No microwave???

I have a 320S on order and I just realized there is no microwave. Can you please share ideas for how you handle heating up food?
Dreaming of a T@B for girl camping. Live in Western, NY.

Comments

• AnnMAnnM Member Posts: 7
    @Luckyj - it just seems so archaic!! 

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I mostly camp without shore power, so a microwave would be about as useful as the air conditioner that now sits in my garage attic.

In addition to the propane stove in the T@B, we have a portable stove that can be used outside. Together with a small propane grill, you can cook or heat just about anything.

Weber Q grills are particularly popular. We use ours for grilling, griddling, and even baking.
    2015 T@B S
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    AnnM said:
    I have a 320S on order and I just realized there is no microwave. Can you please share ideas for how you handle heating up food?
    I have a very small microwave from WalMart that I bring along. I have a clamshell, so mine sits on a small table under an EZ-Up. Some folks just bring a small one and put it on the counter.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    AnnM said:
    Shore power (or a generator) is required to run a microwave. Many of us do a lot of our camping off the grid so a microwave would be a useless waste of precious space. We heat food the old fashioned way with pots & pans on the stove. I’m also going to start experimenting with a small rice cooker when I have power. And many people like the Instapot. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    edited January 2018
    @AnnM, Mrs. @Dalehelman likes her creature comforts and has quite the set up, including ice maker, microwave and toaster oven. Happened by their campsite once when she was pulling chocolate chip cookies hot out of the little oven! It was cold and pouring buckets of rain, but under their awning it was delightful! I almost never dry camp, usually always hooked up to shore power. I bought an ice maker for DH, who loves ice in his pop and I might just love it more than he does! You figure out how you camp, then figure out how to make it happen! Have fun with it all!

PS- I still use my propane Coleman camp stove for cooking and heating water for tea and washing dishes. I am usually out for 3-4 days, so I cut up a lot of my veges, etc ahead of the trip and just cook them on up when I'm there.

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I would rather have a toaster oven than a microwave. That being said, I survived perfectly fine without either for three months, 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Guess I'm just plain "old school". I hardly even use the microwave at home! Give me a good campfire, or a good 2 burner Coleman stove, a Pit Barrel & I'll fix ya'll a feast fit for a king! =)B);)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• AnnMAnnM Member Posts: 7
    Thanks all! IT sounds like I will survive. I doubt I will be baking cookies but I do have some options. 

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @AnnM :rofl:  I’d be willing to bet they were the packaged dough, just open and bake. Either way, they were good! It’s always fun to see what others
    do with their Tab, and how the accessorize their sites! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    edited January 2018
    @AnnM, Cookies? Cake? I see a Dutch oven in YOUR future!
    And...if 'ya know how to make REALLY good peach kobler, or peach pie...... =);)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Dutch oven cherry cobbler!!

Served with vanilla ice cream.. or homemade whipped cream (Even better!!).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    a friend of mine got the biolite pizza dome kit, I bet it could make cookies!

https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/pizzadome-bundle
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
    Tabaz said:
    I only cook with my microwave. It's a Westinghouse 700w portable. With shore power, just plug it in. When Boondocking, you can use a 1000W generator or solar. LOVE my microwave - no dishes, pots to clean - AND you get a high sodium, bland meal in under 3 minutes. 
    You are NOT buying the right meals if they're bland. Sodium levels? Forgetaboutit! LOL. My luxury microwave treat - Amy's Salsa Verde Cheese Torilla.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    With a little experimentation and practice, you can bake just about anything on a small propane grill. (We frequently enjoy fresh baked scones as a camp breakfast.)

Nomad left the forum some time ago, but this discussion he started in 2015 was enormously popular. The photos alone could convince one to swear off microwaves for good. I'd love to here some updates from those who have adopted this idea!
    2015 T@B S
  • foxdenfoxden Member Posts: 148
    I use the Weber Q exclusively when I camp.  Typically one side griddle and one side grill.  Vegetables grill really well.  If I need to reheat anything or if I want to bake, I put two wok racks down on the grill and then a 1/4 cookie sheet on top of them. Bread/tortillas are just tossed on the grill for a few minutes.  If I have the time, I will make a few main dishes ahead of time and put them in small disposable aluminum loaf pans I get at the grocery store and just heat them up with the grill set at 350.  I also bought the adapter so that I could connect the grill to the large propane tank on the T@B.  Much better than the small propane bottles.
    2017 Max S - Silver/Red - T@briolet -  2016 Jeep Cherokee - Fredericksburg, TX
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I have a microwave in my home kitchen but only ever use it for heating a cup of water for tea or rewarming leftovers. I don't "cook" in it so I don't miss one when camping. If we're traveling and have electricity, I use a portable grill, a Cuisinart countertop oven and a one burner propane stove. If we're going to be camping in one spot for a while I'll bring the grill, a 2 burner propane stove, and either an Outback Oven or a camp Dutch oven.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    edited January 2018
    I will defend your right to use whatever appliance you want!  Here are lots of Sharp Half Pint microwave ovens.  Making it work on an inverter may be tricky, but go for it!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=half+pint+microwave&_frs=1

PS:  looking at Amazon reviews, several truck drivers/hunters/campers, etc claim it works well on larger inverters, 1800 watts, etc.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Yes, far be it from to criticize how one prepares a meal.  Anything is better then eating dry Raman noodles! :o
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    @4ncar , Top Ramen and bagels was all I ever used to carry to camp out.  Cooking and cleaning was too much work!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @pthomas745 been there! Lol thus the reference!;)
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    Ramen noodles and stale bagels were always on the menu as a college student! Since I was at an Ag School, I always had access to free fresh eggs. After getting my doctorate, it was a long time before I could eat eggs. :lol:
  • JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    That's what campfires are for!
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
    Hey @Verna, I saw the review of the Omnia oven that you posted on Amazon. Are you still happy with it?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    No microwave for me, as I camp off grid, but I LOVE my Outback oven for baking.  It makes the best cookies!  I usually cook using a cast iron skillet on the stove for one pot meals.  I travel very light, don't even pack my Weber Q.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Marceline, yes, I am still happy with it. I have a new recipe for a healthy snack I want to try in the next few days. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    @JandJ92010, Campfires are great for cooking,I agree. The problem that we experience here in the great North West is the summer burn bans. That's when you have to get creative!
    Spokane, Wa.

gooselady said:
    No microwave for me, as I camp off grid, but I LOVE my Outback oven for baking.  It makes the best cookies!  I usually cook using a cast iron skillet on the stove for one pot meals.  I travel very light, don't even pack my Weber Q.
    Unfortunately Backpackers Pantry has discontinued the Outback Oven.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    We have a toaster oven that we bring when we have shore power, but we're wanting to do more boondocking so we purchased a nice portable propane grill. It has a temp gauge on the cover so I'm going to try using it as an oven. Also, I've noticed that dutch oven cooking is quite popular, so I want to start learning to use one as well. We have a nice stainless steel stove top pressure cooker, so I'm planning to start using it on camping trips. As someone said, it's all about determining your needs and then figuring out what works for you.

Gail & John