Options

T@B door hinge acting strange

Our 2015 entry door has always swung freely, but since we got back from our last ski trip a few weeks ago it's gotten very stiff to open.  Like so stiff it feels like I'm going to break something if I close it.   It appears to be the top hinge, but I can't find anything wrong.  It was working fine when we got home and unloaded.  I raised the stabilizers to see if I was somehow torquing the body, but no effect. Sprayed a little lube in there, but it's definitely an impingement issue.  I guess I'll wait to see if it acts different at different temps. 

I'm not sure what I'll do if it doesn't get better.  The hinge is riveted into the door frame, screws on the door side.  The pin is pressed in, but not sure how hard to remove and straighten if bent.  Anybody else had their door act up?

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Yikes! I have not heard of anyone having this issue. Maybe email tech support at nuCamp?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Yeah, I'd say @jkjenn is spot on. Email tech support. Wonder if the somewhat drastic change in air temps caused some expansion in the wood casing of the door frame? 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited March 2020
    First I hear of this problem--no matter how long you hang around there is always something new here on the forum...
    I wonder if that hinge pin you mention is broken in place and catching on some other part of the hinge mechanism. I guess I'd start by removing the door and seeing if I could press the pin out for a closer inspection.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @db_cooper, are you sure it is binding at the hinge?  What is it about the top hinge that suggests to you that is the problem?  I'm wondering if the issue may be that the lock strike plate needs to be slightly adjusted, or that latch itself needs to be lubricated with some lithium grease or similar lubricant.  I only suggest this based on your description of it feeling like it is going to break when you try to close the door.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    It's not the strike plate for sure, it latches cleanly once you force it past halfway.   The upper latch appears to deform a little as you move the door past the halfway mark.  I think the pin may be bent.  Won't have a chance to work on it for a week or two.  Just strange since we didn't damage it with wind and it was fine when we got home and unloaded the camper. 

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @db_cooper
    I don't see how that pin could have been bent.  As you can see in the photo, the hinges are pretty robust.  When you get a chance, check that the screws are all tight and the hinges are properly aligned.  The problem may not actually be the upper hinge.  If either or both of the other two hinges are loose that may make the upper hinge "bow out' as you close the door.
    Looks to me like the only adjustments are on the door itself.  The hinge mechanism is held to the frame with four rivets and two screws.  Check the two screws holding the hinges to the door.  All three hinges should be evenly aligned on the door.

• Options
    Just got back after a week away.  I had sprayed some Boeshield around each hinge before I left.  It started to work,  now the door opens smoother, but you can hear it for a country mile!  It makes more sense, since the door worked fine when we got home, but a week later not so much.  It took a few days for the corrosion to set in.  If I'd waited another week, I might not have been able to open at all.

Apparently there was enough salt and other contaminants from our ski trip to get in and corrode around the pins a bit,  especially the bottom hinge.

I've sprayed PB Blaster on it now, and will keep playing with it every day until it loosens up.  So if you use your camper where they salt the roads,  might be a good idea to add this to your maintenance schedule.

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @db_cooper
    Wow, who'd a thunk it!  But that raises the question of what else has the salt gotten to?
  • Options
    I coated all of the frame/axle bits with Fluid Film, and washed when we got home, but as soon as it warms up I'll reapply.  No signs of real rust and only takes 15 minutes to do. Another benefit of a tiny trailer!

• Options
    @dbcooper Glad it was an easy fix for you!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited March 2020
    @jkjenn, turns out it's an easy temporary fix, but not from lubrication.

It helped, but door was still super loud and hard to swing.  I was pretty sure it was the bottom half of the bottom hinge, so I disconnected it from the door and sure enough, door swings free and that part of hinge is super stiff.

I tried a heat gun, tapping the pins and hinge to no success.

So the temporary fix is to push the bottom part out of the way and tucked under the weather stripping, and rely on half of the hinge. I'm It's still plenty strong for this light of a door.  I guess I'll replace it if the other half fails, but it requires drilling out the rivets so it will be a pain.

Here's what it looks like:

And here's the top good hinge

• Options
    Hmmmm

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    I wonder if the small washer below the faulty hinge has been damaged by friction under the weight of the door, such that it acts more like a lock washer.  I don't have any experience with this hinge, but wondering if it's possible to lift out the pin, at least partially, enough to replace the washer & get some grease in there.  Maybe a nail set punch from the bottom could push the pin up?

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    @BrianZ

Funny you should say that, there's a missing one on the functioning top hinge, but the bottom looks ok.

I tried tapping every direction and no change. The pin appears to be mushroomed on bottom, so it would have to be cut.  More work than I want to do until I have to.

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Yeah, @db_cooper, sounds like hacksaw time.  Good luck.  Will be interesting to hear what you find out eventually, if anything.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods