Options

SYSTEM FAILURE...T@B400

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    edited July 2018
    @tabiphile, can you place the tongue pin when in the semi-closed position?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    WannaBeMiniWannaBeMini Member Posts: 13
    Yes, we have a late 2018 Tab 400.  Dual 6 volt batteries, and Alde 3020.  Picture of coupler is not hitched to TV.  Parked in driveway with a coupler lock installed.  
    Pat, Steve, Rowdy & Shadow
    2018 T@B 400 - "T@KO T@B"
  • Options
    WannaBeMiniWannaBeMini Member Posts: 13
    Tongue pin will not install in semi closed position 
    Pat, Steve, Rowdy & Shadow
    2018 T@B 400 - "T@KO T@B"
  • Options
    Om3Om3 Member Posts: 72
    Aware that the photos are of an unlatched ball...LOL! The pin was still in place after the incident and the latch was still on! The tongue of TAB was on the pavement...We will send some pictures as soon as we figure out the system.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Did we ever confirm the ball was 2"?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Even if the ball says 2", there's a chance it's off-spec enough from the factory that it just didn't get grabbed properly by the coupler. Wouldn't hurt to get another ball installed just in case.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Thank you!!!! A good point. I will certainly implement your advice
  • Options
    Om3, just a heads up. Some balls that come with hitches have a weld spot. Impossible to get the ball off. If so, you'll need to get another hitch (big box store has them unless you have an odd drop). You'll need a very large wrench for the nut on the ball and possibly an open crescent wrench so you can get enough torque on the ball (it should come with a huge lock washer).

Forgive me if I'm pointing out obvious things! It's always good to have the wrenches around. I've never had a ball go loose. I carry a torque wrench, but many people sorta wing it when it comes to torque. I'm not strong enough to do that. My dual axle toy hauler needs the lug nuts at a certain torque, so carrying one of those large ones is a win-win.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Wishing you best of the best to you Om3!! :lucky: You've survived quite an ordeal. 
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    edited July 2018
    @SAM .....no, you cannot place the pin if the latch is up, not even if the incorrect ball is being used...keep in mind that there are a lot of folks towing that do not pin the latch.
    @Ratkity .....hitchballs are made to pretty tight tolerances..chances of a 2 inch ball being anything but are minuscule...more likely the wrong sized one is being used than that. The 1 7/8th ball will fit and latch (but not correctly) in a 2 inch hitch.
    The wrench that is required to remove the hitch ball is huge....and with the washer crushed under the nut the chances of anyone other than a shop replacing it are very low.
    If there is a concern about the ball size, measure it. A cheap set of verniers from Harbor Freight will tell you what you need know.

• Options
    @tabiphile, I carry around them huge wrenches. They also fit my weight distribution/sway bar nuts. 

I didn't know the specs/tolerances were so good on the hitch balls. I've seen some really cheap looking ones where if you read the top of the 2" ball, the max towing is 2000#. That's pretty low. I've seen them up to 6000#. That's not specs of the size though, it's the type of material it's made from.
  • Options
    Ratkity...thank you so much for all the tips and generated ideas! We are considering putting a new ball on. Monday everything reopens in Fairbanks...will keep you updated on our progress. 
    BTW...Happy 4th!
  • Options
    Again :lucky: to you Om3! Thinking about you and sending good thoughts your way!!!
  • Options
    JonWJonW Member Posts: 37
    FWIW my 2018 320U came with the same coupler pictured above, which was defective and had to be replaced by the dealer.  The problem was it would neither engage or release without pounding on it with a hammer.  It seemed that it's ability to slide forwards and backwards was somehow compromised and it was difficult to get the locking lever dogs to sit down in their slots.

When I picked it up from the dealer we thought that it might loosen up over time but it never did so the dealer submitted a warranty claim which was approved.  Unfortunately the replace coupler was incorrect so the dealer pulled a coupler from another one on the lot which iworks properly.
    JonW - 2018 T@B 320U
    Marlborough, Mass
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    edited July 2018
    Ratkity said:
    @tabiphile, I carry around them huge wrenches. They also fit my weight distribution/sway bar nuts. 

Wow...that's impressive! Mine stay at home.........
    Have you ever tried to remove the ball from the hitch? You might be really surprised at how hard it is to loosen the nut. I once had to take mine to a shop to get it done. 20 minutes later the mechanic came out with it and apologized for taking so long. He couldn't get it to loosen.

The hitch locking mechanism will take up any minor variation in ball tolerances..most are within a few thousandths of nominal dimensions though. As you note, material and plating quality affect the specs.
  • Options
    @tabiphile - yup, have had to remove one or two of em. That's how I know some are spot welded.

The secrete techneeck....One very large and long wrench with the hitch in the receiver sideways (ball and bolt horizontal to ground), one wrench on the ball side under the receiver so it don't need a second person holding it, then mah weight to break the seal and lock nut with the long wrench. I ain't petite ;) It's also the way I put one on (rem to reverse the engines!.. er, um, direction).

Since I know the same technique will adequately put 250# of torque that is recommended for the two bolts/nuts on the sway-wd bar hitch, I figger dat ball ain't going nowheres :)
  • Options
    Jon W...interesting...our coupler has always (and continues to be) difficult to slide forward/backward
    and "locking dogs" do not fit in easily. We haven't used a hammer (although tempted) we have pushed hard with our hands. This is a point we have always questioned...but, being novices we thought it was how the mechanism worked! We are leaning toward the failure of the
    "locking dogs" to go into their spaces. We have always been sure that the pin was securely in place.
    At we plan our return to MA....we have come to realize that getting a new coupler is necessary!
    Again...thank you, as well as everyone else who has shared our journey! 
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    Hmmmmm.....Interesting.   I'll keep my eye on this thread, as I'm sure Verna is.  It will be enlightening to see how it unwraps...
    WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    We just returned from Bullet Proof Trailers in Fairbanks where we have left our T@B 400 to be
    repaired. The owner, took a close look and examination of the coupler and determined that 
    the locking jaws were faulty. He did give a name for the "fault" but at this posting, I cannot
    remember for the life of me! We shared that the "teeth" had always been difficult to clap down.
    As many have mentioned here...that should not consistently be the case. We also asked if the
    accident caused the fault in the jaws (teeth...as we call them). He said  that was not the case.

With that said...we promised to share any updates. The T@B will be ready to go in a few days!
    Thank you, for all the many many responses...gave us food for thought! 
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thanks for the update, @Om3.  Are you planning to keep the faulty part ("evidence")?
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Well that's a great company name "Bullet Proof" hehe. Glad things are on the mend as well as your peace of mind. Thanks for the update!
  • Options
    Yes, we have the faulty part as well as the bill which stated what was observed through
    examination and repair. Such a relief...I did not feel comfortable about the long journey
    back to Massachusetts without having a "professional" that certainly knows more than we do!
    BTW...we are also stopping by Sugar Creek as we head home.

Again...thank you for the many responses and hope that it may help someone else along the
    way.

B&E
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Om3 said:
    . . . bill which stated what was observed through examination and repair. . . .

Does the 'bill' include any information on the failure/defect that you have not already posted?
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Bill states: "Replaced coupler on tongue of T@B travel trailer. Latching tangs on old coupler do not engage; rocks continuously and will not latch.
    Provided customer with old coupler Atwood 2" A frame coupler."
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    Om3, I remember all your posts asking about Alaska last year......I know  you have had a rough week. I hope the journey to Alaska outweighs the issues with your trailer.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Up to the incident...our trip was amazing! We found the Alaskan Highway well paved and not the least bit difficult to travel on. There were some areas of construction that were not paved; but, the workers did their best to make passing over these areas safe. The beauty is beyond anything we expected...loved traveling through Montana, too! 
    As would be expected, once the incident happened we were not able to enjoy the beauty...it was all 
    about getting to Fairbanks and finding out what actually had happened. Fortunately, we were directed to someone that deals for the most part, with trailer hitches and repair. We found them
    to be very understanding of our concerns...and the need to have the trailer fixed for a safe journey back.
    Heading back to the NorthEast tomorrow...but first stopping by Sugar Creek. Again, thank you
    one and all for the input. If ever in Fairbanks and anyone needs your trailer checked...highly 
    recommend BulletProof on 3010 Industrial Rd.

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    It's ALWAYS good to give a recommendation to folks that do good honest work! Thanks, @Om3, and glad to hear you are safely back on your journey! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Now safe and you have peace of mind. Deep breaths and enjoy the scenery home! Did you see a lot of campers on the Alaskan Hwy? How were the temps? Were the mosquitoes out yet? 
  • Options
    Thank you...we will! We are taking a wee side journey to Valdez with family...then by Thursday we
    will be on our way back East. We actually expected to see more campers ... often, we traveled on the road alone! The weekend of the Solstice many Alaskans take to camp grounds so they were more crowded than at any other time on the Alaskan Highway. We have yet to see a T@B. The temperatures were low to mid 70's...sunny most often until we hit Fairbanks! The mosquitoes are brutal...and active both day and night!
  • Options
    All likes, except the small airplanes, er mosquitoes!!!