Visitors, Tours, and Strangers, Oh My!

2»

Comments

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Worst was a guy who was peering through my porthole one morning as I was putting myself together. I was not amused. I bought the porthole cover from NuCamp shortly thereafter. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    Oh my goodness! 
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• ClopidogrelClopidogrel Member Posts: 33
    You call it ZOMBIES! That's funny because before I buy ma T@b, i got a Nissan cube and I draw a sign on the side that say "Zombies hunter".

• Hans111Hans111 Member Posts: 47
    People are generally pleasant and complimentary--even if the T@B doesn't suit their camping style they can appreciate the quality and efficiency of the trailer. But last summer, a visitor from a neighboring campsite commented, "Well, I guess it's better than  a tent.". Not everyone gets it!
    Doug
    Des Moines Iowa
    2016 S Max Sofitel
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641

Probably my least favourite part of zombie interactions is if people ask how much the trailer costs.  I usually answer with something vague if that one comes up. 

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • linolino Member Posts: 224
    Best comment from my son was “with all these huge RV’s why does everybody want to yours “
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    We have had numerous people with large RVs that reveal they want something smaller.  After a time I guess it becomes tedious to park the big rigs and tow a car.  Simplicity is nice.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    This is for the new comers that have not seen this wonderful use of the Zombie theme!

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2129/zombie-t-b
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
    larrygon said:
    This is for the new comers that have not seen this wonderful use of the Zombie theme!

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2129/zombie-t-b
    Fantastic! I love it!!!!

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Awww..you must have been a nervous wreck...I would have been. Thank God you had a trooper smart enough to not unnecessarily break your window but willing to do so if necessary.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Tammara Thank you for the rest of the story-Kovi and Mocha must garner as many “so cute” comments as your T@B likely does. I must compliment you as being worried never lends me grace of any kind. But! Did that clueless woman wait for the locksmith or realize she’d be better off back on the road? And did that wonderful Colorado couple wait with you or have to get back on the road themselves?  Thank goodness for good samaritans. Where would we be if we didn’t help each other?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Tammara said:
    @Twojgrams. You are most welcome. It is a longer story. I bought my T@B and TV the first week in August. Able to do a quick shakedown trip and get it ready to go see the eclipse in Oregon.  I am a solo traveler with two small dogs.

This is the story I posted on FaceBook that evening.

So.....
    We, the dogs and I, are cruising up hwy 97. We had an enjoyable first night camping. There's a lot of traffic, but the flow is good. Kovi whines a bit, a few miles further and his whine is a bit more urgent. No rest areas or town's nearby, so I pull off some dirt/gravel road that had a good area to get turned around in. Mocha is fast asleep, while I am getting Kovi out. I'm thinking this is just a quick stop, Kovi will take care of business. I get three feet from the car... *click* goes the door locks....WTH?!? Turn around and Mocha is at the door window (feet on the armrest AND door lock) wondering what we are doing out there.

The car is locked. My keys are in the car. All of the windows are rolled up. My phone is in the car. My cane is in the car. Everything except for Kovi and I are in the car. The one good thing at this point is my car is parked in the shade of a medium sized tree. For now.

So what to do? I cannot pop my hood like I have engine trouble. Car and trailer are 35 feet from the road. So, with Kovi tethered to my side I start waving at the on coming traffic. The only distress signal I know...the two arms fully extended waving over my head...thinking, please let a snorkler pass by.

And people waved. Some enthusiastically. One car even rolled down their windows to wave and yell, woohoo!

Finally, a family from Colorado stopped. We go to my car to check on Mocha; she is panting, but not distressed. They call the highway patrol, offer some water for Kovi and a bottle for me.

Shortening up an already long story... [the above story of the woman wanting to use my bathroom)

The highway patrol arrives, agreed that Mocha was okay at the moment (hot, but okay), and contacts a locksmith from the closest town, 20+ miles away. Twenty minutes later, State Trooper Hansen, came by to check on us. The back windows were in the sun, mocha had moved to what was probably the coolest part of the car, perky but hot. Trooper Hansen said he would stop by when he passed again. He would make sure the locksmith would get there, and would break my window if we needed to. Ten minutes later, I checked on Mocha. She was lying on the floor. She was panting. I yelled at her. Nothing. Tapped on the window. Nothing. Banged on the door and shook the car. That woke her. (She is mostly deaf.) At this point, Eric the locksmith arrives. He had just closed up early for the day and was going to head out of town for the weekend, when he got the call from the state trooper. Eric made sure that he had the basic tools and, realized that he didn't even have enough gas in his tool truck, so he threw in his spare fuel tank for his motorcycle, in case he ran out. Fortunately, Eric was able to open the door in a couple of minutes. Mocha, sitting on the floor watching him.

It all ended well. Mocha was more interested in finding out what Kovi and I had been doing for the last hour or so, than drinking any water (and was perturbed that I dumped some on her head).

(@Twojgrams, the reason I seemed so patient with the woman, I was preoccupied with what Colorado Mom was finding out.  Also, I have a couple of decades teaching middle school. Somewhere in my head, I figured she never got beyond 7th grade.)

Kovi is in front, Mocha behind him.

What a story! I am so glad it worked out ok. Cute kids you have there!

• TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    ColleenD2 said:
    TABaker said:
    This will be my 9th season with my T@B so I have a ton of lurker stories.  When daughter would be home and go with me, anytime we would be exiting a store or rest area, etc., we'd always say, "How many people do you think are gathered around Daisy taking photos" and place a bet.  lol  Sometimes, we would be in the tow at a light or parked or just driving slowly and people would be pointing, tapping their friend on the shoulder and point, and pulling out their phones.  Daughter once said, "I couldn't figure out why everyone was staring and pointing, and then remembered "Oh, ya, Daisy is behind us."
    I don't notice it as much now that there are so many more T@Bs on the road.  Seeing one used to be pretty unusual.  
    I have never once seen a T@B on the road, isn’t that crazy? I first fell in love with them after seeing a T@G on The Price is Right years and years ago. I searched out a dealer and drove 5 hours to see one. They also had to T@B and I fell in love. Life and circumstance prevented us from buying until now but we order in the next few months, can’t wait!
    Colleen, we don't live all that far apart.  I'm a little over 100 miles straight east of STL, and our son lives in STL.  In the last 3 years or so I've probably seen 3 to 4 T@Bs per year on the road.  As a matter of fact, I saw a white with red trim a week ago traveling east on I-64 near Poseyville, IN.  I posted that in the FB group hoping it was a member who'd say "Hey, that was me!" but it didn't happen.  Funny thing is I met one near that very spot two years ago as I was heading east to the Blue Ridge Rally about this time of year.  There are several T@bbers in the STL area too.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

So strange isn’t it? And we travel 4-6 weeks of the year by car. Hopefully one day.

• TammaraTammara Member Posts: 34
    Twojgrams said:
    @Tammara Thank you for the rest of the story-Kovi and Mocha must garner as many “so cute” comments as your T@B likely does. I must compliment you as being worried never lends me grace of any kind. But! Did that clueless woman wait for the locksmith or realize she’d be better off back on the road? And did that wonderful Colorado couple wait with you or have to get back on the road themselves?  Thank goodness for good samaritans. Where would we be if we didn’t help each other?
    You are right. Between the T@B and the dogs, I do not lack for conversation.

The woman (and her husband) sat in their air conditioned car for awhile. I am not sure when they left. I know they were there when the trooper first came.

The Colorado family waited with me until the Trooper got there (maybe 10 minutes?). Once the trooper contacted the locksmith and said he was coming, they left. (And offered us more water).

The locksmith made me a gift of an 89 cent key. I won't be able to start my car, but I will be able to open the doors.

Agree. Thank heavens for kind strangers.
    2017 T@B 320 S     Jeep Cherokee 3.2L V6
    States Visited Map

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    @ColleenD2

Just completed my 3rd T@B 320S Adventure.

Both State Park Rangers commented on the T@B when checking in.  On the return trip decided to take a Washington State Ferry, first thing the Ticket Gal said was . . . How do you like that cute trailer? . . . {I love it . . . except for the $75 ferry boat fee}

And I lost count of the number of campground drive-by cars that clearly slowed at my space. :)

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+