Options

2020 Subaru Outback turbo for towing

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yes, I use the Curt Echo Bluetooth brake controller, works quite well.  Only downside, the phone app needs rebooting after stopping, like for gas.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BywaysNWBywaysNW Member Posts: 71
    Here's our 2020 Outback XT (3500 lbs) and our 2021 Tab 320 Boondock. Just finished a round-trip over two mountain passes from Bend to Dayville, Oregon. No problems!  Mileage about 22 mpg.
  • Options
    SubieDooSubieDoo Member Posts: 18
    Hello all. Just thought I'd report in about my cross-country trip in the new 2021 Tab 320 Boondock and my 2020 Outback XT--11 states, 2800 miles (give or take), 5 days from Atlanta, GA to Bainbridge Island WA. I had no issues at all! Except in mountain passes in Montana and Idaho, I was able to keep speed to between 67 and 71 MPH, with 69/70 being the sweet spot. I used cruise control in non-traffic areas, but did not use on big mountain passes. In the mountains, I was able to maintain 60 mph uphill with no strain to transmission. I did learn to use the paddle shifter on big downhills to shift to a lower gear. No issues with sway even in the few areas of significant cross winds. Gas mileage was awful, getting 17 mph across 2800 miles. Eyesight cruise control took a while to get used to, but eventually found helpful in wide open spaces.  It can be a real nuisance in areas with lots of semi trucks. I finally figured out how to switch from the eyesight CC to regular CC despite the lack of helpfulness from my Subaru dealership. Thankfully, my next few trips will be fun overnighters to the Olympic Peninsula.  I get to make the same trek back to Atlanta in September. I think I'll meander a bit then.
    2021 320S BD
    TV: 2021 BMW X5 Drive 40i
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    The old "void my warranty" dodge. 
    "According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and the Federal Trade Commission, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to installation of an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the malfunction of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C)). This means that a vehicle's warranty cannot be "voided;" the dealer can only deny a claim if the stock part failed due to damage or unreasonable use. That being said, if it turns out that an aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or was installed incorrectly, and said part causes damage to another part that is covered under the vehicle's warranty, the manufacturer or dealer does have the right to refuse coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says that the manufacturer or dealer must PROVE that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying any warranty coverage."

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    SubieDoo said:
    Gas mileage was awful, getting 17 mph across 2800 miles.
    You should look at what bigger vehicles get before declaring it awful.  17 MPG is actually pretty decent, many more traditional tow vehicles come in a lot lower than that. If you want better mileage, you can drop your speed to 55-60, and should gain back a noticeable number over what you get at 70 MPH. (It’s worth noting too that in many states, the speed limit for trailers is lower than for cars...often it’s the same as the limit for semis. And it isn’t always posted. Another issue to consider is that trailer tires are rarely rated for higher speeds. Might want to check that for yours, I can’t remember what the Boondock tires are rated at.)

Thanks for posting your real world experience on a long haul with the new XT. I’m glad to hear it went so well!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    edited June 2020
    VictoriaP said:
    . . . worth noting too that in many states, the speed limit for trailers is lower than for cars...often it’s the same as the limit for semis. And it isn’t always posted. . . .
    Yep, that is the case for Washington State.
    Vehicles towing a trailer are to use the Truck Speed Limit.  Not that many folks do so.
    I've only seen one highway sign telling drivers about this law, it's on I-90 Westbound outside of Cle Elum.

I'm in the use Truck Speed Limit when posted camp.
    Does help with MPG, really helps with reaction time and stress on TV/TAB/Driver.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    You should also check the max speed rating of your trailer tires.  Some of them are pretty low.  
  • Options
    Sorry, long post. Just ran into a huge problem with my 2020 Outback XT and the brake controller. Bought the car in early April, bought the Tab 320S in late May. I had the brake controller installed in early May by a professional installer because Subaru doesn't do 7 pin setups. The controller is a Draw-Tite brand, not my choice, I figured a professional referred by the Subaru dealership would know what they were doing. Drove 2800 miles from Atlanta to Seattle mid-June. In Wyoming, I woke up to a dead battery in my car. I assumed I had left the rear gate open too long or perhaps left an interior light on. Two days later, while waiting a couple of hours in the ferry line, my Subaru battery discharged again. Again, I thought my fault. I've been in Seattle for about 3 weeks now and this past week made my first trip to the Olympic Peninsula. 3 days camping and today at home, each morning finding a discharged car battery. 6 times over the past 3.5 weeks that my battery has discharged. Took the car in for service and dealership traces the battery discharge back to the brake controller. Subaru says remove the brake controller. My next step is to find another professional installer to check to see if it has been installed correctly. Stinks to have to buy a battery maintenance charger and a portable jump starter for a brand new car. No choice, until I figure out the problem. I'm in a mess.

