Safe Adhesive Removal From Window ?

TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
The dealer put an inventory sticker on the side window when I had the 400 in for warranty work. Any approved, safe means to remove the residual adhesive from the acrylic window?

Comments

• rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    edited March 2020
  • CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    Finger nail remover should work - use a micro - fiber towel and rub only very lightly
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Are those tried and true methods, manufacturers recommended method?
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    If Cherokee means fingernail POLISH remover DONT!!  That is acetone and inimical to acrylic.  Test Goo Gone on an unobtrusive part of a window.  Clean the Goo Gone residual with dish soap and water.  Then use Novus plastic polish to clean the windows.
    https://www.novuspolish.com.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited March 2020
    Aren’t the TaB windows polycarbonate, instead of Acrylic?  If so, polycarbonate is a lot tougher to scratch or shatter...
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    TNOutback said:
    Are those tried and true methods, manufacturers recommended method?

I've used acetone (finger nail polish remover)to remove various sticker residue on plastic trim before with good results. However, I haven't used it on a T@B  window and given it's possible ill effect on polycarbonate, my recommendation is in error, Sorry for the inconvenience. 
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    all I know is that you don't use windex on them...plexus is the only thing I was recommended to use..I'd call the factory...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Yes, knew about Windex, thanks for the tip about plexus.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    edited March 2020
    1. Find a hospital nurse.
    2. Have them appropriate a bottle or vial of V. Mueller Whisk adhesive remover. 
    3. Use a soft towel to remove adhesive.
    This stuff is worth it’s weight in gold. Removes any adhesive from any surface without damage.

‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    I always try WD40 first. It works most of the time.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • simonseyzsimonseyz Member Posts: 44
    The safest adhesive remover for plastic or any surface is vm&p Naphtha, Can be had from any paint store or Home Depot. Do not use nail polish remover on plastic.
    Every house hold should have naphtha on hand, it's great for glue, markers, wax, etc.
    2018 T@B 400+++2016 Chevy Colorado, 3.6 V6
    Hamburg, NY
  • simonseyzsimonseyz Member Posts: 44
    Also, naphtha works great to remove butyl tape and Dicor lap sealant, for those who want to re-seal their campers :)
    2018 T@B 400+++2016 Chevy Colorado, 3.6 V6
    Hamburg, NY
    Here is what I got back from Creed at NuCamp:

I don't have a specific recommendation. But you could google search the best method for removing adhesives from Acrylic. Here is a website that I found through my search - it sounds like baby oil and vinegar are some examples. 

https://www.hunker.com/13419628/how-to-remove-adhesive-from-acrylic
    I emailed Plastoform (the acrylic window manufacturer for our T@B windows) about what to use to remove the adhesive.  They asked me to send them a picture of the adhesive, which I did.  Their instruction was to use Isopropanol (common household rubbing alcohol) and a soft cloth to remove the adhesive.

They also provided a “safety sheet” that contained the following regarding cleaning of the windows:

CLEANING
    Never use abrasive and corrosive substances or solvents on windows, such as turpentine, spirit, dishwasher detergents, as they will damage acrylic and/or print. We recommend cleaning with generous amount of water or mild cleaner intended for use on acrylic. Every cleaning with dry cloth can damage the acrylic and leave scratches; always use moist sponge or moist soft cloth. Never clean windows with high pressure washer. Also carwash can damage windows and cause scratches or other damages.

Acrylic material can get scratched very easily, please consider above instructions for cleaning, so that you will not cause scratches or other damages while cleaning.  
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I used Goo Gone and a microfiber towel, put a dab on the corner of the towel; I put the wet corner of the Goo Gone on the adhesive for a few seconds and then lightly rubbed and it came right off.
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
    Well, the rubbing alcohol, along with a cut-up old T-shirt, did the trick.  @Dutch061 , per the manufacturer’s instructions, any kind of solvent should not be used.  I have and use Goo Gone on other things, but I didn’t want to risk messing up the window.

On another note, I asked Plastoform about those weird icon stickers, and what they actually mean, and I was surprised at the answer:  you are not to have the shade closed in direct sunlight!  They said it can deform and permanently damage the acrylic window due to the heat buildup between the shade and the window.  That’s when I want the shade!  
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @TNOutback, as a follow-up to your comments about the meaning of the window sticker, and just to add a bit more info on it, see the October 2019 by @jimcenname on the below discussion thread:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/128642#Comment_128642
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)