Options

Color Matching Trim

The stock white plastic and metal trim on the gray walls always bothered me.  TonyD inspired me to paint all trim to match the factory gray accents.  I think its one of the better mods I've done.  All the trim was easily removed except for the water inlet to the fresh tank.  Had to very carefully mask around it.  The square port to the left of the shore power inlet is for an additional coax cable.

Note the missing grab bar:

The factory white grab bar did not want to accept the gray paint, so I searched for the stock bar in gray.  After several hours on the Internet and phone calls to the manufacturer, I took a chance on the Camco 42173 from Camping World. Photo of the holes for the factory handle:

The Camco unit fit almost perfectly (use the old screws from the factory grab bar as they are slightly smaller).  BTW, it also comes in black for those of you who might be interested.

I also painted the two Norcold vents in the front of the trailer so they too match.
2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    Looks very nice @Tabaz !
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    TaterTater Member Posts: 134
    what paint did you use ?  prep ?

Thanks
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,354
    Search “Fresh water fill cover” for a picture of the can. Krylon. You must SHAKE the can for at least four minutes before spaying.  Practice on some random plastic parts before your trim pieces. Prep was taking an alcohol swab over the part prior to painting. No sanding needed.  However, try to use a gray colored sealant for the screw holes. I used white, and it oozed out when I tightened the screws. Ugh. Had to remove the piece, clean off the white excess, and start again.  That being said, the end result is worth the effort.
  • Options
    Tater - please note the two Norcold plastic vents on the front of the trailer “accept” the Krylon paint in a slightly darker hue.  But it still looks awesome.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Nice, clean look @Tabaz.  Thanks for sharing.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 181
    edited December 2019
    Looks GREAT Tabaz ! 

I have done a similar "white delete" on our grey sided with black trim 2019 T@B 320 . I grew tired of the clashing bright white bits and pieces all over our grey/black T@B (matching silver/black dedicated tow vehicle) . Instead of grey replacement parts and pieces, we went with black . Some things were painted , some were replaced with black parts . 

Painted black items were - 
    A/C grate ,  water fill port (impossible to get off, so painted it in place ), outside shower (available in black but $$$) , Alde furnace vent cover (available in black but only overseas and $$$) , and refrigerator vents . Also painted new  "T@B" and "320" appliqués by entry way door in black . 

Replacements in black were - 
    Outside light , entryway handle , cable tv port, black tank vent cover, city water port , 30 amp hook-up . 

Upgrades in black were - 
    Magnetic baggage door catch , Rv Lock electronic door lock assy . 

Thats about all the white bits and pieces now gone ..........
    For the paint , I used Krylon fusion all in one . Worked great , and you really have to work hard to get this stuff to run !

I think we are happy with it ........lol .

Pics .....

2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    Wow - that looks great.  We are now part of the Cool Kids!  B)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have co sidered doing this...even ordered paint, but I am not sure it would look as good with turquoise. 

Also thought about matching the grey sidewall.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I disagree Jenn - it would look awesome in turquoise.  Try a small piece first like the sewer vent cap or the Alde intake cover.  The grab handle won't take the paint, so maybe go with a gray handle?
  • Options
    TaterTater Member Posts: 134
    Wow!!!  Thanks for the details on the specific pieces. 
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    The problem I would be worried about is what happens long term? I have never seen any rattle can paint job last long term. Otherwise I might be tempted to paint the white bits to match the factory gray sides.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @B0atguy I have the same color scheme--I really like that look of the black rather than the white.  I was glad to actually see this done by someone.  Was also mulling over whether to paint them grey or black.
    @Tabaz   looks great!
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    I think former member Nomad (and maybe a few others) did this mod a few years back as well. The discussions are probably still here somewhere and may offer additional tips for those interested in upping their T@B's curb appeal.
    I have little patience for painting so it's probably more trouble than I would go through, but definitely a sharp looking improvement. Nice work!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Here is an article about painted plastic after one year:
    https://www.heytherehome.com/spray-painted-plastic-outdoor-chairs-update/#comments