Options

What Do People Think Of The New Little Guy MAX Compared To The T@B 400?

Comments

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    That’s awesome! And for clarification, I meant that I think it’ll come down to how much we like either in person rather than raw data. Cuteness wins every time
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    marknjudy said:
    That’s awesome! And for clarification, I meant that I think it’ll come down to how much we like either in person rather than raw data. Cuteness wins every time
    Yes, I agree, not just cuteness but also just having a certain feeling we get when inside. Either one would be very nice to have!

Gail & John 

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    We saw the LG Max at the Cleveland RV Show. The unit on display had the off road package so with that, ground clearance shouldn't be an issue. The interior looked nice enough but, 2 TVs? Really? We go camping to get away from all that stuff. If you are going to sit around and watch TV, you might as well stay home. Other than that it would be doable. Much better build quality than a lot of the other trailers we saw. Still love our T@B more, it's the keeper.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    Good info on ground clearance and interior quality. TVs are a non factor to us whether there are 1, 2 or none. 
  • Options
    Brett_HoneycuttBrett_Honeycutt Member Posts: 12
    My wife an i just went through many of the same thought processes and decided to buy the 400.  We just took our first trip in it and loved it.
    T@b 400, Nissan Frontier
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    marknjudy said:
    Please keep us updated as well. This is fun. 

I’m ok with the a synchronus dining area. I see us setting that are up as a big sofa with pillows and I like that small uncovered area as a table of sorts. 

I agree about the tail on the max, but no one is saying thry bottomed out. Had a dealer tell me it sits hight than a Tab 320 even without the raised axel option. 

I gotta get to Princess Craft soon!!
    Dylan, from Little Guy, told me bottoming out was an issue.

The dealer did not properly account for departure angle. The height is only one factor in bottoming out. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I received this comment from Chris Baum of Little Guy:

Regarding the "bottoming out" issue, I'm not aware of anyone at Little Guy corporately being concerned with this as an issue. In extreme circumstances this could be an issue and I'm not aware of anyone at the office taking a call where a buyer had purchased and wanted a refund with this being the case. Depending on where you like to camp, and many of our buyers do like to camp at some non traditional sites, go with the Rough Rider Package as the upgrade is inexpensive and you'll have piece of mind in the added clearance.
  • Options
    Someone on the T@B Facebook page posted about having just purchased the LG Max and took it for their first camping trip. They were surprised when I brought up the bottoming out issue, said they had no problems, and I don't think they had the Rough Rider package, though that would be appealing to me. However, I think you would need to go over a pretty big bump or dip for it to be a problem. 

Gail & John 

• Options
    marknjudy said:
    I received this comment from Chris Baum of Little Guy:

Regarding the "bottoming out" issue, I'm not aware of anyone at Little Guy corporately being concerned with this as an issue. In extreme circumstances this could be an issue and I'm not aware of anyone at the office taking a call where a buyer had purchased and wanted a refund with this being the case. Depending on where you like to camp, and many of our buyers do like to camp at some non traditional sites, go with the Rough Rider Package as the upgrade is inexpensive and you'll have piece of mind in the added clearance.
    Chris might want to ask his right hand man, Dylan. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    SeanmurrySeanmurry Member Posts: 15
    I am seriously looking at the TAB400.  The Little Guy Max does not appeal to me.  However there is a new trailer coming on the market that does look interesting.  It is the Hymer Eriba Touring trailer, in particular their model 542.  Has an interesting queen bed, that is part queen and part single beds.  Allows you to sleep together with your partner but allows easy exit without having to crawl over your partner.  Also has a pop up roof reducing drag and a lower centre of gravity.  These have been sold in Europe for 5 decades and are now being built in Canada.  The fit and finish look superb.  They are suppose to be debuting these models at the end of Feb.  They won't be cheap, but neither is the TAB400.  If you go online you can see a few different You Tube walk throughs that show the trailer quite well.  Also lighter than the TAB400
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @Seanmurry I really liked the looks and amenities of the 400 until I saw one yesterday at the RV show. Personally, for me it felt cramped with a lot of unusable space compared to my 320S. As amazing as the 400 bathroom is, how much camping time do I spend in there? As much extra storage as the 400 has, I have not filled up every last space of my 320. My 320S can seat 4 adults comfortably around the table, the 400 could not. I'm very happy with my 320S!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @Seanmurry I really liked the looks and amenities of the 400 until I saw one yesterday at the RV show. Personally, for me it felt cramped with a lot of unusable space compared to my 320S. As amazing as the 400 bathroom is, how much camping time do I spend in there? As much extra storage as the 400 has, I have not filled up every last space of my 320. My 320S can seat 4 adults comfortably around the table, the 400 could not. I'm very happy with my 320S!
    Good info, thanks!

Gail & John 

• Options
    Interesting. We had 5+ people inside of @skwhee 's 400 at Ucamp while they were giving tours and never felt crowded. 

• Options
    Can’t really buy into cramped either, but I’m still waiting to get inside one. 
  • Options
    I shouldn’t try to watch bad football and write forum entries. @homebodyatheart, I didn’t mean for that to sound like I was discounting your feeling of being cramped. I’m sure it’s possible. I meant that it’s hard to believe it would seem cramped, but I haven’t been in one to actually know whether I would or not.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    We are planning to buy a 400 in the future and for me the obvious factor is because of the quality and outstanding warranty service that nuCamp brings to the table in backing up their products, evaluating/incorporating user input/ideas/suggestions into their trailer units and ensuring that customers are happy campers.  

I know both entities well from both companies, they are both friends of mine and it's certainly not my intention to badmouth Joe Kickos here (regarding the Max as I hope he does well) or anyone else over at Little Guy World Wide because Joe is a fine individual and I know that Joe cares about quality too and he cares about his customers too and have seen him do some amazing things in the past in helping people out.  

And on the flip-side the same is true for Scott Hubble, CEO of nuCamp, owner Joe Mullet and the employees at nuCamp who have been building these trailers for quite some time now.  Very stand up, committed individuals/employees who believe in their products and who live by their motto that states "I am second."  If you've ever visited the factory down in Sugarcreek you (know full well what I am talking about here) can feel it in the workforce, the energy, the intensity, the dedication, commitment, desire and friendliness.  It's a special kind of feeling (almost infectious) and rare today and something that many companies try to emulate and achieve and seldom/rarely attain this attitude/level.  These people get I think and this has been my experience and is why I buy these trailers because you get what you pay for and they are custom built units.

Some good/interesting/valid points and discussion above by members and good reason to evaluate your individual needs, wants and requirements.  You should also take some time, visit the Little Guy forum and get some input and feedback from people using and who have purchased the Max.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Totally agree with Mike.  For us, the 400 over the 320 was a great thing.  While we loved the 320 it was pre Alde.  We had a Q Maxx because we wanted the open area and the 2013 when we got ours did not have the Bath area.  The 400 has opened up additional camping areas as we are no longer tied to the clean rest rooms that are sometimes hard to find.  We passed up quite a few nice camping areas because of the rest rooms.  I no longer have to have Donna take Jaxson for a walk while I make up the Bed to sleep.  ( not a big problem, but nice to have a dedicated area to sleep.)  We do find it nice to have the option for a dining area but most of the time we use it as a seating area.  I can hear the TV in the 400 much better than in the 320, even with the speakers by my head at the back.  The 400 is larger and heavier to tow and a lot of the tow vehicles that were good with the 320 are no longer safe with the additional weight and size.  the 400 still will fit in the shop where the 320 did but I have a lot less area to get around the vehicles and the 400. 

It all comes down to what fits the way you camp or travel and what you are comfortable with that will dictate what you do. Either way, the 320 or the 400 are both outstanding choices!

