Attaching a rear-view camera

maddmikemaddmike Member Posts: 137
I don't want to drill into my brand new 400 but I do want the ability to see behind me when driving and backing up.

I ordered this wireless system on Amazon:

I want to mount it above the rear window but I don't want to drill. Anyone tried using 3M automotive tape?

Comments

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    I've been amazed at the strength of 3M duralock.  It's similar to Velcro, but both sides are identical. I've had a 2 pound item mounted to the side of my interior truck console for 5 years.  Has held through Phoenix summers when the interior of the vehicle gets very hot.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Tabaz said:
    I've been amazed at the strength of 3M duralock.  It's similar to Velcro, but both sides are identical. I've had a 2 pound item mounted to the side of my interior truck console for 5 years.  Has held through Phoenix summers when the interior of the vehicle gets very hot.
    Agreed. Impressive.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• maddmikemaddmike Member Posts: 137
    Yeah, but interior and exterior mounting are very different.

Looking at the back of my camper, there is that plastic rear bumper type piece that sits rather high and would probably work and that way I'm not drilling into the shell.

Either way, I sent an email to NuCamp to get their suggestions for mounting and wiring.
    Mounting the camera and drilling a hole for the wire are two separate issues. The Duralock tape may solve the mounting issue, but not the drilling issue. I have a rear camera mounted to the Yakima rack on my 2006 Outback with a small 12V battery secured near the camera. No drilling was needed. Perhaps you can find a location for a small battery on the 400. If not, one swallow does not make a summer. Meaning, one small hole does not destroy your 400. Good luck.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I am just going to add a caveat about wireless cameras. Many are set up to only be used at a certain distance. Adding the extra distance of the T@B may cause it to blank out. If your vehicle is primarily aluminum, that acts as a shield for the wireless signal. 

I added insult to injury and tried a great rated moveable wireless camera and put it on the back of my all aluminum toy hauler. The signal blanked out as soon as the rear turned away exactly when I needed to know where the rear-end was vs the fence pole. Ugh.

You have a shorter distance and the T@B has less aluminum, so you may be golden. eTrailer told me that I really needed a wired camera when I called tech support (I didn't buy the camera from them, but they are so helpful!).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited July 2018
    I've used 3m automotive tape for a variety of applications over the years. I can't see it coming off of a clean smooth surface without a fight. It's probably what I'd use if I were trying to mount a camera without fasteners. YMMV.

2015 T@B S
    Some good points. 

If i mount it down on the plastic trim piece then it gives me the ability to tap into the running lights and not have wiring all over the place. 

I also kind kind of like the idea of a battery and was thinking one of those solar charged power banks so you can set it and forget it. 

• rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    I mounted my wired camera to the license plate bracket and ran the video and power cables underneath along the chassis. No drilling, no wireless dropped signals. The description is in the modifications section. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

ScottG said:
    I've used 3m automotive tape for a variety of applications over the years. I can't see it coming off of a clean smooth surface without a fight. It's probably what I'd use if I were trying to mount a camera without fasteners. YMMV.

Yup, I have a large roll of this stuff. I used to work in the automotive industry and most people don’t realize that much of the body-side moldings on their vehicles are held on with this stuff. 
    If you do not drill, how are you going to run the wires for charging the camera?

Also, you could use a mount like a Gopro mount with an adapter that fits your camera. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

jkjenn said:
    If you do not drill, how are you going to run the wires for charging the camera?

Also, you could use a mount like a Gopro mount with an adapter that fits your camera. 
    Not sure yet. I was thinking of taping into the running lights. Someone also mentioned the battery option which is interesting. I wouldn’t be drilling all the way through anyway as then I would have wires on my ceiling. No thanks. 

When end I was comparing he 400 and the LG that was one of the few advantages if he LG as it was pre-wired for a camera. 

The license plate is guite high high on the 400 so I may try to mount it there or on the plastic faring.  Just need to find or run a hot wire. 

Camera arrived today. 

So, NuCamp got back to me essentially saying “talk to your dealer as they have experience in aftermarket equipment.”

They did recommend running the electric off the license plate lights. Not sure how to remove the plastic trim piece to access that whole area though. Anyone with experience doing this?
    Alright, so this is what I ended up doing:

I removed the rear plastic trim which was held on by screws underneath and body molding tape. 

I noticed a small rubber hose going through the shell. I found it came in under the skylight window. This hose was not sealed which may be where people are getting water into their campers. Also of note, the license plate light wires are just handing back there and not connected to anything.

The black wire in the second picture is the camera wire being fed through.

Ran the wire under the mattress and to the battery. 

Marked where ore I wanted to mount the camera on the plastic fairing and drilled. Note that the antenna will have to be folded down to open the window.  

Attached the monitor to the dash with Velcro so that it is easy to remove. And we have a finished product. 

• WannaBeMiniWannaBeMini Member Posts: 13
    Nice job @maddmike, I am looking to do something similar and was wondering what held the bumper piece on.  Did you have to replace the body molding tape, or could you reuse it?
    Pat, Steve, Rowdy & Shadow
    2018 T@B 400 - "T@KO T@B"
    Good job!This just reminds me of how incredibly beautiful the back end of the 400 is. They really did a great job on the design.

