Options

Circulation Pump Speed

This discussion was created from comments split from: Alde menu.

Comments

• Options
    SweetHavenSweetHaven Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone gone into the “service menu” and monitored the glycol circulation pump RPM?  My new Boondock shows the RPM only when I heat with propane. That seems unusual. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @SweetHaven, that would be a great question to send to tech@nucamprv.com. Creed was the first who introduced me to the service menu. I did not write down what each reading meant to the problem I was having, but Creed will be able to explain them to you. 

The factory is still mostly on vacation this week, so you may not get an answer until next week when they come back to work. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    There is a fan rotation speed shown in the service menu, that is the combustion fan speed and would only be rotating on propane. There is a symbol that indicates if the circulation pump is running, but AFAIK there is no RPM of that pump shown on any display.

What you are seeing sounds like perfectly normal operation.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    That makes sense. The combustion fan changes speed at different points in the propane ignition/burn cycle, so monitoring its rotation would be an important diagnostic tool.
    The circulator pump, on the other hand, just switches on and off at a single set speed. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    SweetHavenSweetHaven Member Posts: 4
    Wow!  Happy New Year everyone. I’ve used the NuCamp team a couple times and always found them very responsive. Upon reading the additional responses this morning, I was anxious to check things out. Indeed, the fan seems to apply to the combustion fan, and not the glycol pump. I did feel the glycol pump was working because I could hear it, and see the reservoir glycol moving but was still puzzled. All is well. We live near New Glarus, WI and may venture out for some dry camping. I didn’t want to attempt it till I knew the heating system was functioning. Thank you for the detailed responses. 
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 186
    edited January 2020
    The Alde circulator pump IS actually adjustable , and can be the source of some problems if not set correctly . Loud noises while the fluid circulates, or no heat can be 2 of the problems with a Circ pump that is not adjusted properly. 
    It is rare in a T@B (mostly found on Roadtreks and Airstreams) , but on some Alde displays, the circulator pump is adjustable in the "service menu" . 
    On T@B's the adjustment for the circulator pump is a manual dial right on the pump . 1-5 is the setting with 1 being the slowest and 5 being the fastest flow . Somewhere around 2 - 2.5 seems to be the "sweet spot" . 
    Check your circulator pump and see what its set at . 
    Here is a picture of the setting knob on the circulation pump . The pump is located right on the side of the furnace, towards the bottom at the floor  . Its not in the easiest spot to see or access . 
    Ours was set on 1 at the factory (as seen in the picture) , and made some noise and heat output was not great . 

2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    I don't see a picture above, but here's ours, showing the adjustment knob..

And here's where it is located..

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    B0atguy said:
    It is rare in a T@B (mostly found on Roadtreks and Airstreams) , but on some Alde displays, the circulator pump is adjustable in the "service menu" . 
    Looks like this is the remotely adjustable circulator pump. Who will be the first to make this mod on their T@B?  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Looks like a pretty easy mod as long as the panel in the NuCamp products will recognize the pump. I believe it plugs to the Alde circuit board so not even any real wiring needed.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 186
    edited January 2020
    I am not 100% sure but will probably also need this "options Dongle" for the 3020 , besides the remote adjustable pump to get it all to work .

https://www.alde.us/our-products/options-dongle/

I don't thing its really an option I would even consider . Once the pump is set, I cant see any reason to be able to adjust it from the panel . Its easy enough to access on the pump if it has to be adjusted (which it probably rarely need to be) . The only benefit I can see from this option , is if the control panel also has the ability to display the actual circulation speed , like the combustion fan circulation . Would help with troubleshooting if so . 
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    My hot water circ pump was set to 4 so Everytime it was called for it howled like a banshee. A tech from Alde diagnosed the problem so note both pumps should be set between 2 and 2.5
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    @Tundra57, do you mean the TaB fresh water pump?  As far as I know, the only pump in the Alde circulates the glycol for cabin heat.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    The Alde heat in my 2019 Tab 400 has two pumps. One for circulating the fluid for heating and one for pumping fluid around the auxiliary water tank. They both look the same. I can find a picture of them if it helps.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yes, the aux hot water tank is the Alde Flow setup on the 3020 system, and has an additional circulation pump a part of the kit.  I am looking at adding this to my 1030 setup on the TaB 400 to get more hot water for showers.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.