2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
      You should also take some time, visit the Little Guy forum and get some input and feedback from people using and who have purchased the Max.
    Yes, and there is also a Facebook page called Little Guy Max.

Gail & John 

• Options
    OmahaOmaha Member Posts: 5
    Storage...Storage.....Storage!! Our only complaint about our T@B CS is the lack of. We are going to move up to the LGMAX. 2015 T@B for sale soon.
    402-515-5375
  • Options
    Omaha said:
    Storage...Storage.....Storage!! Our only complaint about our T@B CS is the lack of. We are going to move up to the LGMAX. 2015 T@B for sale soon.
    402-515-5375
    Have you been I side of a 400? I feel like there is much better use of storage than the Max.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    While the LG Max has more storage, I’ll agree with Jenn that the 400 makes great use of their storage. And I trust @atlasb that there is more than enough in the 400. There is a video on you tube by Travels With Delaney that shows how one family has used the storage in their 400. While it’s not a review it’s nice to see the storage with everyday stuff in it and ease your mind that a lot fits with room to spare. 
  • Options
    We haven't seen either one in real life yet, but really like the large windows in the front, door and kitchen of the LG Max, which is one of the things we love most about our T@B, that feeling of being connected to the outside even when we're inside. 

Gail & John 

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    We finally got to see them both side by side at Tom's Camperland in Mesa and there are definitely pros and cons for both.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    @dsatwork, please share if you don’t mind. The longer I research the more of a coin flip it becomes. 
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    marknjudy said:
    @dsatwork, please share if you don’t mind. The longer I research the more of a coin flip it becomes. 
    I sent you a private message with our email, so we can discuss off the forum. We love NuCamp and we love our Tab 320 S......but on this subject we are definitely in the Max camp. My biggest problem with both of them is...... they seeeeeeeeeem Huuuuuuumonguuuuuuus compared to the Tab 320. We believe both companies will stand behind their products for the period of time they are under warranty. NuCamp has a great repair and modification facility...but that only helps you if you live within striking distance of the factory. Otherwise you are at the mercy of your dealer and good ones seem to be few and far between. Tom's Camperland in Mesa, AZ seems to be one of the good ones for sure. 
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    dsatwork said:
    marknjudy said:
    I sent you a private message with our email, so we can discuss off the forum. We love NuCamp and we love our Tab 320 S......but on this subject we are definitely in the Max camp. My biggest problem with both of them is...... they seeeeeeeeeem Huuuuuuumonguuuuuuus compared to the Tab 320. We believe both companies will stand behind their products for the period of time they are under warranty. NuCamp has a great repair and modification facility...but that only helps you if you live within striking distance of the factory. Otherwise you are at the mercy of your dealer and good ones seem to be few and far between. Tom's Camperland in Mesa, AZ seems to be one of the good ones for sure. 
    @dsatwork The problem with a pm is that others don't get the benefit of your knowledge. We are leaning Max but are still in the research process and would love to know your observations. We want to go into our next purchase with eyes wide open.

Gail & John 

• Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    I have been inside of both at the dealer so these are my observations base on this quick visit. 

The Maxx is larger.  More space inside but also more to deal with when towing.  Both feel much bigger then the 320.

There is more storage in the Maxx including a double pass through doors in the rear.  As a 320 owner, the storage in the 400 felt more then adequate.

There is a microwave in the Maxx.  I have heard that this will be an option on the 400 in the near future.  We have no use for a microwave when camping so this is a non issue for us.  

Both have standing room for a 6'1" person at the galley.  This is one of the short comings with the 320 for me.  

The dinette in the Maxx makes a larger bed.  It will also seat 4 people although it will  be very cozy.  The T@B will only seat 3 and again it would be cozy.  I feel that the T@B 320 has better living space when the bed is put away and the table is removed.  We have had 4 people sitting in side comfortably.  We have even had 3 people playing music inside.  Neither the Maxx nor the 400 have this kind of lounging space.  

