Mods/Upgrades while waiting out social distancing . Please share yours.

Comments

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    It's probably safe to say, I'm a bit harder on my trailer than most. I'll take it, behind my Jeep, most anywhere it'll fit. So my recommendation, if you are looking for some maintenance chores to keep you busy, is to crawl under your trailer with a can or tube of antisieze and coat a dab on the exposed threads of bolts. This is more important if you live (Wisconsin) where road crews use lots of salt. While you're under there, grab a handful of zip ties and tidy up all the various cables, wires and hoses. I think I probably have 30 lbs of them under there by now and still, things loosen up and snag on stuff.
    Looky looky, check checky....
    WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    Here are some things I have done both before and after our trip.
    We added a memory foam topper but in order to access the storage under the bed, we cut it into three pieces. Then we used crib sheets to keep them in place. We use an RV Superbag for our bedding which has been great. We really don't notice the seams.

I moved the shower curtain from behind the toilet. Because I like to stand when using it. :-)

I put shelves in the closet. Netting from Organized Obie will be here tomorrow. The vacuum is on its charger base, plugged into the 110 outlet in the cubby by the bed.

One of these switches turn off the TV and radio as well as the 5-volt supply I installed behind the television to power my Fire Stick and Raspberry Pi media server. The other one controls the power supply I use for my CPAP. It converts 12 volts to the 24 volts needed by the unit. With the humidifier off, it only draws 12 watts.

Finally, I installed some 12 volt sockets under the driver side seat to connect my laptop 12 volt adapter and charge devices when dry camping. I had great luck finding the wires that run to the 12 volt panel by the sink. This is a much better location. In hind site, I could have moved them down a few inches to prevent interference with the table in its low position. I don't envision ever using that feature. A lagun table is my next project.

I have learned a lot from the group and I hope somebody can use these.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    edited April 2020
    @JeffroNC nice mods. I was in my 400 reading your post and really liked the shower curtain mod. It took a few minutes and it opens up the toilet area considerably. I never liked being engulfed with a damp shower curtain (or even a dry one) while using the head. 
    We just opted for a 8” Zinus full size mattress to replace our original mattresses and a 3” topper which served us well for over 100 nights. I like your three piece solution for the topper as a one piece has its’ disadvantages as we use the under bed storage frequently. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @DenisP Thanks. We were planning for a six month trip so we were using winter clothes and had summer clothes and motorcycle gear stored under the bed. We really needed access to that space.

2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited April 2020
    I added the Boondock Tub aluminum spare tire carrier and a gas assist strut for the tub lid.  Both were easy installs.  However, MUCH TO MY DISMAY, after I had mounted the tire carrier I discovered that the Boondock wheel and tire could not be removed due to inadequate spacing between the carrier and my Jack-It bike carrier tower.  I had not even considered that possibility, so it definitely ruined my day.  I made a valiant attempt to make it work by moving the tub as far back as I could, but I still came up about 1/2" short.  Fortunately, I plugged the two mounting holes on the tub with a couple plastic hole plugs and it looks fine.  Regardless, LESSON LEARNED........if you happen to have the Bike-It carrier, don't add the nüCamp tire carrier to your aluminum tub.  [SIDE NOTE:  the tire carrier is very nice..............I am totally bummed.]  

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Bayliss said:
    I added the Boondock Tub aluminum spare tire carrier and a gas assist strut for the tub lid.  Both were easy installs.  However, MUCH TO MY DISMAY, after I had mounted the tire carrier I discovered that the Boondock wheel and tire could not be removed due to inadequate spacing between the carrier and my Jack-It bike carrier tower.  I had not even considered that possibility, so it definitely ruined my day.  I made a valiant attempt to make it work by moving the tub as far back as I could, but I still came up about 1/2" short.  Fortunately, I plugged the two mounting holes on the tub with a couple plastic hole plugs and it looks fine.  Regardless, LESSON LEARNED........if you happen to have the Bike-It carrier, don't add the nüCamp tire carrier to your aluminum tub.  [SIDE NOTE:  the tire carrier is very nice..............I am totally bummed.]  

Very interesting. This is the first I have seen this issue mentioned. Any chance you took other photos that illustrate this?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

@jkjenn, I have a separate post on what the tire carrier looks like, but the only thing I would have been able to photograph (but didn't......too frustrated) was the lack of clearance between the carrier lug bolts and the wheel rim.  It was soooooooooooo close once I moved the tub back as far as I could, but not close enough.  No matter which angle I tried to remove the wheel, the carrier lugs blocked the wheel from being removed.  It would not have been an issue with the standard size spare, but the Boondock wheel and tire are just too wide.  Actually, it is the width of the rubber tire itself that caused the problem, because it pushed up against the Bike-It tower and blocked me from being able to turn the tire and wheel combination to get around the lugs.  As I said, a total bummer.
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

Bayliss said:
    @jkjenn, I have a separate post on what the tire carrier looks like, but the only thing I would have been able to photograph (but didn't......too frustrated) was the lack of clearance between the carrier lug bolts and the wheel rim.  It was soooooooooooo close once I moved the tub back as far as I could, but not close enough.  No matter which angle I tried to remove the wheel, the carrier lugs blocked the wheel from being removed.  It would not have been an issue with the standard size spare, but the Boondock wheel and tire are just too wide.  Actually, it is the width of the rubber tire itself that caused the problem, because it pushed up against the Bike-It tower and blocked me from being able to turn the tire and wheel combination to get around the lugs.  As I said, a total bummer.
    Thanks. The new aluminum tub is wider from left to right but I think it might not come out as far towards the tip of the tongue so I wonder if that will make a difference on the 2021 models?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

edited April 2020
    @jkjenn, I have wondered the same thing.  I suspect that my configuration (with the "Jack-It" bike carrier tower) may have worked with the newer tub, because, as you have suggested, it appears to be wider side-to-side and may not stick out quite as far as the original aluminum tub.

• Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    @jameskuzman all I can say about the Maxxair fan so far is that it works as it's supposed to. Since there's no camping anywhere, and we're still getting some snow, I haven't done more than test it out. I do love the remote since I'm pretty short, and the fact that it can operate in the rain is a huge plus. We're hoping that the draw on the battery is less than the Fantastic Fan since we don't have any solar--that's the next project for sometime soon, I hope! 
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @Cbusguy: where did you get the smart shunt from? I have looked online, and some dealers are stating “preorder “ w it’s August delivery!😳 I want to get this installed now! Lol
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @4ncar Hodges marine.......checked their website and it shows back ordered.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Cbusguy said:
    🤬
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    4ncar said:
    Cbusguy said:
    🤬
    Bay Marine also carries it: https://baymarinesupply.com/victron-smartshunt-battery-monitor.html

I have ordered from them and had good service.

• Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
    edited April 2020
    Tab 400 Faucet mod
    Do you mind sharing what faucet you used and how you did this? I have been considering changing out to a pull down style faucet, but I had planned to make a hole for the faucet to the right of the sink (there isn’t really room behind the sink for installation underneath) and then eventually replacing the sink.....but your mod looks much easier :)!!  I assume you made the wood cover - beautiful work.
    Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.
  • BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237

AguaStella AS1010BN Brushed Nickel Bar Faucet or Prep Kitchen Sink Faucet with Single Handle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QK4VFRY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_K03MEb7YK09SQ

This is the link to the faucet, the hole in your sink fits it. A little tricky removing the hinges on the current glass cover, 
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • casadesaraymattcasadesaraymatt Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2020
    @BirdieJane Do you have any pics without the cutting board in place? Curious how the new faucet looks mounted where the old one was. We've been wanting to do exactly this, but was curious if a "normal" faucet would work.
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    If you want to keep your existing sink cover, this faucet upgrade works well.

Details here: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/125783/#Comment_125783

Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
    edited April 2020
    casadesaraymatt

here you go!

Edited for photo size.

2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.

AguaStella AS1010BN Brushed Nickel Bar Faucet or Prep Kitchen Sink Faucet with Single Handle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QK4VFRY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_K03MEb7YK09SQ

This is the link to the faucet, the hole in your sink fits it. A little tricky removing the hinges on the current glass cover, 
    Thanks so much - and I see they even make a pull down version!  

Any tips on removing those hinges?

Any special connectors for hooking up the plumbing?
    Michael49

To remove the hinges you need to remove the sink. 4 screws on top of the sink, unthread the drain at the base of the sink. Then disconnect the hot and cold water lines. Remove the glass top from the hinges. Now you must remove the original faucet. I found this difficult without damaging the hot and cold attachments at the base of the faucet. If you can get the PEX fittings apart it should come out, if not the hot or cold nipple will break off and it will come out.

Now for the hinges, each hinge is installed complete with 2 rivets. The rivets need to remain so your sink does not leak. So you need to remove 2 screws with nuts and 2 springs each side of the riveted hinge frame. Once these are removed you will need to flex the hinge to remove it from the hinge pass through opening. You should pad between the hinge and sink and flex the hinge so it bends enough to slide out the hinge opening. Once both are out you are ready to install the faucet. 

You will need 2 double male 3/8 compression fitting nipples, and a short 3/8 female to 1/2 female hot and cold line. These will connect between the faucet plumbing and the Tab plumbing. 

Hope this was helpful, sorry to ramble.
    Michael49

Hope this was helpful...
    Very helpful - thanks so much for the detailed explanation. 
  • R&BR&B Member Posts: 16

Added shelves to the closet.

• R&BR&B Member Posts: 16

Removed the bathroom sink and added shelves for linen and pantry storage.

This discussion has been closed.