Swapping out 2 way refrigerator in Tab 400 for 3 way

Jax0913Jax0913 Member Posts: 64
Wondering if anyone has put a 3 way fridge in place of the 2 way in the 400, or if it is even possible. 

We have a 400 with the closet, which we love and don't want to loose. I would love the flexibility to have a propane fridge in place of the 2 way fridge. Wondering if this is even possible, or for input. Thanks! 
2018 T@B 400
2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

Comments

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    I don't know if it has been done or even can be done but be aware that due to the physics of cooling with propane a 3-way fridge is much, much less efficient when using battery power than the 2-way fridge.  If you will only ever be running the fridge from propane or from shore power it probably won't make a difference.  But if you might, at times, intend to run the fridge from the battery you will run the battery down fairly quickly.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I suppose anything is possible so long as the replacement unit you choose fits in the available space.
    Both 120V AC and 12V DC should already be available in that location to power the existing fridge. However, you will need to safely run a new propane supply line to the new fridge, as well as provide an intake and exhaust for the propane burner. These latter details will like require some carefully placed holes in the side of your camper (the specifications of which will depend on the model of fridge you choose as a replacement).
    I suspect this would be an advanced project for most owners, and one that should only be attempted by someone with solid electrical, gas, and carpentry skills.
    Three-way fridges do have their drawbacks but I agree the ability to run on propane is a big advantage to those who need to stretch their battery power. Please post about it if you do figure something out! 
    2015 T@B S
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Supposedly the new two way is very efficient.

Why are you changing it?   Curious is all
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Personally, I would stick with the much more efficient 2-way fridge.  Changing out the same size space will get you 2/3rds the refrigerator space, and even on LPG, the glass Matt 3-way Fire is far less efficient,,even on gas.  The 2-way compressor frig, is much better, fewer issues and more reliable.  My two cents worth.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Does anyone have real-world info on what the 12V DC power consumption is of the newer 2-way fridges (particularly compared to a 3-way running on propane)?
    To turn this discussion on its head, maybe I'll consider replacing my cantankerous 3-way with a modern 2-way when it eventually gives up the ghost. Might even be a good excuse to upgrade my battery capacity.  :-)
    2015 T@B S
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    The two way will run several days on battery alone. Rather than swapping for a three way for longer run time on propane, an easier solution may be to add solar if you don't have it.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • boonieboonie Member Posts: 83
    When we traded up from the 320 to the 400 in March, we asked if they could switch out the fridge to the 3-way. Nucamp told the dealer it would not fit. I am so glad we stayed with the 2 way, it works great, very happy with it.
    2018- 400- Colorado V6-Marin MT bikes :) 
    Looking at the isotherm website the small drawer type fridges are listed power utilization from 285-400 watts per 24 hours depending on the size.   
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    ScottG said:
    Does anyone have real-world info on what the 12V DC power consumption is of the newer 2-way fridges (particularly compared to a 3-way running on propane)?
    To turn this discussion on its head, maybe I'll consider replacing my cantankerous 3-way with a modern 2-way when it eventually gives up the ghost. Might even be a good excuse to upgrade my battery capacity.  :-)
    A little over 2ah draw for the new 2 way fridges. Thry also cool faster from what I understand.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I love the two-way fridge in my 2019 400. Although I was wary at first, with the roof mounted solar panels, I have never regretted the two-way fridge. It’s power usage is very low, much like the ARB fridge freezer in my truck. I’m a happy camper. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    We have a 2020 400 BDL with the 2 way compressor refrigerator. This is the 4th RV I have owned, and 2nd NuCamp. My experience with the 2 way is that it is far superior to any of the Absorption style refrigerators in the other 3 RV's I have owned.

1. It cools faster
    2. It has a fan inside to help circulate the cool air
    3. You don't have to be careful on how you load it
    4. It holds temperature much better than any Absorption refrigerator I have owned
    5. You don't have to be over concerned about the camper being level - obviously you want it level for sleep
    6. You don't have to be concerned about having the propane on while traveling
    7. You don't end up with a half warm refrigerator with suspect food to throw away

How many more do you want?

The compressor technology has gotten so good that there is no reason for Absorption refrigerators to exist anymore other than "that's the way RV refrigerators have always been". Take a cooler so you can keep the door closed and don't put to much stuff in and don't forget to buy a fan and oh never put anything that isn't already cold in there unless you want everything else to spoil.

Happy trails,

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
    edited April 2020
    Yes, and Absorption = 3-way gas/ electric non compressor refrig, a design from the 1960s.
    Forbthe many issues with 3-way refrigerators, see 
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7717/norcold-3163-3-way-refrigerator-wont-start-on-propane-what-fixed-mine-general-diagnostic-advice#latest
    Time to move on... 

• berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    edited April 2020
    I would not wast the time and money trying to replace the 2 way with a 3 way.  Efficient electric fridges are pretty great.  I've had electric fridges and 3 way and have had great performance out of both.  The norcold fridge I had was great and super efficient but did fail after 5 years.  Usually they last years and years, never found out what the issue was with it.  The norcold 3 way fridge I had in my last trailer was amazing.  Never had an issue with it on any fuel source.  Got super cold.  I think both types are really good and if you have the 2 way I'd stick with it.  Just get a solar kit if you don't already have one and call it a day. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
    jkjenn said:
    ScottG said:
    A little over 2ah draw for the new 2 way fridges. Thry also cool faster from what I understand.
    Thanks, @jkjenn. Am I correct in assuming the 2ah draw is only when the compressor in running, so it is not actually continuous?
    2015 T@B S
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    ScottG said:
    jkjenn said:
    ScottG said:
    Thanks, @jkjenn. Am I correct in assuming the 2ah draw is only when the compressor in running, so it is not actually continuous?
    I haven't tested yet, but will let you know. My ARB is right around that draw, too, and my GZ battery seems to last a long time with it. I hope to be able to do some testing this summer.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Yes the 2A draw is only when the refrigerator compressor is actually running.  
    Cheers
    Bored out of my mind.....my 3way fridge from 70 degree ambient took 10 amps at 12 volt to run.   Ouch.

So it wouldn't run over night on the stock battery.
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    Cbusguy said:
    Bored out of my mind.....my 3way fridge from 70 degree ambient took 10 amps at 12 volt to run.   Ouch.

So it wouldn't run over night on the stock battery.
    Yep, same here.  The 3 way fridge has a large power draw on the 12v setting.  I only use the 12v setting when traveling to and from the campsite after it's been pre-cooled by plug in or propane.  I found out today that with it on 12v and plugged into my Nissan Titan I was still able to get some charge to the battery.   No worries about draining the battery on those long drives.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Jax0913Jax0913 Member Posts: 64
    Great points! We have 200 watts of solar on the roof we modded last year. So far it has been enough to keep us topped off running the fridge but was just curious if it would be better to add a propane fridge.
    2018 T@B 400
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Jax0913 said:
    Great points! We have 200 watts of solar on the roof we modded last year. So far it has been enough to keep us topped off running the fridge but was just curious if it would be better to add a propane fridge.
    If you have solar, you should be good to go for a long boondocking run on that two-way refrigerator.  A portable generator is probably more useful “insurance” than installing a propane refrigerator.  We dry-camped last fall for 4 days with only nominal solar benefit, and left with around 75% battery.  I took a portable generator with us just in case since it was our first boondocking trip in the 400, but never unloaded it from the truck. ;)
  • Jax0913Jax0913 Member Posts: 64
    Thanks @TNOutback I was thinking the same thing. So far we haven't needed it so I will keep that in mind.
    2018 T@B 400
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I’d be curious as to the experience other T@B 400  owners are having with the 2-way frig in times of excessive heat.  My wife has not been happy with the temperature it maintains as we’ve had it on high and can only get it to cool to 40° f.  She has used multiple thermometers to keep tabs on the cooling efficiency too.  I know that the median range for refrigerators are about 35-37°.   I’m wondering if our frig is defective?  Any thoughts?  We left our ARB home as my truck was packed when I went west but we won’t make that mistake again.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    edited July 2020
    Our home refrig is 40F, which is fine for food..  We keep the TaB400 Refrig at 40F also.  The two-compressor fridge is also going to cool better than a three-way fridge in high heat situations.
    cheers
  • JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
    We set ours on 3.5 and it cools off very fast (about 2 hrs).  It will freeze things if we set it any lower.  We rented an airstream base camp before buying our 400 and the 3 way in it took a full 24 hours to cool down.
  • xdrxdr Member Posts: 259
    We used our 2-way from July 2-5 on our recent trip and the refrigerator was amazing. We started the day before and pre-cooled before we left. The first morning I noticed things beginning to freeze so turned it down to 5. Still too cold so we lowered it again and again until we were at 3. 
    For context, we were boondocking in the mountains. It got hot in the afternoon but cool at night. 
    xdr
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
    edited July 2020
    Have been mooch docking at my sisters over the past month. 2018 tab 400. Very hot lately. I have 370 W of solar on the roof and another 100 W portable panel. I also have 2 battle born 100 amp lithium batteries. 

Even though the temperature in the tab recently has been up to 90° As long as I get a few hours of sun every day the batteries charge completely. If it’s a cloudy day then it will hold the current charge during the day but drop about 10% overnight. 

I have been keeping my fridge set on one. The fridge temperature is about 48° which is plenty cold for me. There are ice cubes in the freezer at this setting as well. I see no reason to set it any colder than this. Beverages are  plenty cold at this temperature for me.
    Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.
    Refrigerator temp depends on what you have in it.  Dairy, meat and leftovers need to be around  38-40F to minimize spoilage.  Canned drinks, set the temp as you like.
    cheers
  • Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    I had replied in another thread regarding refrigerator performance, but the summary is basically this.

The 2 way (which is what we have in our 2020 400 BDL) is light years ahead of the other 3 RV's that I have owned (including a 2017 Tab 320S) that were equipped with a 3 way Absorption Refrigerator; even to the point that I would not buy another Absorption Refrigerator equipped RV. Even though it is smaller in Cubic Feet, I don't have to wonder if what I put in there is going to be okay or not, whether I am traveling or sitting still. With an Absorption Refrigerator the temperature varies so much with ambient temperature plus most of them aren't able to work while driving either because the movement interferes with the proper flow of the refrigerant in the system.

I also set it to 3 or just a touch higher, cold, nothing is frozen overnight, and it doesn't warm up while driving either. No need to mess around, no fans, no nothing. Just load it and go!

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC