Battery disconnect while traveling.

boonieboonie Member Posts: 83
we own a 2020 320s boondock edge. so my plan before we head out is to cool down the fridge on shore power the day before, put some ice in to keep it cool. my question is simply, since my truck does not charge my tab battery while we drive, do i leave my battery disconnect off while driving? since my solar is charging the battery with the disconnect off:)
2018- 400- Colorado V6-Marin MT bikes :) 

Comments

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    With the battery disconnect switch OFF there will be no power to the electric brakes.  I don't think a solar system will power the brakes.
  • boonieboonie Member Posts: 83
    how do i know if i have electric brakes?
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    If you bought your trailer new I would suggest you stop by your dealer with your list of questions.  Have them demonstrate the answers for you.  I’ve noticed you’ve asked many very basic questions which any dealer should have shown you.
    On your questions: 
       Your truck should be charging the trailer battery.  The charge line should be pin 4(?) on you trucks 7way plug.  Have dealer check it.
       Your trailer has electric brakes.  The power comes through the 7way plug from the controller under the dash.  If you have none of this your dealer would have never let you leave the lot.  Or should not have.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    I'm pretty sure the 2020's all have electric brakes.  However, look for a braided wire attached under the passenger side frame leg under the tub.  It will have a carabiner on one end and the other end will have a plastic "pin" plugged into a small box.  The carabiner should be connected to your tow vehicle in the same place that your safety chains connect.  DO NOT just loop it around the ball as I have seen many people do.  If you have a breakaway event the braided cable will then stay connected to the tow vehicle and the other end will pull the pin from the box under the frame.  When the pin is pulled you will have FULL braking--assuming the battery disconnect switch is ON.  The safety chains should cradle the hitch and keep the trailer moving along behind you.  If you are gentle in slowing down, the FULLY applied trailer brakes will keep the trailer from slamming into the rear of the tow vehicle.
    Of course a breakaway is a rare event--even though it is a full-on emergency-- and you can avoid the problem by always making sure you have the hitch securely locked to the ball and the ball securely affixed to the tow vehicle.
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    boonie said:
    . . . do i leave my battery disconnect off while driving?
    No.  As others have noted the trailer Battery Must Be On so the trailer emergency brakes will function.
    boonie said:
    . . . my truck does not charge my tab battery while we drive
    Are you 100% about the above statement?
    All Chevy Colorado 2015 and newer versions are factory wired for a 7-Pin trailer connector.

If you have a factory installed 7-pin or correctly installed aftermarket 7-pin the Colorado will provide voltage to the trailer batter (assuming the truck fuse is not blown)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Following is a quote from a thread on September 11th on Breakaway Brakes with discussion between ScottG and MiquelCamo... 

Here's the last response from NuCamp:

"Yes the emergency brakes are electric and they are powered by your battery. However, the emergency brakes are hardwired directly to the battery so the battery disconnect switch does not affect the function of the emergency brakes."
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    DougH said:
    Following is a quote from a thread on September 11th on Breakaway Brakes with discussion between ScottG and MiquelCamo... 

"Yes the emergency brakes are electric and they are powered by your battery. However, the emergency brakes are hardwired directly to the battery so the battery disconnect switch does not affect the function of the emergency brakes."

Several Owners have traced the T@B 320 12VDC wiring and all results show the Battery Disconnect Switch is part of the emergency brakes circuit.  It would be interesting to know which Year & Model the above quoted NuCamp statement references.
    Yellow Highlight is Emergency Brake Circuit

On my 2018 320S, there is One Wire on the battery 12VDC terminal and it is connected the Disconnect Switch.  Just like the reference drawing above.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited December 2019
    And it would be interesting to know why the units are not consistent, if there's model(s) that direct wire the ebrake.

But as GatorEgg mentioned, leave the camper in battery disconnect mode, hitch it up, don't connect the 7way plug to your vehicle, pull the emergency pin, the put it in drive and see if the camper brakes are on.  Repeat with battery disconnect off.  Then you'll know for sure for your year and model, and start driving with the battery on.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited December 2019
    DougH said:

Anyone who is still asking this question is strongly advised to read the entire discussion referenced above.
    To the best of my knowledge, this statement from nuCamp has yet to be physically confirmed by any owner. If they have changed something from past models, the change has been very recent. Those who have traced the actual circuits have reported the same thing: the breakaway brakes are connected via the junction box under the front of the camper. The battery is also connected to the junction box, but that connection passes through the battery disconnect switch. 
    2015 T@B S
    for something so basic there sure is quite a bit of uncertainty, even with you longer tab owners. over information at times is confusing and unclear, while yes after a while you do, and can figure things out. i am sure i am not the only new tab owner that has looked at the 100 page manual, read the blog and still read different opinions of what to do, even the dealers say conflicting opinions.
    pardon my ignorance as i try to make the correct decisions and learn to protect my investment. thankyou.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    @boonie, I agree with you that this should not be so complicated, but there is no uncertainty on my part. I understand electrical wiring and and have physically inspected every inch of it on my T@B. Several others have done the same and thus far come to the same conclusion regarding the power supply to the breakaway brakes.
    2015 T@B S
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited December 2019
    @GatorEgg  Maybe the dealer he purchased it from wasn't very good.    In all of my various trailer purchases the walk throughs have varied from multiple hour ordeals to simply hooking it up to my tow vehicle and a hand shake.     

I think we can agree that even with a two hour walk through you simply can't cover it all.   On top of that we all use our trailers in a different manner,  my example being I can't imagine not having a propane powered fridge and others who never use it on propane.   Others who boondock nearly exclusively to those who never boondock.   Huge differences in how the trailer gets used which may lead to very different answers to the same question. 

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    edited December 2019
    @ boonie, whether you understand the dynamics or not, please for your safety you must ALWAYS TOW WITH THE BATTERY DISCONNECT TURNED ON.  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited December 2019
    @boonie, below is a photo of the breakaway switch.  Just look under the front frame area, most likely on the passenger side.  I am confident that you have electric brakes, but once you see this on your frame, you will know for sure.  I agree 110% with @Sharon_is_SAM.  Always have the battery disconnect switch set "ON" while towing.

You can turn the refrigerator off while towing if you want to (assuming the refrigerator has been pre-cooled, as you have described.)  Avoid opening the refrigerator door to maintain the cold temperature as much as possible.  Just remember to turn the refrigerator back on when you reach your destination, or when you stop for an extended period (e.g., if you stop to eat, or to rest for an extended period.)  HOWEVER, during those stop/rest periods, you should use the propane setting to cool the refrigerator.  If you use your battery only, the refrigerator will discharge it quickly.

Some feel it is OK to drive with the propane on (to maintain the refrigerator temperature), but I do not.  It is an ongoing debate.  If you search for it on this forum (or Google it), you will find discussions about the pros and cons of using propane to keep your refrigerator cold while towing.  It is pretty much a personal preference.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    LOL. One of the many reasons I love this forum-so many members are willing to get on their backs in the dirt, on concrete or gravel to snap a shot for educational purposes. Lord love you all!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

thanks all, yes there is a brake switch under the frame, and now, i think i got it :)

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @boonie, I see you have a GM tow vehicle. If your tv is not charging the battery while you drive, here's the info: even if you have a factory installed standard 7 pin hook-up on your tv, including a  charging (power) line, GM rarely connects the charging line. I have had to take 2 of my vehicles to a hitch shop, where they locate the charging line in the engine (it is installed) and connect it to the battery. They then locate where the fuse is supposed to be installed (GM leaves that slot empty) and install whatever fuse that vehicles specs require. Then the charging line is connected and some power will flow to the trailer. In most cases, the charging line only carries a minimal amount of power to the trailer. It will not keep up with the fridge draw. Here's what we do: cool down the fridge on shore power. Just before departure, load the fridge with frozen or prepareed food you have frozen (such as hamburger patties). Fill any available space with plastic jugs filled with water and frozen. Use various sizes. As you leave, turn off the fridge. Drive for 4/6 hrs. If your travel time will be longer, turn the fridge on 12v. If driving daylight hours your solar and charging line in combination will deliver almost all or all of the power your fridge will need. If your vehicle has tow/haul mode, use it. In the newer GM vehicles, this will engage your alternator out of economy mode and keep it producing higher amperage as you drive, and your vehicle channels the extra output of electrical power to your trailer via your now active charging line. Have that charging line checked. Both of my vehicles had it installed, but not connected or fused.  While we were buying used, that condition told us neither vehicle had been used heavily or for towing. Our newest GM acquisition already had the charging line functional as it came with a 30,000 lb rated gooseneck hitch installed in the bed. The previous owner had used this one hard, for towing! Good luck in all of your endeavors. 

As an aside, you might check out the search feature in the upper right hand of your screen. Type in a key word or 2/3. The search will usually brong up several to many threads on your desired topics, where you can read at your leisure and until you are up to your eyeballs in that specific topic.

Tow with the battery switch on ALWAYS! Enjoy the journey. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.