Options

Window screen sticking on 400

Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
edited September 2021 in Trailer & Towing
Window screen on the large front window of our 400 is sticking and often difficult to close. Any advice on repairing this? Thanks
Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited May 2020
    Try a dry silicone spray lube, helped mine.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    X2 on the dry silicone spray.  I bought it at Walmart I believe as RV window spray. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    Michael49, are the string cables still all connected as should be? We had to take our front and galley windows apart to restring. Its not difficult. The one thing we told by others is to remove the fuzzy strip that prevents bugs from getting in, it messes with the string. Here is a link to the assembly of the shade. Good Luck

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/editor/oo/urf3kcgfw7q2.pdf
     20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
    edited May 2020
    jrhamel said:
    Michael49, are the string cables still all connected as should be? We had to take our front and galley windows apart to restring. Its not difficult. The one thing we told by others is to remove the fuzzy strip that prevents bugs from getting in, it messes with the string. Here is a link to the assembly of the shade. Good Luck

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/editor/oo/urf3kcgfw7q2.pdf
     It does seem to be sticking on that fuzzy material. I didn’t know I could remove that.  Do you have to remove the window assembly to remove the fuzzy strip? 
    Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    Michael49, I'm not sure if you have to take the window apart to remove fuzzy thing. You could try it. We had to take ours apart to restring.
     20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Michael49, I don't know if it will help, but here is a thread that discusses the window track fuzz, which is intended to keep out small insects, like mosquitos and no-see-ums.  Our 320 S front window has always been a little tight to move up and down, but it helps to open and close it with two hands, holding the shade framing about 1/4 way in from each side of the window.  Maybe try the silicone and try opening and closing it in this manner.  Also, look really close along the side tracks of the window frame to see if there is something (e.g., the string or fuzz) that is impeding the path of the shade.  Maybe there is something that just needs to be slightly adjusted or pushed aside.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6965/mosquito-fix-for-t-b-windows/p4
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    mjpalmermjpalmer Member Posts: 20
    Did you have to buy new string to redo your window?  If so, what and where did you buy it? Our white string broke on the stargazer window in the back for the privacy shade.  Thanks!!
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    Mine did the same on day-1. Nucamp replaced on warranty. New one much better, but not perfect. Thanks for tip on lube!
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    The kitchen window screen on our 400 has become stuck in the retracted position and will not pull down.  Any ideas?
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    I restrung my kitchen window also and here is what I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFJ2JYO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are several sizes and this seemed to work.  It looks about like the size that was previously used.

As far as moving the shades I agree with the recommendation to use two hands.  That does make it smoother and I also find it works better if I just move the screen and shade separately rather than hooked together, for what it's worth.

@TNOutback - it does sound like something is binding and could be an issue with the string.  I would recommend removing the entire screen and doing a good visual inspection.  There are four screws - one in each corner - and removing is very easy.  Just pop the little corner covers off and remove the screws.  Be careful not to drop any down the heat transfer slot under the window!  On mine the screws were #2 square drive I believe.

I could see on mine that the string wasn't riding on the end of the aluminum piece correctly where the string transitions from horizontal to vertical and was shredding.  It was also binding.  And if I didn't get it just right I still have about a mile of string to redo it again!
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Thanks for that link, @gspdx. On my last trip I had a sticking issue with my screen door which proved a precursor to the string breaking. I'll find out this winter if I can repair the door as others have repaired their windows.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Fixed.  It ended up being something very simple, but I couldn’t understand how the screen mechanism worked until I took it apart.  The center-left string was in bind and prevented the aluminum bar from being pulled down.  After disassembly, I realized the center-left string actually feeds to the right side of the window, and the black string was in a pinch-bind on the right end of the aluminum bar.  Once I released that pinch, the screen would pull down just fine.
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    TNOutback said:
    Fixed.  It ended up being something very simple, but I couldn’t understand how the screen mechanism worked until I took it apart.  The center-left string was in bind and prevented the aluminum bar from being pulled down.  After disassembly, I realized the center-left string actually feeds to the right side of the window, and the black string was in a pinch-bind on the right end of the aluminum bar.  Once I released that pinch, the screen would pull down just fine.
    Nice.  If there is one thing I could redesign on these windows it is where the strings ride on the end of the aluminum bar.  They could do a better job of having a channel for that string to ride in and transition from horizontal to vertical.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW