal in the fresh water tank, but the pump primed itself and the Alde drank some water.... I was tired after that, so I understand your pain. I always seem to have to setup after dark. My friends think it's funny to set up a runway and yell opposing directions as I backup. My 'ignore' feature in my brain works flawlessly LOL.
    ericnliz said:
    @rkj__, Nope, didn't have to be a "trooper" at all. I enjoy reading about other folks' experiences. :) Sounds like all in all, you had a great outing with a good learning curve involved. Adaptation is the name of the game using the T@B trailers, per our experiences. You will soon find that some trips require more adapting than others, and you'll adjust your needs & wants accordingly.

Ref. Part 2: Arrival and Setup: I'd like to offer a suggestion for 'turning' your trailer, as I've experienced the same awkwardness on soft, un-even ground as well. I have two pieces of 1/4" plywood that I cut to stand vertical, full width in the bed of our Chevy pickups next to the cab, or tailgate, depending on how I choose to load for camping. I use them to place under the trailer jack wheel, and have two, so I can move them according to which way I choose to move the trailer. Simply move, adjust, move again, and repeat until you have the trailer where you desire. Makes it a WHOLE lot easier to maneuver! Good part is the 1/4" wood doesn't take up hardly any room at all when stored, and is light enough to easily move. At times, I also lie it flat, side by side to make sliding things in the truck bed easier as well.

Ref. 3B: Cooking and Utilities: I have for a while now, used a collapsible 5 gallon water container as we boondock a lot, and water is usually NOT available at our campsite. ( My last one took a dive on the metal corner of a picnic bench, so the 20+ year old one is getting replaced with 2) Easy to store as they collapse, and not too bad to fill, and carry. I also found a wand type pump that operates on 2 D cell batteries to use for filling the fresh water tank. The hose on the pump is long enough so I can put the water containers on the ground, and not have to lift, or hold them. Found the pump at Walmart for I think $10.00. Just a suggestion, as I found trying to lift & fill kind of a pain. @Verna & @Michigan_Mike I know both use the gravity feed method, and they might chime in & give their 2 cents worth.
    Just thought I'd give you a couple suggestions. Sounds like you're well on your way to figuring out what will & won't work for you. Have fun out there, and thanks for sharing. The photos were great!

My wife was thinking something firm to put under the little wheel would be a good idea.  I was not sure what to use, that would bend, but not break.  If you have had good luck with 1/4" plywood, I might have to try that myself.  Thanks for the tip.

We could have saved ourselves a little trouble by filling our water tank at the dump / fill station available at the park before landing.  Fortunately, the gravity fill is pretty quick, but indeed a little awkward without further improvements.  How long does it take your pump to fill the tank?

We could always pre-fill at home too I suppose.  If we don't intend to drink the water, is there any reason not to use a garden hose?  I only have a 25ft drinking water hose, which would not reach from my backyard to the trailers fill point.
    @rkj__, Great questions, and a little follow-up for you:
    You'll find the plywood flexible enough to not break. Another tip for the plywood when maneuvering. Don't go all the way to the end of it before moving the other piece, so you can place it underneath of the one the wheel is on. That way, you avoid the "bump" to go over when moving.
    The pump takes about 3 to 4 minutes per jug to empty. Better than having to hold any weight up, and maneuver, and that's why I went that direction.
    Filling your tank prior to leaving is okay if you don't mind hauling the extra weight. I have to go over some pretty steep mountain passes usually, and prefer not to add any more weight than I absolutely have to. At times, I do fill before leaving home if I know the water where I'm going is not easily accessible.
    Your last inquiry made me laugh because my spigot at home is WAY more than 25' away! I'd say, more like 75' to 100'! I use my garden hose all the time to fill the tank when I choose to. Go to Amazon, and get the Camco fill adapter with the plastic flexible hose, and shut-off valve, you'll love it. If your city water is chlorinated, I would still drink from the fresh water tank, I do. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've taken a drink of water from the garden hose! Just sayin'.  ;)
    If you have any more questions, please ask, and I'll give 'em my best shot. Hope this helps 'ya out!
    Spokane, Wa.

As an add-on to @ericnliz's comment, I attach my official 25' water hose to the garden hose. My water hose has a filter on it (1 season use only). It'll take out any sand or whatever decided to crawl inside the 50' garden hose. I know the cautions about drinking from a non-approved water hose (mostly because of heat and chemical leaching when the hose sits in the sun) - but after running it until the water is cold and then drinking from it as a kid while cooling myself with it after my paper route in 100F+ degree weather never gave me dain bramage! ;) 
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Ratkity said:
    As an add-on to @ericnliz's comment, I attach my official 25' water hose to the garden hose. My water hose has a filter on it (1 season use only). It'll take out any sand or whatever decided to crawl inside the 50' garden hose. I know the cautions about drinking from a non-approved water hose (mostly because of heat and chemical leaching when the hose sits in the sun) - but after running it until the water is cold and then drinking from it as a kid while cooling myself with it after my paper route in 100F+ degree weather never gave me dain bramage! ;) 
    Well we certainly won't elaborate on or touch upon that last sentence!    =)   :)

But agree, we survived drinks from garden hoses, lead paint on cribs and window sills, no seat belts, no helmets when riding bikes, etc.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    Wow!! Great picts and descriptions!! Oooooo Settlers... Do you have any wood for a sheep? Bahahaha.... Luv it.
    Ratkity said:
    Wow!! Great picts and descriptions!! Oooooo Settlers... Do you have any wood for a sheep? Bahahaha.... Luv it.
    Wood for sheep?  Naw, I can't do that.  All I got is sheep!