Nice job @maddmike, I am looking to do something similar and was wondering what held the bumper piece on.  Did you have to replace the body molding tape, or could you reuse it?
    So if you look underneath you will see there are six square headed screws that hold it on. It is also secured at the top with more tape and screws but I did not remove them as there is enough flexibility to lift the lower edge like a flap and do what you need to do. 

As far as replaceing the tape, I think it will be extremely difficult to remove all of the old stuff and install new. I simply screwed it back down. I did put a dallop of scilicone in that hose that passes through the wall as technically water can enter through there and come in below the window. 
    edited July 2018
    Now that I got to my destination, let me talk to the camera quality. The unit is fine at low speeds and backing up but for some reason at speed, it cuts in an out, refreshes slowly, and in general is a pain. It works great for backing up though. We are camping ina very rugged area and I had to thread the trailer through the trees and it worked well for that. 

In on the highway it is better than nothing as I can see if someone is riding me or if a motorcycle is swerving through traffic and he the signal and refresh is not good. I don’t know if my unit has an issue or if that is just what happens when you buy a cheap camera. I’ll contact the seller and see if they can help. 
    I can't use mine on the road either - the refresh rate is way too slow. Just a series of choppy still photos.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Those cameras are notorious for not being able to refresh fast enough. My baby sis now has the tricked out F150 with the 360 cameras for parking. SO JEALOUS. I wish I had that around the camper for backing up.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 451
    I had the same elec interference issue while driving with my wireless rear view camera - and decided to use coax cable instead. Now picture is perfect and steady for $10 of coax wire. Since trailer is connected to car, one more wire to connect before towing was no big deal. Used pre existing interior coax cable .
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    I have been leery of the low end wireless and too cheap to consider the high end. As such, settled on a decent hd wired version using aircraft (4 pin not rca) cable. Complete with 7" monitor it was <$150 cdn.

I attached the camera using gear clamps and ran the cable along the Yakima rack, tucked it under the rubber trip molding and down to the handle. In order to get around the handle I removed the trim and tucked the cable through the bottom trim to the underside of the trailer.

From there it was a matter of routing the cable alongside existing wire to the tongue. Like @a@AldebaranJill, I find that one more wire doesn't bother me.

System works great in the driveway! Unfortunately we have been unable to get out this year (family reasons) and will finally road test it Aug 10 at Canadian tab rally in Ontario. Results to follow but I do have high confidence (famous last words).

I do have one refinement in mind- that is to loop the cable back to the tab coax port (using adapter and picking up power from the battery, possibly even via the zamp port). This would give us a hd, night vision view from the tab television. Could be useful!

James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • dvgibsondvgibson Member Posts: 33
    Good job, @maddmike. I am working on installing a camera on my 400 right now. So you found when you lifted that diaper/bumper that the licenses plate lights were not even connected? Might that be a violation? Someone else here was able to get the cloth head liner off and and found the wiring from the TV cable there. But I'm still wondering how to get the headliner off.  
    T@B 400 2018 Tacoma TRD SR5
  • dvgibsondvgibson Member Posts: 33
    Just checked, my license plate lights are connected and come on with the running lights, so I think I will be following another member's foot steeps attaching the camera to the skirt and then to the license plate lights.  Now that I know how to get both the diaper and the head liner off. 
    T@B 400 2018 Tacoma TRD SR5
  • JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    I purchased the 4Ucam system from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B25HKU4/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

It's not great, but I needed it before I left on my first trip and that was the only one that would arrive in time.  This system does work at highway speeds at both day and night, but it's a bit hard to see the image on the monitor during the day.  I ended up making a black hood for the monitor that helped a bit with that.

Wireless reception with this camera and monitor wasn't a problem for me, but the highways that I took weren't that congested.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • bellimagesbellimages Member Posts: 28
    maddmike said:
    jkjenn said:

Not sure yet. I was thinking of taping into the running lights. Someone also mentioned the battery option which is interesting. I wouldn’t be drilling all the way through anyway as then I would have wires on my ceiling. No thanks. 

When end I was comparing he 400 and the LG that was one of the few advantages if he LG as it was pre-wired for a camera. 

The license plate is guite high high on the 400 so I may try to mount it there or on the plastic faring.  Just need to find or run a hot wire. 

Camera arrived today. 

that's HUGE. I would want something a quarter that size. Does anyone know of such a unit?
    2018 Tab 400
    Nissan Frontier PRO-4X (4.6 liter automatic)
    Roof mounted solar panels
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    I may try this camera.  Wireless and battery operated so no electrical connection needed.  Not sure if anyone has used one and can comment on it.  

https://quickvucams.com/shop/quickvu-digital-product/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwx7zzBRCcARIsABPRscPdIkftuEeHnubRGjTUBN7xfRZGuxR1Q3vjisrUzyDH2OzCzbrKgs8aAojlEALw_wcB
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado