Options

Tongue wheel removal when camping

HenrietteHenriette Member Posts: 8
I have a Tab 320 S, 2019. I usually leave my tongue wheel on when camping. Should I? Or would it be better to remove the little wheel and place a block to stabilize? Is there a concern that keeping the wheel on would cause breakage to the wheel if left on when camping?

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Do whatever you feel is more convenient.  I tend to avoid using the wheel at the campsite, unless I want to manipulate the trailer by hand.  In those scenarios where I do, I tend to leave the wheel on.  The wheel can take a fair bit of abuse in my experience. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    I always think of the wheel as the "fifth stabilizer".  I feel it just adds a little more support to all that weight up on the front of the trailer.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    I always think of the wheel as the "fifth stabilizer".  I feel it just adds a little more support to all that weight up on the front of the trailer.

Whether you use a wheel attachment or not, you certainly always need to use the tongue jack to support the weight of the trailer. 

The four stabilizers are to provide stability, not support high loads. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited March 2020
    You can get a flat metal plate that attaches to the jack like the wheel does, and provides a more stable support point, with the larger area of the wheel.  I usually place a 2x6 block under the pad to increase the ground pressure area and reduce the amount of cranking to level the trailer.

The jack and wheels support the weight of the trailer, the rest is just stabilizing to keep the trailer from bouncing on its suspension when you are inside.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    You can get a flat metal plate that attaches to the jack like the wheel does, and provides a more stable support point, with the larger area of the wheel.  I usually place a 2x6 block under the pad to increase the ground pressure area and reduce the amount of cranking to level the trailer.
    cheers

When not using the wheel, I just set the jack post directly on the 2x6 wood blocks. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Ditto to what @Sharon_is_SAM and @Tampakayaker use. It keeps the wheel from sinking in soft ground.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,499
    Henriette said:
    I have a Tab 320 S, 2019. I usually leave my tongue wheel on when camping. Should I? Or would it be better to remove the little wheel and place a block to stabilize? Is there a concern that keeping the wheel on would cause breakage to the wheel if left on when camping?
    It's fine to leave the wheel on. The advantage is that you can move the trailer after unhooking.  If your aim isn't terribly good when you're backing up this can help when you're hooking back up again.

On the other hand, if you put a big block underneath the jack tube instead, you can save yourself some cranking. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    It's fine to leave the wheel on but you might consider keeping a metal foot or block of wood handy. I often find that on uneven ground I can't lower the nose enough to get the trailer level if I have that bulky wheel on there.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited March 2020
    One thing I will caution you about or basically something to keep in mind is this, I used a piece of 4 x 4 treated block religiously until last year.  I had parked my 400 in Arizona and had placed the 4 inch block under the tongue. I had the flat metal foot at the bottom of the tongue jack in place of the wheel as the wheel is useless in loose soil.  While I was running the front stabilizers down and after having one stabilizer down, a gust of wind came along and hit the side of the trailer causing the trailer to shift and come off the 4 x 4 block.  As a result of the trailer coming off the wood both front stabilizer’s were down but the weight of the trailer buckled the front stabilizers.  If you are going to use wood I would recommend a piece of 2 x 6 or something wider than a 4 x 4 treated lumber and you shouldn’t have any issues.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    I use 2x6, cut 12-inches long, have not had the front jack pad slide around.  A quick screw securing the plate in windy weather would insure is does not.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I’ve used a metal foot under the tongue jack on both my for T@B S Max and my current T@B 400. I also put a stack of 4 yellow plastic jack pads (with their Velcro tie to keep them together) under the foot before I put the weight on it. This keeps the foot out of the mud or sand or whatever, and it works well. It’s only about 4” to 4” tall but they work well. They’ve been through 5 years of weight between both T@B and they are currently under the tongue jack back by the barn. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    Always place wheel chucks on each wheel, crank down your stabilizers, and you can leave the jack wheel on or take it off - it will make no difference. I've left our 10" duel jack wheels on through wind and storms and the T@B remained stable.
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,499
    Verna said:
    I’ve used a metal foot under the tongue jack on both my for T@B S Max and my current T@B 400. I also put a stack of 4 yellow plastic jack pads (with their Velcro tie to keep them together) under the foot before I put the weight on it. This keeps the foot out of the mud or sand or whatever, and it works well. It’s only about 4” to 4” tall but they work well. They’ve been through 5 years of weight between both T@B and they are currently under the tongue jack back by the barn. 
    I've been using 3-4 of the yellow "lego" blocks lately with no foot at all. The tube fits nicely between the raised ridges so I'm pretty sure it's not going to slide anywhere.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    No Jack wheel - wonder why this space was available?
  • Options
    Jack wheel left on

• Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    @Cherokee- I love those wheel chocks.  Where did you buy them  =)
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    ginsbujginsbuj Member Posts: 44
    I swapped my wheel for the flat plate mainly because I've had the trailer move sideways when boondocking with the wheel in place. The plate is slightly more stable. The only downside is if you are on a very flat pad you don't have the ability toe move the trailer manually.
  • Options
    I keep both in my trailer box, and select which one is best for the situation.  They come on and off quickly.  
    Cheers
  • Options
    gspdx said:
    @Cherokee- I love those wheel chocks.  Where did you buy them  =)
    Rhy Patch State Recreation Area, Nevada. Cost: an exorbitant amount of elbow grease. But very versatile:

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Cherokee said:
    No Jack wheel - wonder why this space was available?
    OK...that's funny! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop