Park Fee increases?

jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    edited October 2017
     It's a big jump, maybe will see less of an increase in the end.  We do need more funds to maintain our parks.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Let's try to keep this politics free. We are going to have a lot of different opinions on this.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited October 2017
    I agree with Mike, provided the fees get applied directly to the preservation and maintenance of the parks.

Most of Acadia (one of the affected parks) used to be real easy to access without a pass. In recent years, however, the NPS has stepped up both education and enforcement. Correlated with that effort, I've also noticed a whole lot more trail maintenance and other improvements.

Another goal may be to stem the even increasing vehicle traffic and encourage people to use services like Acadia's extensive (and free) Island Explorer bus service.

Ultimately, the consumer will decide what a commodity is worth. However, judging the by the throngs who flock to the park's main attractions on a high summer day, the market is in no danger of collapsing!   
    2015 T@B S
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Michigan_Mike, I refer to my pass as a well-seasoned traveler pass. ;)
    @ScottG, I'm thinkin' 'ya hit the nail RIGHT on the head with your comment about the direction the fees are applied....maintenance & preservation. Seems they get mis-guided & mis-applied more times than not. Sad, but true. :s
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    If you can still get a National pass for $80 that gives you access to parks with an entry fee of $70 seems like a real bargain now. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Whoa! I checked that link out. 
    That's s hefty increase!

I thought the definition of the national park system was 'to preserve and to make the wild lands of America available to all', according to it's charter or something. Maybe I'm in fantasy-land.
    So much for access for all.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    edited October 2017
    Last year in Acadia National Park at Jordan Pond Teahouse. A tree trimming service was there trimming a tree by the tables. (Behind me)

This year, same place, the tree has been ripped out along with everything else. Supposedly putting down new sod where the tables were before.  Smells funny to me. 

Also on one of the trails under improvement, all the tree roots running across the trail were cut out, making it easier to walk. This is preserving nature??  Funds well spent?
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Try trimming a few branches from a tree in your campsite in any NP when a ranger is walking by and see what occurs.  I'll bet that prior to any of this tree trimming or root removal it was discussed heavily and debated as most parks want to keep things as is, intact and will only make these changes if it is a liability issue or creates a danger to the public.   

I've often wondered why they would allow people to climb an antiquated cable trail (or whatever it is) up a rock face like half dome without requiring tourists to be strapped in via a safety lanyard, trained, etc.  

Okay, I'm getting a bit off topic here but you get my drift!   ;)  :o
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Don't know what's goin' on there, @Roamey, but I do know that maintenance, accessibility, and preservation do not necessarily all refer to the same thing.

With regard to national parks, preservation is obviously balanced against the other objectives.

Now, if you're really looking for that "forever wild" experience, check out Baxter State Park next time you are in the area.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
  • TammaraTammara Member Posts: 34
    I agree, the parks really need to funds for repairs and maintenance (and hope that the revenue from the funds remains with the parks).

The increase is only during peak season. Peak season would run from May 1 to Sept. 30 in these parks: Arches, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Denali, Glacier, Grand Canyon, Grand Teton, Olympic, Sequoia Kings Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite and Zion.

The peak season would run from June 1 to Oct. 30 at Acadia, Mount Rainier, Rocky Mountain and Shenandoah. And Joshua Tree’s peak season would be from Jan. 1 to May 31.

Personally, I like to avoid these parks when they are are really busy.  Most of my visits to Yosemite (only 3 hrs away) have been in Oct/Nov and March/May. However, some of these parks (like Denali) can only be accessed during peak season, depending on the weather. (Zion valley opened Memorial Day weekend the year I visited due to late snows.)

When I bought my annual pass last month at Lava Beds National Monument, I asked if it was good for Yosemite and Olympic (currently at $30). Yep. All of the parks, monuments, etc. in the NPS system. 

2017 T@B 320 S     Jeep Cherokee 3.2L V6
    States Visited Map

• KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    We bought the 80.00 year long pass and even at the old prices considered it a great deal. We bought it in CO and it was good for the state parks there too. We hope to get more use out of it before it expires next september.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
    edited October 2017
    KBaggins1 said:
    We bought the 80.00 year long pass and even at the old prices considered it a great deal. We bought it in CO and it was good for the state parks there too. We hope to get more use out of it before it expires next september.
    That is interesting, do different states take the national parks pass for their state parks? or is it only if it's purchased in that state?
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Some states are cutting park budgets, wanting them to “pay their own way”, with the thought that people who use them should pay for them.  That requires fee increases.  That argument could be used for the public school system.. 

No opinion from me on this..  You can’t pin this on me copper!
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    @dsatwork, I know in California, the annual national park pass does not include entry to state parks. You have to buy another annual pass for state parks.

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I believe my wife bought us the "lifetime" senior pass...  ( I think...)
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

@dsatwork, I know in California, the annual national park pass does not include entry to state parks. You have to buy another annual pass for state parks.

Yes, I know that California doesn't, I just assumed nobody else did either. We camp all over the South West, so I need to find out which states offer something free with the national pass.
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    The US NPS Senior Pass -a lifetime pass-increased from $10 to $80 in August 2017. It is for citizens over 62 years of age. While it doesn't count in Oregon State parks, it sure is nice to have! Especially with the NPS increases being considered. Of course, now I feel even more guilty because I agree that our national parks need more $$ for maintenance. 

edited October 2017
    Twojgrams said:
    The US NPS Senior Pass -a lifetime pass-increased from $10 to $80 in August 2017. It is for citizens over 62 years of age. While it doesn't count in Oregon State parks, it sure is nice to have! Especially with the NPS increases being considered. Of course, now I feel even more guilty because I agree that our national parks need more $$ for maintenance. 
    Just consider yourself grandfathered, grandmothered, grandparented (pick the term that fits you best) in..... :)
    Oh yeah. I just want to get to the National Mall before it gets its own entrance fee! Oops! Did I say that out loud? must not give anyone any ideas.

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yep, NY State surprised me one day this summer, when I asked if my 'senior' National Parks pass would get me a discount at the state park we were entering. They let us in for free! 
    Being 'old' is great!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    ChanW said:
    Yep, NY State surprised me one day this summer, when I asked if my 'senior' National Parks pass would get me a discount at the state park we were entering. They let us in for free! 
    Being 'old' is great!
    Nice benefit
    And, again, the "geezer pass" folks make me pine for old age.... =)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

edited October 2017
    I agree, though, the maintenance backlog is in the billions of dollars and something has to be done. By targeting these parks you might also help cyrb the overcrowding in those parks. 

Cuyahoga Valley and Great Smoky Moubtain, as well as many National Monuments are always free.

The NPS has experienced record attendance and we are, to some degree, at least, "loving our parks to death."

I prefer to hike and ahoot on NFS and BLM land due to the overcrowding and thr more dog friendly rules.

@jkjenn -just keep breathing girl, you'll get there.

jkjenn said:
    And, again, the "geezer pass" folks make me pine for old age.... =)
    Me too, I'll be 60 next month and I never wanted to be 62 so bad in all my life.
    And you too @dsatwork, just stay on the right side of the grass! Don't worry, these little axioms collect like dust, a precursor if you will, as we enter our dotage!

@Twojgrams Yikes I had to look up dotage...I didn't know it existed 5 minutes ago and now officially hate that word! the period of life in which a person is old and weak. I got a cold that has been dragging on for 3 weeks but OLD AND WEAK? REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh Lordy @dsatwork! I meant the royal we (meaning me) not the common we, meaning you and me! You are not in your dotage! just keep saying that over and over.

Click Click Click I'm not in my dotage...I'm not in my dotage...I'm not in my dotage...I'm not in my dotage...I'm not in my dotage...I'm not in my dotage...