1. My car functioned for weeks at a time with the brake controller installed and no issue. Why would the battery be discharging sporadically, although this week it has been every day?
    2. If this brake controller is installed properly, what are my options? From the way I see it, not good in any situation. Subaru denies it's their problem and I can guarantee that the professional installer will say it's not theirs either.
    3. Point: My Tab is way under the GVRW for this Subaru (it tows great by the way). If Subaru is selling cars that have a 3500 GVRW capacity, then they should have the capabilities to install comprehensive dealer tow packages and support what they sell. From what I understand, legally, you must have a brake controller for a trailer the size of a Tab 320.  Even if that were not so, I wouldn't want to tow without one.  Common sense says it's not safe.
    4. Has anyone else who has this vehicle had the same problem?

Any advice would be most appreciated.  

2021 320S BD
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I can’t really help on the wiring issue, as I went with a wireless controller for my 2015 Outback. What I can say is that Subaru’s stock batteries are garbage and often underpowered given all the parasitic drain on these cars with their computers controlling so many features; there are comments to that effect on all the Subie forums. Mine failed within a few months of purchase as well. You’ll still need to have that wiring for the controller checked, but at this point, given how many times the battery’s been drained fully and that it’s doing it daily, I would suggest taking it in to the nearest auto parts store and having it checked too; it may be too damaged to charge correctly.

If it needs replacement, it’s well worth getting one from anywhere other than Subaru. Based on the recommendations on the Outback forum, I ended up shelling out for an Optima Yellow Top AGM and have zero regrets (but I do also have a charger and jump starter, because they’re just plain good to have on hand anyway.)

Are you running the fridge on 12v while towing? My understanding is that some alternators are not powerful enough to handle that, especially on the newest cars. Also, are you leaving the trailer plugged into the car when you stop...like waiting two hours for a ferry? That also could be a bigger drain than your current battery, alternator, or wiring setup can handle. These are things a good installer should be able to help you figure out.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    If you're looking for a good brake controller installer in your area, I would check out Apache RV in Everett WA.  They sell T@bs and did a good job installing the controller in our Highlander, which I will share gets only 12 mpg towing a 400...
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Subaru says the battery is fine, it's just the brake controller causing the discharge.  I see what you mean though--if it discharges enough times, then the battery would be toast. I turn off the fridge and disconnect from the 7 pin if I'm stopped for more than a few minutes. I'll start with the controller and get it assessed, then go from there. Thank you for the recommendation Horigan. I will definitely call Apache.

2021 320S BD
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited July 2020
    @SubieDoo - is the battery Discharging only after towing?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @SubieDoo - is the battery Discharging only after towing?
    4 of the 6 times, it has been after towing. 2 other times, I hadn't towed for two weeks or more.

