Options

Your Tricks / Tips for Soft Parking Surfaces ?

MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,588
On two outings I've faced setting up a T@B 320 on soft surfaces.

One was deep loose gravel at a private RV park the other well watered front yard grass. For both situations side-2-side leveling with blocks was needed which then limited wheel chock placement to the 'uphill' wheel. Each time when disconnecting the T@B coupler from the TV the T@B rotated toward the downhill side rolling off the wheel block and pushing the wheel chocks deep into the soft surface. Plus the tongue jack wheel dug a trench as the T@B rotated.

My solution was try and try again. Each time moving the T@B some attempting to find firmer ground for the wheel chock side. This cycle of do-overs was exhausting and a bit embarrassing.

So how do the more expert T@Bbers out there handle Parking / Set-up on Soft Surfaces ?

Blocks are:    various thickness wood boards and the lego levers
Chocks are   one pair of yellow plastic Camco # 44412 8x5x4 inch

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    I don’t know if this will work, but we have four 1 x 2 plywood pieces to create a path to reposition on soft ground.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    If it appears the trailer is going to skitter about once it's unhooked, I would try chocking the wheels with something more robust like a large stone or a hefty piece of firewood. Chocking both sides of the wheels might also help.

In short, just improvise and do whatever you need to do to keep the wheels from moving once you have them where you want them.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    . . . try chocking the wheels with something more robust like a large stone or a hefty piece of firewood.

. . . Chocking both sides of the wheels might also help.

Agree, something more robust that won't slip in soft gravel/grass for wheel chocks could be the answer . . . but what?

As it seems there is never a good large rock around when needed & I'm not ready to start carrying any.  And with nearly all the western states having no campfire rules in effect, firewood has been staying home too.

Chocking both sides - - - so far I've been unable to solve how to chock a wheel that is already up on leveling wood/legos.

• Options
    pingncpingnc Member Posts: 25
    Someone has suggested the rubber chocks from Northern Tool which they claim are less 'slippery' than the yellow ones that I currently use.  Haven't tried them yet, but will purchase at the next Northern Tool I come to.

2018 T@B 400 (P@t's Condo), Silver and Black, TV 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 CrewCab, Phil & Pat in Waynesville, NC
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    I always use four chocks. I use two of these Solid Rubber Wheel Chocks (also used when parked in the garage), one of these Lynx Wheel Stops "lego'd" onto the pads if I have to level side to side. (I pull forward onto the pads and have this chock already in place). Lastly I use the Trimax Wheel Chock Lock. If I didn't use the Trimax, I'd use the second Lynx Wheel Stop. All are in place prior to unhitching.

I suppose if I had mushy ground, I'd use the Lynx levelers under both wheels, one being higher if necessary. Plus I have the Lynx caps for under the stabilizers. (I don't have boards). 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    dsfdogs said:

. . . two of these Solid Rubber Wheel Chocks
    . . . one of these Lynx Wheel Stops "lego'd" onto the pads
    . . . Lastly I use the Trimax Wheel Chock Lock.
    Have added Rubber Wheel Chocks to my shopping wishlist.  There extra weight could help on soft surfaces while they are known to be better than lighter weight plastic on hard smooth surfaces.

lego'd Wheel Stops, great idea.  I've not seen them before.  Can imagine how a locked in chock and the extra surface area of the levers could really help on soft surfaces.  My T@B came from NuCamp with Valterra brand levers.  A quick search found they also have the wheel stops.

I also use a Trimax Wheel Chock Lock 100% of the time however primary reason is for the Lock not the chock.  My 15-inch Boondock tires are at the limit of the smaller size Trimax and the 'chock' feature can only be positioned as a chock half of the time.

Also, I only install the Trimax after the T@B is uncoupled and stable . . . don't wish to have that metal knife edge spinning into the T@B wheel well if things go really wrong.

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Perhaps a BAL Leveler, which levels and chocks the low side, then chocks around the other wheel on both front and back.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    @MuttonChops I love those rubber wheel chocks and they seem to work well on the smooth garage floor. I've also seen them at Harbor Freight if you have a store nearby.

Glad you could find the "lego" type chock. I put it on the front like your picture, then pull forward. It gives me some comfort I don't pull too far. I put the Trimax Wheel Chock on that same wheel on the back, so I don't think it will move once on. With all these chocks, I have a variety of options and now you will too! :)

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I use the Lynx version of the lego wheel chock. If my camper is on a level site, I give each chock a good kick under rear tire on each side and then back my TV up a bit so the chocks are under the tire. I also have an Anderson leveler and that worked better when I had my T@B. It comes with its own wedge. Many ways to use it. Many people swear by the Bal-leveler.

Tip: When on level ground, kick the chocks behind the wheel on each side, then back up the TV slightly. Then there isn't a chance the coupler isn't pulling backwards on the inside jaws and won't release when you try to unhitch. Makes unhitching much easier!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    P.S. Inside the toy hauler, I use one of those solid heavy rubber chocks under the back wheel of my motorcycle. If I hit a rut, I don't want any movement front to back at all. I have one of the smallest toy haulers on the market and my 8 ft bike is 1.5" from the back when the ramp is up. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Something like this would work:

It's a prettier version of what I do with scrap wood and firewood.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    edited July 2018
    That's pretty slick. If you're inclined you could build something like just out of wood without too much trouble. If it works like I think it does, it would solve the problem of the stack squiggling around when you drive up onto it.

Wider/longer lumber could be employed to create more float if needed for soft surfaces.
    2015 T@B S