Options

New 2021 T@B 320S BD and first mod!

sptuckersptucker Member Posts: 42
Well, I've been lurking on this forum since last summer, and finally pulled the trigger on a 2021 320S Boondock!   We have not camped yet, but I think we are ready thanks in large part to the incredible folks on this site -- so thank you all!   I've got the hot water mixing valve dialed in and both the Jensen and Victron Bluetooth connections working.  Factory solar is doing a fantastic job keeping the battery charged, as far as I can tell.  I did find a Smart Shunt in stock online yesterday, so will get that wired up soon.  I also bought a Battleborn 100Ah lithium battery and a group 27 case, but am waiting to install it after a quick one-nighter this week.  The plan is to do multi-night boondock/dispersed-style camping here in Colorado first, then branching out to surrounding states.   I have a 440# tongue limit, so that also played into my decision to spend the $$ on this battery.

I do have a couple of common issues:  glass stove lid won't stay up, and bathroom door hits the ceiling.  Thanks to this forum, I noted these during my walkthrough and my dealer is working with NuCamp to solve these.  Will keep you posted.  Another problem I had right off the bat was a loose part banging around in the Thetford cassette tank.  It wound up being the waste level indicator float and takes only a minute to reinstall once you figure out how to get the thing open.  I encourage anyone who has one of these toilets to check YouTube for C403L disassembly/cleaning videos as they helped solve the problem.

I have the full-sized spare.  In the picture below, it's slung underneath but I have since moved it to the included mount on top.  I agree with others here that having it underneath is a bad idea; it sits too low and is at an angle.  It actually loosened up a bit on my way home from the dealer, so I really don't trust it underneath.  I sure hope the full-sized spare is worth it.

Onto my first mod: a hardwired EMS.  This is a better-safe-than-sorry investment for us, as we may wind up camping with electrical hookups from time to time and would rather not deal with a portable unit.  This was an easy install and took about an hour start to finish.  I think I need to secure the added 30A wire(s) a bit more, but the existing wires were not secured any more than the new ones.  Go figure.       

Anyway, I'm looking forward to contributing to the forum once I have something more to add...

Paul

2021 T@B 320S Boondock  |  2019 BMW X3 M40i

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    @sptucker, welcome, and congratulations on your trailer. Sounds like you dove right in and got modding! I was a lurker too for a year or so. IMHO you're in good company. Enjoy!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Welcome @sptucker!  Question as I just discovered that the full sized spare is optional:  how big of a difference is the standard spare considering the limited risk in ever needing it?  Do you plan on using the spare in your tire rotation?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM, I wonder the same thing.  Many spares are smaller than the tire they are replacing, and are safe as long as you only use them temporarily.   And I can’t remember the last time I had a flat tire, other than on a bicycle.
    I haven’t considered the rotation question, but I might as well include the spare...

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    welcome aboard, hope you enjoy your new trailer.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    First off, congrats to joining the community, we're new also. I'm wondering if for awhile as we work through the 2021 version birthing pains we put the year in the header for unique items? With our new one after sleeping head under the cabinets we felt more "in a hole" than we remember from our week rental of a 2017 model. Did the cabinets get deeper? We also cut the straps on the side cushions so we could sleep with 2 twins without pulling the sliders out and only the large foam, makes getting up in the night so much easier. Still have to deal with the table, we stuck it outside on the mount for the night, simpler, be nice when we work out an acceptable visor solution.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    I have opted to rotate my Boondock spare to keep the tread wear among the three tires consistent.  I rotated them during my last bearing re-pack and brake inspection.  I figure that the Rainier ST Apex tires I now have may not be readily available when I need to change out the tires in the future.  So far, they have been holding up very well.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    Welcome to the Tab family @sptucker! Sounds like you are ahead of the game and having fun. You may want to mention the loose spare to your dealer since they are the ones who install it before delivery to you. Have fun and we look forward to seeing your next mods and tales! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    SubieDooSubieDoo Member Posts: 18
    Where did you install the EMS? I can't tell from the pic.
    2021 320S BD
    TV: 2021 BMW X5 Drive 40i
  • Options
    JT4JT4 Member Posts: 42
    SubieDoo said:
    Where did you install the EMS? I can't tell from the pic.

I thought the same thing but after thinking about it I will guess it is under one of the seats, likely on the hookup side.  I intend to do the same. 
  • Options
    That was one of the things I looked at with the dealer was how tough the box would be to mount. Looks like a no-brainer under the driver side seat. After reading about how strongly this device is advocated and also that it has a problem with theft, I was surprised Nu-Camp just didn't just install it w/ the trailer, any of the big 3 seem similar enough to have put one in. I'm choosing the Hughes mainly for the BT (and I worked for Hughes Aircraft in the 70s :) )
  • Options
    It is under the driver's side seat, as you have surmised, just to the right of the WFCO, on the floor.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Good first mod!

I had onr installed.on my T@b before I took delivery of it. When I took delivery of it, I headed straight to a campground and within 2 days experienced sever storms which resulted in power flickering too any times to count. So glad I had nothing to worry about!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    BywaysNWBywaysNW Member Posts: 71
    edited June 2020
    Welcome!  Guess I'm not the junior 2021 320 Boonie guy any more.  Ours is a twin of yours. Did you get the fancy aluminum rear bumper that was in the promo materials? We didn't, and hope to get one from Nucamp. Wondering (1) if that's realistic, (2) whether we will be charged, and (3) how difficult it will be to install.
  • Options
    BywaysNW, that bumper has made me curious.  I have seen new 2021 BD versions with and without.  I have seen the build/order sheets and do not recall an option to select that.  From what I can tell it appears to be mostly if not completely cosmetic but I will say I do like it.  Do let us know what you find out. 
  • Options
    I don’t have the bumper.  I did my deal via phone and email with the dealer and assumed it would be included since it appears to be standard issue with the BD package.  My dealer is checking on it.  If it means more $$, I’ll skip it...

• Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 418
    sptucker, for all the reasons you list, the hardwired EMS was the first mod I made to our 2019 CS-S. Because of the way the wiring was done under our driver's seat, there was no room on the floor for it.  I ended up mounting it above the inverter/fuse box.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    I've been curious about the 2021 Boondock rear bumper too... I bought my T@B off the lot and was wondering if it was going to be on there or not - on pickup day, it wasn't.  I have one of the first 2021 production units (based on S/N) and I suspect it wasn't an option the dealer ordered it with. Perhaps they didn't have any at that time.  I'm not really interested in having it but am definitely curious what the official answer is.  
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    I neglected to say earlier that we were fortunate to have one on ours.  I like it even though it does not appear to have a real purpose.
  • Options
    Ours was shown standard on the order form and did come with the unit but looked unfinished and badly scratched, not like the front platform tubing's finish. The dealer agreed and is having NuCamp replace it. I weigh 180 lb and felt it was secure climbing up on the structure to access the Yakima rack. It doesn't look hard to install, it uses the rear handle mounts and 2 bolts each side underneath, those may be a problem if not there on yours. 
  • Options
    BywaysNWBywaysNW Member Posts: 71
    Thanks, everyone. Sounds like it would be handy when using the racks.
  • Options
    mrdeepfryguymrdeepfryguy Member Posts: 73
    Bought ours June 1 from Haydocy in Columbus, OH. None of their 320’s had the rear bumper cage. It appears that it is dealer ordered and they chose to forgo it. 
    2021 320 S Boondock / 2018 Toyota 4Runner / NE Ohio
  • Options
    mrdeepfryguy, I do not remember the rear cage being an individual option.  I have noticed it on some and not other units.  The NuCamp 2021 build/option sheet I have indicates that the rear cage was an included feature on Boondock units.  I don't recall ever seeing any 320 non-boondock units.  Has anyone seen any?  If so I can only think that possibly some were built without the cage possibly due to possibly not having it in stock at the moment.  I would be happy top share the build sheet.  I will try to post it here.
  • Options
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I’m curious.....how many watts for the solar panels?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    I’m curious.....how many watts for the solar panels?
    I am pretty sure that the 320 cones with 130w.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thank you, @jkjenn
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NJ_DaveNJ_Dave Member Posts: 4
    2021 T@B 320S now comes with 105W solar.  Not sure why the change.