2021 320S BD
  • Options
    Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    edited July 2020
    Apache in Poulsbo is also excellent if you are still on Bainbridge Island. They installed 2 controllers for us in our Subaru’s  and no issues at all.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
    Clueless about everything electronic
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    staha1205staha1205 Member Posts: 7
    @j@ydub Which brake controllers have you used and work well with the Subaru Outback? Also wondering if you know if a brake controller can be wired to work with the emergency brake assist features in Subarus. Can't seem to find much on that topic around the internets. Thanks :)
    Shireen / 2019 T@B 320 CS-S / 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT / Gainesville, Florida
  • Options
    Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    I have to get the model number for you later when aI get home. When our dealer installed the controller he said it is wired to respond accordingly to the EBS. I couldn’t find much additional information either.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
    Clueless about everything electronic
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    AliaseAliase Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2020
    My husband and I have a 2020 Subaru Outback XT and we just bought a T@B 320 CS-S 2021 this month.  We have taken the T@B out twice now and both times noticed a faint push pull feeling.  Kinda a faint vertical oscillating. We are new to towing. Is this feeling normal? I wish we could have a professional drive our set up and say if this felt normal.
  • Options
    The TaBs are not very aerodynamic and you will feel some resistance - especially headed into a wind.  What speeds are you traveling when you feel the sensation?  Is it apparent at slower speeds?
  • Options
    Just discovered this type of hitch ball that helps to reduce the push/pull from towing a heavier trailer, https://www.amazon.com/CURT-40047-RockerBall-Cushion-Diameter/dp/B07YXJ73KY.  This motion is normal as the forces of accelerating and braking are transferred to the TV.  The lighter the TV, the more you will feel this movement.
    cheers
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Seems like a great product from what I have briefly read about it, @Denny16.  Certainly worthy of consideration.  It would add an extra 1 1/2" to the ball above the ball mount, so it might require purchasing a new ball mount as well to maintain the correct hitch height.  
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    BywaysNWBywaysNW Member Posts: 71
    edited August 2020
    Just back from a round-trip to Pullman with our 2021 Tab 320 Boondock and 2020 Outback XT.  No problems. About 20 mpg staying under 60, which is what the NuCamp manual says the trailer tires are rated for.  Got big improvements in mileage by dropping down to 50 mpg, but that seemed too slow for the traffic flow.

(Added “320” to avoid confusion.  Sharon - Mod)
  • Options
    jenniferlzrjenniferlzr Member Posts: 59
  • Options
    Which Tab? 400?
    An Outback XT has a max towing limit of 3500 lbs, and a tongue weight limit of 350. It should never be used to tow a 400 as it does not meet the minimum capacity needed for safe towing of a trailer that size. If you look at BywaysNW’s previous posts, they have a Tab 320.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    BywaysNW said:
    Here's our 2020 Outback XT (3500 lbs) and our 2021 Tab 320 Boondock. Just finished a round-trip over two mountain passes from Bend to Dayville, Oregon. No problems!  Mileage about 22 mpg.
    @jenniferlzr - their June post reports a 320.  (I will edit the subsequent post to include 320.)
  • Options
    Thanks all for comments about how some push pull is normal.  Being new to towing we just didn't know how it should feel.  My husband was driving 65 mph on way to our site this weekend.  We may look at a different hitch as I could see this getting old if you drove for three more hours with this motion.  
  • Options
    The TaBs are not very aerodynamic and you will feel some resistance - especially headed into a wind.  What speeds are you traveling when you feel the sensation?  Is it apparent at slower speeds?
    We don't notice it at all when going slow (below 50 mph)
  • Options
    The faster you drive, the greater the forces in your vehicle and trailer and the more motion you are going to feel.  The solution — slow down!
    cheers
  • Options
    OliveTwigOliveTwig Member Posts: 3
    We have been mulling over the same issue. Retired bought a 2018 3.6r Touring and a 2017 320s and max out the tongue weight almost immediately. We always keep our cars a long time 18 to 22 years . We are more them half way done paying for the Outback and thought of buying a van , but don’t want to give the Outback away. 
  • Options
    ckjsckjs Member Posts: 64
    OliveTwig said:
    ... Retired bought a 2018 3.6r Touring and a 2017 320s and max out the tongue weight almost immediately.. . We are more them half way done paying for the Outback and thought of buying a van , but don’t want to give the Outback away. 
    You can reduce the that weight significantly by replacing the lead acid battery with a lithium one.  Not cheap, but it lightened the tongue of our 320 CSS by 30 pounds, to ~180.
    Charles & Judy, Santa Cruz, CA
    2018 T@B 320 CS-S; Alde 3020; 4 cyl 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
  • Options
    @SubieDoo, did you get your battery/controller issue resolved, and if so, what turned out to be the problem?
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW