Options

No more bent Jacks - Installing a Jack-e-up on a 320 Boondock

Don't let this happen to you - taken from the web:

How it happens -note the jack embracing the trail:
Note: this can happen on the street to

The fix:

After hitching, the jack is cranked down, twisted and removed:

Note that the placement of the Jack-e-up conflicts with the tire support framing.
We through bolted thru steel tubes cut to length above our Lock-n-roll coupler to allow the device to mount:
Note: due to the superior engineering of the Lock-n-Roll system, the safety chains are superfluous and we no
longer let them drag on the trail. However, we add them back when we air-up to appease the authorities.

Removed from the TV, the Jack is extended to engage the device above our Croft 10" Jack wheel

CHEERS!
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Nice looking setup.  Did you find yourself in situations when the original hitch didn’t offer enough movement between the trailer and TV?
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    Denny16 said:
    Nice looking setup.  Did you find yourself in situations when the original hitch didn’t offer enough movement between the trailer and TV?
    cheers

Thanks! The lock-n-Roll was added shortly after we got the trailer - preempting the sad stories I herd about a 2" ball and NuCamps good, but constraining coupler. Unfortunately, I waited till I bent a Jack to order the Jack-e-up. Fortunately, trailer jacks are $60 cheep, but getting home with a bent one requires too much time bonding with a bottle jack. - Cheers 

• Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    Cherokee, on my Jack-e-up I cut out this area of the Jack-e-up and removed the aluminum rail. Now I can swing my Jeep tale gate open for access into the Jeep after removing the jack. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    Here is photo Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    gulfarea said:
    Cherokee, on my Jack-e-up I cut out this area of the Jack-e-up and removed the aluminum rail. Now I can swing my Jeep tale gate open for access into the Jeep after removing the jack. Art

Looks like a good solution. A little cutting gets you to the same place my longer bolts produced.
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Cherokee said:
    Denny16 said:
    cheers

Thanks! The lock-n-Roll was added shortly after we got the trailer - preempting the sad stories I herd about a 2" ball and NuCamps good, but constraining coupler. Unfortunately, I waited till I bent a Jack to order the Jack-e-up. Fortunately, trailer jacks are $60 cheep, but getting home with a bent one requires too much time bonding with a bottle jack. - Cheers 

That Lock n Roll is pretty impressive.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Cherokee said:
    Denny16 said:
    cheers

That Lock n Roll is pretty impressive.

Thanks! Check out it's advantages:

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Cherokee said:
    Denny16 said:
    cheers

I think a lot of those stories are user error, from people who have never towed before. If there is weight forward on the hitch, people will have difficulty closing or opening the coupler. Move to a level spot and you are good.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited March 2020

jkjenn said:
    Cherokee said:
    Denny16 said:
    cheers

I think a lot of those stories are user error, from people who have never towed before. If there is weight forward on the hitch, people will have difficulty closing or opening the coupler. Move to a level spot and you are good.
    You are correct about moving to a level spot, but that's not always easy to find where I take my T@B. When I picked up my trailer, the dealer had to rock the trailer back and forth to get it to latch. Perhaps, I should have clarified that the limited range of movement in a  NuCamp coupler is what I herd about - Note this is not an issue on the street. As I said, it is a good coupler. However, not all ball couplers perform the same, and for my  use, range is important. It would be physically impossible to match the movement of a lock-n-roll coupler with a ball. When T@B owned Little Guy, they put a different coupler on the Rough Rider off road teardrop for the same reason I changed mine.The Range of the stock coupler is documented here:

• Options
    Cherokee said:

jkjenn said:
    Cherokee said:
    Denny16 said:
    cheers

You are correct about moving to a level spot, but that's not always easy to find where I take my T@B. When I picked up my trailer, the dealer had to rock the trailer back and forth to get it to latch. Perhaps, I should have clarified that the limited range of movement in a  NuCamp coupler is what I herd about - Note this is not an issue on the street. As I said, it is a good coupler. However, not all ball couplers perform the same, and for my  use, range is important. It would be physically impossible to match the movement of a lock-n-roll coupler with a ball. When T@B owned Little Guy, they put a different coupler on the Rough Rider off road teardrop for the same reason I changed mine.The Range of the stock coupler is documented here:

Yup. The Lock and Roll has its place. I almost put one on my old M416 trailer. The average T@b user doesn't need to make the change. Probably best for those doing serious off roading. 

I typically do fin by just pull to a non sloped area releasing the coupler but moving the T@b very slowly into place. It is more about not having weight forward on the hitch than being perfectly level.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    Cherokee said:

jkjenn said:
    Cherokee said:
    Denny16 said:
    cheers

Yup. The Lock and Roll has its place. I almost put one on my old M416 trailer. The average T@b user doesn't need to make the change. Probably best for those doing serious off roading. 

I typically do fin by just pull to a non sloped area releasing the coupler but moving the T@b very slowly into place. It is more about not having weight forward on the hitch than being perfectly level.

Wasn't the M416 was a Vietnam era Military Jeep trailer? Do you still have it? You're right that most T@B owners don't need a Lock-n-roll hitch; but when I saw Mandy's video showing NuCamp coming up to hers with a jig to lift her 320 up to replace the frame, I vowed to get one prior to attempting any 4x4 road in my Boondock tougher then a well graded one. 4X4 experience does tend to change one's prospective. I've hitched my TAB on a steep slope that I couldn't have with a ball. However, your method sound's like good advice for a ball coupler though. The Jack-e-up compliments the set-up to.    
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    The lock n roll is a great off road hitch.  I had one on my overland trailer about 15 years ago.  Worked great.  However if anyone is considering this type of hitch for their 320 or Tag BD I recommend using the Max Coupler over the lock n roll.  I used one on my second off road trailer and in my opinion it has a few advantages over the lock n roll.  It's quieter and I never had an issue with it binding up or sticking when trying to un-hook it.  Sometimes the lock n roll latching plates will stick or bind up and can be difficult to open.  The max coupler just has a pin to pull.  But both great options.  However on my latest trailer, a 400 I don't think either will be needed!  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    @bergger: why do you think you won't need the articulating hitch for the 400?

The reason I ask is I have a 400 and don't plan to convert.  I do plan to go into more remote areas but will just be getting more off the beaten path this year.  I don't think I will be going as far as @Cherokee but still it only takes one dry creek bed to complicate a perfectly fun drive!

When I lived in Utah I had a pop up camper and I camped with people that had big trailers and they dragged those things into some unbelievable places.  Nobody ever worried about that.  The all had standard balls with WDH setups and I can remember following them up some really serious mountain forest roads and watching the trailers sway back and forth and wondering when one was going to go over on its side!
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    gspdx said:
    @bergger: why do you think you won't need the articulating hitch for the 400?

The 400 won't be able to be towed any place where a lock n roll or max coupler is needed.  The places I took my old trailers were crazy and the looks I got from people who saw me in those places validated that.  A max coupler was necessary, not so much for the trailer rolling, they won't stop that from happening, but for keeping it attached to the truck.  A 2" ball will pop off in extreme terrain.  My last trailer was an off road A-frame with a standard 2" ball and I took that down some really good roads here in Colorado with no issues.  Probably places I won't take the 400 but who knows maybe I'll try.  A few dry creek beds and off camber forest roads are no problem for a standard 2" ball when carefully towed.  But I have heard the standard coupler on the 400 can be finicky so maybe in the future I will have a max coupler added.  They are easy to hook up and un-hook in my opinion.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    bergger said:
    The lock n roll is a great off road hitch.  I had one on my overland trailer about 15 years ago.  Worked great.  However if anyone is considering this type of hitch for their 320 or Tag BD I recommend using the Max Coupler over the lock n roll.  I used one on my second off road trailer and in my opinion it has a few advantages over the lock n roll.  It's quieter and I never had an issue with it binding up or sticking when trying to un-hook it.  Sometimes the lock n roll latching plates will stick or bind up and can be difficult to open.  The max coupler just has a pin to pull.  But both great options.  However on my latest trailer, a 400 I don't think either will be needed!  
    Odd, though I've towed my 320 Boondock through several trails, the rock & roll hitch has never bind. However, sometimes a light tap is needed to dislodge the swinging plates. Lubrication that doesn't collect dirt is important - silicone spry seems to work best for the hitch and my exposed stabilizer screws. If any coupler reaches the limit of it's range, and the TW and trailer continue on opposing paths, something has to give. The cold rolled channels that make up NuCamp's frames can bend or twist when this happens. With the larger mass and greater tongue weight of a 400, a Jack-e-up is a great accessory as well. If a max coupler suits you - put one on - as the range of motion in NuCamp's coupler is quite small:

Personally, I find the lock-n-roll easier to deal with then the ball coupler that came with my trailer. If the max is as easy to hitch and unhitch - buy it
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    @bergger Good info.  Pretty much what I was thinking.  No serious off-roading with the trailer.  Will be heading out into the boonies as soon as it warms up a bit.  On the other side of the Cascades the lows are supposed to be in the teens next week.  
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    Boondocking in solace!
  • Options
    Cherokee said:.

Wasn't the M416 was a Vietnam era Military Jeep trailer? Do you still have it? 
    Yup. Most made right here, in western Pennsylvania.

I sold it when I bought my T@b. 😁

I stuck with the Pintle hitch but either the Max Coupler or the Lock and Roll would have been better choices.

I sold it to a guy outside of Akron back in 2014.

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    @jkjenn Great shot, as always! What did it look like set up? I’m guessing that’s a rooftop tent?
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    VictoriaP said:
    @jkjenn Great shot, as always! What did it look like set up? I’m guessing that’s a rooftop tent?
    Yup! Here it is in Yellowstone. Yes, that's snow.

• Options
    @jkjenn Brrrrr.....! Makes me grateful for the Alde. But what a terrific setup, better than having to climb on top of the Jeep.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    VictoriaP said:
    @jkjenn Brrrrr.....! Makes me grateful for the Alde. But what a terrific setup, better than having to climb on top of the Jeep.
    Climbing up on the rooftop wasn't so bad for sleeping, it was trying to get everything tucked in and zipped when I packed up that was the challenge.

Funny story about the rooftop setup: my first night in it was on the beach at Lake Erie.....during a windstorm....the whole Jeep shook all night. Although I felt plenty safe, it was loud!! I barely slept.

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    VictoriaP said:
    Climbing up on the rooftop wasn't so bad for sleeping, it was trying to get everything tucked in and zipped when I packed up that was the challenge.

Funny story about the rooftop setup: my first night in it was on the beach at Lake Erie.....during a windstorm....the whole Jeep shook all night. Although I felt plenty safe, it was loud!! I barely slept.

I really love this shot. Just screams “adventure” to me!

My first night in the Tab was in a windstorm with 70 mph gusts. Stabilizers down and tail into the wind, that thing did not move. Good thing I sleep with earplugs though.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    VictoriaP said:

Cool shot! - My wife spent a lot of time crouching behind a jeep wheel cooking to avoid the wind. I could never talk her into a roof top tent - she gets motion sickness and the border collie doesn't like climbing ladders. So we stayed on the ground before we bought the T@B:

• Options
    ddpddp Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have experience with security locks on the articulating hitches?