SYSTEM FAILURE...T@B400

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    I think it is very smart to re-check after a short drive. You may be lucky to catch an oops before tragedy strikes or the very least, an inopportune time to change your drawers🤣  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Not only beefy chains, but grade 8 bolts holding them on! :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I hope those who do use a hammer/mallet (& I know there are a few on this forum) heed the advice, tips & or warnings as to why it is a bad idea. Learn to operate the equipment As intended...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    edited July 2018
    Would a hitch clamp have prevented the incident? 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

Do you mean a hitch tightener that quiets the rattle within the receiver?
  • NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    Yes, if nothing else than to have forced a closer view of the items to begin with. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

Our hitch tightener is placed at the beginning of the tow season and it is never noticed after that!  
  • Om3Om3 Member Posts: 72
    Regarding a check before driving...we always have a check around the camper and the truck...
    even when leaving our driveway. Although we are "novices" unlike many of you...we certainly
    would not use a hammer or mallet on the hitch! I sense some folks have jumped to some conclusions ...both of us are very vigilent about safety. In fact, it is because of that this both 
    of us and our dog remained safe. We turned to the forum to hopefully gain some feed back.
    For those that have replied without jumping to conclusions...your comments have been greatly
    appreciated. Before heading back...all we want is to be safe!
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @NorthIsUp, no, a hitch tighter would not have helped.  A hitch tighter only keeps a drawbar tight in the hitch receiver on the tow vehicle. 

Om3’s tongue came totally off the ball that is screwed to the drawbar. It had nothing to do with the hitch. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Om3 said:
    Regarding a check before driving...we always have a check around the camper and the truck...
    even when leaving our driveway. Although we are "novices" unlike many of you...we certainly
    would not use a hammer or mallet on the hitch! I sense some folks have jumped to some conclusions ...both of us are very vigilent about safety. In fact, it is because of that this both 
    of us and our dog remained safe. We turned to the forum to hopefully gain some feed back.
    For those that have replied without jumping to conclusions...your comments have been greatly
    appreciated. Before heading back...all we want is to be safe!
    Om3 I was not directing my comment towards you.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    @Om3, I have been following this discussion closely, as a fellow T@B owner, as a friend of many here, and as an Administrator. Please trust that I would intervene if someone was out of line. Everyone is fine, no one is blaming anyone.  Your situation is a learning experience for all of us. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    But, I’m going to bed soon. Everyone play nice......
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    @Verna, how did you do that screen shot with magic marker circles?
    @SAM, I just discovered it in edit on the photos on the iPhone and iPad. It’s looks better if you use a stylus. I’ll show you when we see each other, if you can’t figure it out. There are different thicknesses of pens to use, too. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    I learned something useful!  Thanks!
    Good Morning...does anyone know that maker of the coupler that is on the 2018 T@B400?
    Visited an RV dealer in Fairbanks this AM and they asked the maker in order to check if they
    have one in stock.

Check out the second video above that Marceline attached.  It is an Atwood coupler.  If it is the same as your 400, then it is an Atwood.  Can you take a picture of your coupler?
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    Om3 said:
    RV dealer in Fairbanks . . . asked the maker in order to check if they have one in stock.
    Has RV dealer identified a defect or broken component on your current coupler ?
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    SAM said:
    Check out the second video above that Marceline attached.  It is an Atwood coupler.  If it is the same as your 400, then it is an Atwood.  Can you take a picture of your coupler?
    Just to be clear - I'm not sure that the coupler in the video is the exact coupler on a T@B 400. I was just trying to find good videos of this style of coupler that show how the mechanism works (and what can go wrong).
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    Can someone with a 400 post some pictures of the coupler, please?
  • WannaBeMiniWannaBeMini Member Posts: 13
    First time posting a pic.  Hope this works.  
    Pat, Steve, Rowdy & Shadow
    2018 T@B 400 - "T@KO T@B"
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @WannaBeMini Perfect photo post and so helpful! Thank you.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Thanks @WannaBeMini.  You have a 400 correct?
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @SAM, their signature says 2018 t@b 400.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • CincyKidCincyKid Member Posts: 83
    My learning experience was the hitch popped off after moving 3 feet, still in the trailer storage yard.  I would have bet really good money the hitch was fully engage, but it was not.  So I was very, very lucky.  Like two others mentioned above, after engaging the hitch I jack the trailer up to see if the hitch pulls the tow vehicle up, if it does more than a few inches (just look at the gap between the tow vehicle rear wheel and the fender) then I KNOW the hitch is engaged.  I check it every hookup.

CincyKid
    Cincinnati, OH
    Oh.  Hey a signature!  What a novel idea!  Sorry.
    Again...thnks all for the comments and support! Unfortunately, most of Fairbanks is shut down
    due to the fourth. Hope to see someone that was recommended tomorrow AM.
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @Om3, you remind me of my old 35mm film camera which I bought in 1978 - it's an Olympus OM3.
    Wondering if you ever got any photos of the damage to your tongue, jack, or tires.  Would be interesting to see.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Just Goggled ball sizes.  They come in 1 7/8", 2" and 2 5/16".  Wondering if the ball size is 1 7/8" instead of 2".  Just a thought.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    To be clear, the hitch in the picture posted by @WannaBeMini is not latched. If you take off towing like that there is a very real chance that you'll lose the trailer...always make sure that the latch is down. There have been previous posts about how the hitch works and tricks for making sure that you hook up correctly.
    WRT the ball size...the hitch balls are always marked on the top. This hitch needs a 2 inch hitch ball... it will drop over a 1 7/8 and it will latch but it will not have correct engagement and could bounce off...