The bed in the Maxx is wider by 3 inches and I felt like the back went up at a steeper angle making it feel more roomy then the 400.  I have a concern with both beds because the person sleeping in the rear will need to climb over the person sleeping towards the front if nature calls during the night.  We like that the dining area and the sleeping areas are separate in the Maxx and the 400 and that the bed does not need to be put away in order to have living space. 

The T@B has larger storage tanks.

The T@B has a larger bathroom and in my opinion a much more usable design.

The T@B has the ALDE.  

The television in the T@B is DC powered (AC power on the Maxx).   No television when camping off grid in the Maxx.  We are not big television watchers but we do like to catch some news and weather and watch a movie from time to time.  The Maxx does have a built in TV antenna.  The Maxx comes with two TV's (both AC powered).  One rises up right next to the dinette and the viewing angle when sitting in the dinette is so severe I am not sure how usable this is.  Also on the Maxx you can move a TV to the outside where there are also speakers.  Unless you are having a campground party I am not sure when you could use this without bothering your neighbors.

The fridge in the Maxx is larger but the fridge in the T@B 400 is larger then the fridge in the 320.  

The Maxx seems to be more suited to camp ground living with hookups and the T@B 400 seems to be better designed for off grid camping.  

We are leaning towards the T@B 400 as we camp as a couple and we prefer to camp in unserviced campsites.  The T@B seems to be better suited to this as it comes with a larger battery, larger tanks, all the major electrical components are DC based and I think the ALDE may be more energy efficient then the heating in the Maxx.   We plan on going to have a good lie down in the T@B and determine if we can live with the bed size.  If so we may be moving up to the 400.  
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    It is good to see the comparison between the 400 and the Maxx.  A lot of valid points come to light.  While storage is important, it also is added weight that has to be taken into account.  I think both have the same capacity axle and the it doesn't need too much added weight to surpass the capacity.  We find that while there are a lot of nice to have extra items, we tend to not use what we take.  Some like to camp for longer periods on adventures and some only get a couple days out at a time.  It is a large investment so a lot of considerations have to be made.  As said before, it becomes what will work best for our style!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    I have been inside of both at the dealer so these are my observations base on this quick visit. 

We plan on going to have a good lie down in the T@B and determine if we can live with the bed size.  If so we may be moving up to the 400.  
    Thanks so much for sharing your observations. Many things to think about. I agree about storage. If we move up, we will still plan to take a lot of our supplies in the tow vehicle, but it would be nice to have our kitchen items inside and well-organized, as well as our clothing.

Gail & John 

• Options
    maddmikemaddmike Member Posts: 137
    So, the wife and baby daughter and I recently purchased a T@B CS. We wanted the out door kitchen as I am too tall to stand up in the T@B and I do most of the cooking. We keep the bed permanently setup as we eat outside and do most non-sleep activities outside. We don't watch much TV at home and don't watch it at all on the road so we our actually glad that our CS was speced without the "tech package".

However, we do have three large dogs. Two of which have been brokenhearted that we have been leaving them at home. Our camping trips are usually over a weekend as we both have day jobs. We are looking to possibly upgrade as we need a dog bed (aka front dinette) and are taking a camping trip to the beach and a dealer this weekend that carries both LG and NuCamp and will be able to compare them side by side.

I am leaning towards the 400 for all the reasons listed above. However, the LG has a larger human and dog bed and it has a built-in awning. Don't care for the TVs as they are just adding weight. I hate the AC on the roof as it looks silly and takes away from the lines. More storage space and the 400 has the microwave. I don't use a microwave at home and would prefer the storage for dry goods. I would also have to get an awning for the 400 as we need out door shade.

In the end we may just decide that our '17 CS is good enough and upgrade in a year or two when the baby is older or we get another child and just keep bringing the old dog with us. Either way, it is fun to look, shop, and compare models.