Options

Would you rent out your T@B??

Not sure which category I should post this in, so hopefully the moderator will place it in the best spot...................
As the title says 'Would you rent your T@B??'. I ask this because one of my justifications for purchasing my 2016 T@B Outback was to offset the time when it just sits unused in my yard, I could make a few $$ to get some return on my investment, but as I am getting to know this little 'computer on wheels' I'm seeing how complicated and fragile it could be especially to rent to a newbie [like me] and explain all the details and workings of this rig. Also realizing that being the outback edition, it would compound the risk even more being taken off road. 
There are some agencies out there that offer to book your RV and fully insure up to $1mil, but is it worth the risk?
Would appreciate opinions and tips from other TAB owners who have toyed with this idea...............
Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    For me, no. Never. Nope. Ladybug is my getaway, my hideaway, my sanity link some days. I’ve personalized her with items that make me happy. If I had bought her to rent I wouldn’t have done all I have to her, decor and equipment wise. I think you’re comment about renting out a set of complicated systems to a novice are spot on though. Even with insurance you get to clean and fix up after others who use or abuse your investment. Good luck with your decision. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    NEVER! Loaned my TAB to some friends and provided them a four page Operating summary. Needless to say, I was disappointed with the condition of the TAB upon its return. Would never, ever loan it out again. The TAB is a complex unit that takes some familiarity to operate properly.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    cricketbirdcricketbird Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2019
    I enjoyed renting a T@B (and a few other similar teardrops) before I bought mine.  I took good care of it, and it looked like the other renters/owners took excellent care of them too.  One owner made a you-tube video doing a detailed walkthrough to watch beforehand.  I thought the video was a much better tool than a written document - very clear and easy to follow, plus nobody reads anymore, sad to say.  I'd highly recommend doing that if you can.

I liked that both the owner and renter both had lots of protections in case of emergency, including roadside assistance and insurance.  Actually one of the selling points for me for the T@B was that I rented a 10+ year-old one that had been in near constant "rental mode" its entire life.  It was actually in really good shape.  The blinds were broken (but they're flimsy, esp on older models), and bizarrely the owner had removed the trailer brakes(!), but all the kitchen equipment, doors, axle, and cabinets were still in great shape, everything still seemed "square" and clean.  I figured if 10+ years of rental life hadn't destroyed it, a T@B was probably pretty good quality.  That said, the renter just before me broke off the jack, which did make my camping trip a bit more of an adventure than I had planned.  Still, the owner said the insurance would pay for it, so at least it wasn't financially damaging.

Through the site, the owners were able to ask a lot of questions about me, my experience towing, where I was going, etc. and the site itself checked my driver's license/driving history.  Several owners offered (for a fee) to do the towing and site setup for me at a campground, which seems to eliminate the most likely opportunities for a newbie to get into trouble.  If you are nervous about it, maybe start by only offering on-site setups (provided you are close to some popular sites) so you don't have to worry about people towing poorly.
    2015 T@B U - A Sn@il's P@ce
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Never!  It has been my home for 18 months and I would not rent out my home either. Maybe I’m OCD, (probably am!) but I just too picky about my T@B. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Cricketbird - excellent post.  I failed to mention that I did a VERY detailed walk-through in addition to the four page summary for them to use while camping in case something came up.  They also had extensive tent camping and boat-towing experience.  I too rented several mainstream trailers before deciding to purchase my own.  Without knowing about the TAB, I found the rental units very basic and cheaply made, but decided a small trailer would meet my needs.  I actually found the TAB by accident while looking at other units on the dealer's lot.  I applaud TAB owners who rent out their trailers for others to share the experience.  
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @verna nothing ocd about it.   I would never rent or loan my trailer out.     We all have loaned cars or tools only to be mad about how they were treated and the condition they were returned in.    even normal wear and tear seems personal.    
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Personally I wouldn’t do it.  Our 400 was purchased knowing it was the Cadillac of the T@B units, it was built to our specifications and we have put a lot of TLC into the trailer as well.  These are handcrafted, precision built trailers and it goes without saying that those unfamiliar with these trailers are not going to treat them and care for them as the owner.  We have a routine in both use, care and storage and all it would take is a small miscue or accident to mar the trailer and create an issue that would haunt you for a long time.  If the trailer was a beater, maybe?  But would never consider lending it out as we go to great lengths to care for the trailer and know full well they hold their value, they are eye candy to others and they are an investment worth protecting.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Sometime around 1599 Shakespeare wrote Macbeth and gave Polonius this line: Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry

Still true today. Especially about our T@Bitat. 🙂
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    It's a depreciating commodity. If I had bought it with the intention of using it to make money, accepted that accelerated wear and tear from uninvested users was part of that business model, and was not emotionally attached to it, sure I'd rent it out.
    In my case, I bought the T@B for my pleasure. My wear and tear. My cooties. My financial loss. I wouldn't rent it out and I probably wouldn't loan it, either!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Cbusguy I am really OCD about my tools. While I am the one others come to for use of my tools, there are few people who get to use the tools unsupervised by me...I can count those on less than one hand!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    HAWAIIANTABHAWAIIANTAB Member Posts: 18
    OK, you guys are overwhelmingly convincing me and I'm getting more attached to our "Minni" [wife's name] as I am still learning about her operation and quirks. 
    My only other experience owning a RV was a Tioga, which was a simple little beast that anyone could drive and camp easily in............almost dummy proof and these TABS are like Lamborghini in that they need some intense training to fully operate.
    Cricketbird, would you have a link or title to the youtube video??
    Thanks all for your input so far.............
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    I wouldn’t rent out my personal rig. I’ve considered buying another one or two specifically to rent out. But as with AirBnb,or things like Uber, there’s a lot of behind the scenes work that goes along with turning your personal property into a rental, and meh, not worth it to me after paying for the right insurance, the deep cleaning that will be needed after each use, and worrying about what will come back broken this time....
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Wow. I don't feel quite so alone in my 'possessiveness'...
    I think if it was my DW's alone, she wouldn't have a problem loaning it out, although she's not the one who's put all the effort into any of various repairs and "mods" it's had, so she has less invested it seems.
    Even early-on, when my son and daughter-in-law (and my two year old grandson!) took it out for a weekend, of course it required that they first come over for a good solid lesson in all the Tab's functions and foibles.
    That was shortly after we ourselves had purchased and learned the Tab, so we knew just what a learning curve there was.
    And now, after various mods have been added, there would be way more info to try to impart before letting it go out.
    I doubt I could say yes...
    (I won't loan tools either @Verna, except to 1 good friend. I'd rather do the job for them - or buy them the tool - than loan out my tools)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I tried to find the video, but can't find it - in fact, it isn't even available as a rental anymore.  Here's a link to a similar video I found - not as good, but gets the general idea.  It's for a T@G.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_4m8P7xCVM
  • Options
    Update!  I found the rental!  https://rvshare.com/rvs/details/1173762
    Power and towing power video https://youtu.be/Ik0-MbC7QXQ
    Full tour video https://youtu.be/rp7eLvDeC3k

• Options
    As I stated earlier, I'm convinced by you guys of the pitfalls of renting to total stranger/dummies and the potential damage they could cause but I may consider renting to a fellow T@B owner that knows the machine and workings of her.
    That said, ...........if anyone of you guys on the forum wanna escape the cold this winter and come to Hawaii for a vacation on wheels in paradise, then get in touch [by PM] and maybe we could work something out.  There is a price war going on now for airfares and flying is cheaper than it's been for years.
    Aloha, 
    Jack
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    @HAWAIIANTAB Does it mean you will also rent your tow vehicle?
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    I could loan you my tools but first I'll have to figure out who borrowed them the last time. B)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Our only experience was on Kauai where every other rental was a Jeep and we never made it to 50 mph between the curvy roads and us gawking mainlanders. So, one could rent a Jeep with a hitch IF there was a place to camp.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Yeah, Kauai is probably the most RV unfriendly island here, I'm not surprised. 
    Re: a tow vehicle, most vehicle agencies don't allow towing, but they and other rental companies do have trucks with legal and complete towing set ups.  Of course the truck rental will be up 2 you.
    Big Island does have a few campgrounds and I'm in the process of setting up a network of possible hosts around the island.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Just returned from our first trip to the Big Island today. One thing I noticed was the lack of RV's.  I have had friends rent vans Hawaii and remove the rear seat to sleep in.

I'm on the Winnebago Revel Facebook page, and someone there rented out their 4wd $120k plus rig. Needless to say, they were not happy with the scratches and wear and tear, since the renters wanted to drive it off-road.  They wished they'd put a huge damage deposit on it.  

So I guess I'd rent our T@b out, with a $25k deposit that is. 😁
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Have you considered this, renting the trailer already parked at a site of their choice? No towing, or setting up on their part. I know many companies that do that. The renter books the location where they want the trailer. The trailer company brings the fully furnished trailer to the site, sets it up, hooks it up to utilities, etc. Then comes and retrieves the trailer when the rental time is over.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    N.E.V.E.R.    I would be too much of a pain in anyone's behind.  I would have too many rules.  I have seen how some "friends & family" take care of their own stuff and I work too hard & long hours to save for what I want.  I would be very angry if some friend or family didn't take care of one of my prized possessions.  That's just me.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    Not for all the tea in China. 

Jeannie
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    No!!! Mine!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    Nope. Not just because of possessivness but mainly because I keep it packed and ready to go. Here in California there's always the risk of earthquakes and now fires. I can bug out at a moment's notice
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california