Options

Chevy Colorado Duramax

ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
I think I'm locked into this amazing mid sized truck. Looks like a perfect match with a Boondock. Any Colorado TV owners out there?
2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
Tampa, Florida

Comments

• Options
    TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    I've looked into them also the diesel doesn't get much better mpg than the gas motor with the 7000 upcharge it will take about 150,000 miles to recoup your money. The f-150 Is available with a 3.0 diesel which will give you close to  30 mpg towing these small trailers.
  • Options
    Tabfortwo said:
    I've looked into them also the diesel doesn't get much better mpg than the gas motor with the 7000 upcharge it will take about 150,000 miles to recoup your money. The f-150 Is available with a 3.0 diesel which will give you close to  30 mpg towing these small trailers.
    Yeah, the upcharge is a bit tough. I want the LT trim level anyway so its "only" a $4K bump at that point. The F-150 is too big for my blood. It'll become my daily driver and I need something more nimble and the Duramax's mpg will beat a gasser in the mountains any day. Then there's that engine braking.
    Tampa, Florida
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    A midsize truck works great for me!  I have a 2008 Canyon.  My next vehicle will likely be another Canyon or Colorado.  I'd get the V6, because I like the higher horsepower and lower price. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    sunshinesunshine Member Posts: 23
    ecyfoto, GREAT truck and an even better combo with the 320. Everyone knows diesels are more $. But IF your plan is to keep it a while it's the best decision. We did all of out homework on the Canyon/ Colorado diesel before we decided on the T@B 400 and a 2500 HD. Had we purchased the 320, we'd have a Canyon / Colorado in the driveway now. Our plan is to upgrade in the future to a 5th wheel, thus the 2500 HD. Enjoy, and whatever you decide, please post some pics!
    2018 TAB400 - M@ry-Christine, White/Black, 2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, White
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I have the 2015 GMC Canyon. It's a mechanically sound truck and is made to tow. I have a matching Leer top for it that has 3x 12V outlets in the back (plus light inside with carpeted inside top). Love the thing. It's a "long bed" at 6.2". I remember when beds were 6" standard!

I have a 2 yr old backflip tonneau cover that I'm not sure what to do with, guess stupid Cr**g List.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    Ratkity said:
    I have the 2015 GMC Canyon. It's a mechanically sound truck and is made to tow. I have a matching Leer top for it that has 3x 12V outlets in the back (plus light inside with carpeted inside top). Love the thing. It's a "long bed" at 6.2". I remember when beds were 6" standard!

I have a 2 yr old backflip tonneau cover that I'm not sure what to do with, guess stupid Cr**g List.
    Ratkity, What is the rated towing capacity of the Canyon? They are nice looking trucks.

2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    It's a 3.6L towing package (big alt, transmission cooler, wired for 4 and 7 plug with covers) and 7000# towing package. Most 25/8" balls won't tow more than 6000#, so the 7000# is a moot point.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Addendum: Check your midsize trucks. Many cannot tow a 5th wheel.

Most newer trucks have a toggle switch where the engine does not change gears too soon if going uphill or downhill. The rpms are allowed to go higher. I've found the torque on this engine fantastic, although I don't drive at warp speed. I also pull a 5400# toy hauler, not a T@B. You'll never know a T@B is back there, so don't forget and go through your favorite Drive-thru fast food joint (yes, I did that with my old V8 350 1994 Chevy and a popup - no one was looking and that was pre-cell phone days.. phew).
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I am a diesel fan. The mpg is one thing, torque is another BIG plus.  I tow a 320 with my Grand Cherokee diesel, and it pulls like it’s not even there. Compared to my 4 door Rubicon that was painfully anemic.  The big difference will be experienced on the hills/mountains.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    I also think you should getter MPG while towing in a diesel.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    phulishcatphulishcat Member Posts: 89
    I have a Chevy Colorado,  love it so much.  With the tow package and locking differential, I don't miss 4WD. In fact it keeps me out of trouble. Gas millage with the T@bin is great. Don't waste money on the satellite internet. It's very expensive and won't even work under cloud cover.  We do far better with a cell booster. 
  • Options
    I have a Chevy Colorado,  love it so much.  With the tow package and locking differential, I don't miss 4WD. In fact it keeps me out of trouble. Gas millage with the T@bin is great. Don't waste money on the satellite internet. It's very expensive and won't even work under cloud cover.  We do far better with a cell booster. 
    Do you have some towing mpg numbers you could share?
    Tampa, Florida
  • Options
    Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    We have a 2016 GMC Canyon (virtual twin of the Colorado), V6 gasoline, 4 door, short bed, 4wd, and towing package.  Typical MPG pulling the 2014 TAB S Max is 13 to 15mpg.
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • Options
    I love my 2015 GMC Canyon (except the outside color). I love the colors inside. Oh well. LOL. 
  • Options
    phulishcatphulishcat Member Posts: 89
    we get anywhere from 19 on flat or almost flat ground.  15 to 17 going up the mountains.  and if we are loaded to the max weight we can safely tow we get 14 to 15 mpg. 12 on hard climbs
  • Options
    Ditto on mileage that @phulishcat said.
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    we have the 2018 diesel z71 and love it. great job towing, getting between 21 and 22 mpg in the texas hills
  • Options
    Tabnero said:
    we have the 2018 diesel z71 and love it. great job towing, getting between 21 and 22 mpg in the texas hills
    There's no "jealous" button so I have to do it this way! *jealous!!!*
  • Options
    GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    We just purchased a 2016 Colorado (gas) and we love it! We put a camper shell on it last week and are ready to camp. We like the 7,000 lb towing capacity because we're planning to upgrade to a somewhat larger trailer in the near future. In the meantime, it pulls our Outback easily. Not sure yet about gas mileage while pulling, but we're getting over 20 mpg in town when not pulling.

Gail & John 

• Options
    Ratkity said:
    Tabnero said:
    There's no "jealous" button so I have to do it this way! *jealous!!!*
    no, no, the measure is how much you get to be out in the world and not at work. I am thinking you are who I am jealous of in that department. we will be mostly retired at the end of the year and are gearing up for some fun. The baby diesel sits in the garage for now.
  • Options
    @Tabnero, do you go into the garage and give the baby diesel a little dust wiping every now and then? I would! Dreaming about gearing up for FUN!
  • Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    @Tabnero what are you pulling with your z71?
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    @BigGrover, we have a 2016 CS-S with front outback aluminum rack. bakflip tonneau cover. 
  • Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    I am thinking about getting one to pull my T@b 400.  Will need the 6' bedfor bicycles.
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    TaBle42TaBle42 Member Posts: 37
    Actually, I have the GMC Canyon. 4x4.  4 cylinder diesel hooked up to my T@B 400
    I get 30 MPG without the T@B, and 22- 24 with it (highway) My Canyon also has exhaust engine braking for the steep downhills (no wear on the brake pads) and plenty of torque climbing. The adder for the diesel engine was about $3,000.  Great midsize truck with ample storage capacity in the bed.  Check out TFL on youtube to see how the Canyon Diesel performs.  TFL the Fast Lane Truck. 
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    TaBle42 said:
    Actually, I have the GMC Canyon. 4x4.  4 cylinder diesel hooked up to my T@B 400
    I get 30 MPG without the T@B, and 22- 24 with it (highway) My Canyon also has exhaust engine braking for the steep downhills (no wear on the brake pads) and plenty of torque climbing. The adder for the diesel engine was about $3,000.  Great midsize truck with ample storage capacity in the bed.  Check out TFL on youtube to see how the Canyon Diesel performs.  TFL the Fast Lane Truck. 
    I've seen the vid. Good info but like hearing from you guys and your real world experience. The numbers you describe are exactly what I want to hear. You have a cover on your bed? Does the Canyon hold 6th climbing a hill? 
    Tampa, Florida
  • Options
    Hey @boo! We's gots da same year Colorado V6 SLT towing thingiemajig! I hate the color outside (bronze), but love the colors inside. I had a choice of black, but the inside was black too. Alas.
  • Options
    caa677276caa677276 Member Posts: 7
    We have a 2016 Canyon Duramax.  Take TaBle42's advise and watch the TFL video.  We live in Colorado and drive I-70 (where the video was shot) all of the time.  It's probably as good a test of the truck that you will see.  Our Canyon normally gets 28mpg @ 75mph on the highway.  Our T@B 400 is on order so soon we will have something to pull with our truck.
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    caa677276 said:
    We have a 2016 Canyon Duramax.  Take TaBle42's advise and watch the TFL video.  We live in Colorado and drive I-70 (where the video was shot) all of the time.  It's probably as good a test of the truck that you will see.  Our Canyon normally gets 28mpg @ 75mph on the highway.  Our T@B 400 is on order so soon we will have something to pull with our truck.
    where in Colorado do you live?
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    Interesting Fact:
    These GM 'mid-size' Twins are as big as 1990's full-size trucks.
    1990's trucks were good tow vehicles with tow capacity range based on power train.

When shopping for my 2017 new truck I wanted something like/near a beloved 1990 F150 SWB 4x4 and found the GM Twins a nice match.

Green is GM Ext-Cab,  Red is 1990 F150 SWB

So far am very pleased with Chevy Colorado, however am still adjusting to the harsh ride of Z71 suspension and tires.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+