Options

What does your frame look like before the T@B is built?

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
@atlasb asked in another discussion for a photo of the T@B 400 frame before the build, so I also took photos of the T@B 320 frame.  Please realize the frames are upside down, before the axle is attached:

T@B 400 frame with gray tank in place

T@B 400 with the gray tank and white fresh water tank (soon to be attached)

T@B 400 with gray and white fresh water tanks from another view

T@B 400 with gray water tank from another angle

T@B 320 (upside down without axle) with gray tank and white fresh water tank

Another view of the T@B 320 with gray and fresh water tanks

T@B 320 from a different angle

Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Thanks for sharing.  I find the images very interesting.  I was curious to see how the fresh water tank was positioned. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Very interesting. Thanks, Verna.
    Are there any photos showing the aluminum framing in the body walls & ceiling?

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    @BrianZ, I’ll have to look through the photos I already have.  You might want to try a search because I think a couple people have posted factory tour photos of the build process. Try searching on “tour” or on Google for “factory tour”.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Is that really all that  secures the tongue to the main frame on the 400?

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    BrianZ said:
    Very interesting. Thanks, Verna.
    Are there any photos showing the aluminum framing in the body walls & ceiling?

Here's one.  I know there's a few others kicking around but I can't put my finger on them at the moment. I might have them on my other computer.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Here is @AldebaranJill 's post about her tiltable solar panel installation with pictures/descriptions/measurements galore of the 320 framing.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    rajamarrajamar Member Posts: 112
    Is that really all that  secures the tongue to the main frame on the 400?

Look to the left side of the red and white bundle - the tongue A frame goes through the wide front member, is bent to parallel the side frame and at least 4 more bolts or rivets are holding each side.
    2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410

@rajamar
    I see. Now I feel better.

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Thanks, @ScottG, I've seen that photo, but it's not very high resolution & doesn't show framing in relation to other structures.  For example, where is the nearest aluminum crossmember located in the ceiling in relation to the rear wooden support of the passenger side shelf?
    Also, I've never seen any photos showing aluminum framing inside the side walls.
  • Options
    @BrianZ, nüCamp receives the side panels already assembled from a vendor. I’ve never seen a photo of the sides either. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Thanks Verna, for sharing these.  It always amazes me on how clean the assembly area is.  Certainly not like my summer jobs years ago when I worked at Miller Welders.
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @BrianZ the other way to find your aluminum inner beams is to close up your Tab for the night, sleep well, and wake to condensation. I did that my first night out (and know better now!) but I did find the supports in back of all the cupboards and in the ceiling!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Thanks, @Homebodyatheart.  So, would the ceiling over the aluminum be wet & dry in between, or vice versa?  Wonder if a steaming tea kettle would work?
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    BrianZ said:
      Wonder if a steaming tea kettle would work?

Seem to recall a post somewhere on this Forum that goes . . .
    Close up the T@B, run hot water in the shower, condensation pattern will show metal frame locations
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    You might find this discussion useful, Ratkity describes locating the aluminum beams for the installation of her Yakima rack. She also posts the .pdf instructions that came with the rack.

Bottom line is that the beams are evenly spaced 8" apart so if you can locate one decisively you should be able to pinpoint the others.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Thanks so Much Verna for the pictures and info.  We just got home from a short trip camping.  It is good to know how the frame for our 400 looks.  I have been following the cracked frame on the 320's and now I know what to look for on the 400.  I know that Nu Camp uses the very best and we love our's more each trip we take.  They are a great group of people and build a superior product!  Thanks again, Atlasb
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @BrianZ there really is no dead air space in most of the walls and ceiling of a Tab. Here’s a pic of Azdell, wall samples I received from NuCamp (I’m taking them to the Lincoln Rock gathering to share.) Top left is outer skin, bottom left is wall papered inside, on the right you see the depth and composition, and the pen is for size reference. 

If you do get condensation inside(planned or
    not) be sure to open all cabinets and check the outer wall. Mine were very moist inside the first time I had condensation. I took everything out, and dried
    it all out to prevent any mold growth. 

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Interesting view, @Homebodyatheart.  Now, would that be a standard 7/16" calibrated inkpen? 😉
    With all that insulation, I would expect the inside wall surface over it to be closer to inside ambient temperature & therefore not show as much condensation compared to the wall over the aluminum framing, which would be colder when outside air is cool.  
    In any case, thanks to all for the helpful replies about locating framing.  I have found the ones about 8" OC spacing between aluminum roof supports to be most helpful for getting screws properly located on the inside ceiling for support of cargo netting.
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I think that is a metric pen...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Who was it who wanted to see the frame and tank locations of the two T@B’s?  Here it is. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @Verna
    I would like to see that.  Your pics didn't attach.
  • Options
    @falcon1970, I can see the photos. Try again
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Verna,  great shots of the 400 frame.  Does any one have a close up shot of the fresh water drain on the 400 tank.  There is a thought that the 400 tank drain does not completely drain the tank and it appears that it is located on the side of the tank a couple inches up.  NU Camp seems to have changed the listed capacity of that tank from the 2018 model to the new. (30 gallons vs 22 gallons.)  wonder if it is possible to mount a secondary drain in the tank bottom to be able to fully drain the tank.  8 Gallons of stagnant water in the tank could be an issue.  Thanks, Fred.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Atlasb, that was me on the other thread.  I was thinking that the pump and drain come off the same T from the tank like on the 320s.  It sounds like the pump comes out higher up on the tank and that accounts for less usable water.  But, apparently, the tank drains just fine.  No worries.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Verna
    This is really strange.  I do not see any pictures or attachments in either of your posts.  Am I not looking in the right place?  Usually pictures are embedded in the post.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited November 2019
    @falcon1970 I think maybe @Verna is referring to the photo earlier in the thread? Scroll up for the frame photos 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    @jgram2
    Aha!  It has been cold here and I am a little slower than usual.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @falcon1970 S’ok, I think it’s clear that moisture is the enemy of all electronics and here In PDX, soggy brain should be a recognized diagnosis.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    @falcon1970, actually the Vanilla platform for the forum doesn’t allow my Apple IOS products to embed anything on either the T@B or T@G forums. It seems a bit unprofessional as those on other brand names can make a “click here” comment and I can’t. I choose my battles and this is one I can live with.

Sorry for the misunderstanding—I couldn’t understand why you couldn’t see what was obvious to me and I couldn’t see what was not apparent to you!
    Verna, Columbus, IN