Running solar cables through a/c vent past a/c down bathroom wall into bench below?

Hello,  has anyone run their solar cables through the a/c roof vent and down into the bench below for a solar installation?  If so, do you have pictures?  I read a comment that it could be done, but there is no further detail.
2014 Little Guy T@B S Max

Comments

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    edited June 2020
    @KarenK, yes, several people have done it and there are "how-to" postings, most have pics. You need to access the search function in the upper right hand corner of your screen, or look up the proper google search. Many resident experts here can help with that.

2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @dragonsdofly, sorry, the 2014 T@B S Max does have an A/C “stack”, a black PVC pipe with a lid to help with the A/C. The black tank exhaust is on the driver’s side and is a small “half round” exhaust vent. 

Yes, the solar cables can exit the black roof A/C roof vent. There is also a newer connector that could also be used on the roof. In fact, nüCamp uses this connector for their flexible solar panels’ wiring. 

@KarenK Do a search for A/C roof vent. Someone did perform a solar install taking the wiring down through the A/C roof vent. You may have to look back to the 2014/15 years of posts to find how some of the owners connected their external solar panels. I also know @Dalehelman Used the roof top A/C vent pipe to run his antenna wiring to his TV.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • KarenKKarenK Member Posts: 50
    Thank you Verna - I knew I could count on you!  Dale has done everything!  I already contacted him about my black and gray pipe conversion.  I should have figured he'd be the one to help with this question as well!  I have checked through multiple solar installs on this site and although mention had been made of running the cables through the vent pipe, I couldn't find any picture of it having been actually carried out. I will check out what Dale has done with his antenna wiring.
    2014 Little Guy T@B S Max
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Verna said:
    @dragonsdofly, sorry, the 2014 T@B S Max does have an A/C “stack”, a black PVC pipe with a lid to help with the A/C. The black tank exhaust is on the driver’s side and is a small “half round” exhaust vent. 

Yes, the solar cables can exit the black roof A/C roof vent. There is also a newer connector that could also be used on the roof. In fact, nüCamp uses this connector for their flexible solar panels’ wiring. 

@KarenK Do a search for A/C roof vent. Someone did perform a solar install taking the wiring down through the A/C roof vent. You may have to look back to the 2014/15 years of posts to find how some of the owners connected their external solar panels. I also know @Dalehelman Used the roof top A/C vent pipe to run his antenna wiring to his TV.
    I did not run my TV antenna down through the vent. I actually drilled a hole in the roof. The vent has a fan mounted in the bottom. You may be able to sneak the wires past the fan. You will need to remove the AC in order to access the fan.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Sorry, @Dalehelman. I guess many of the memories from 5 years ago can become clouded!  Thanks for the clarification. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7712/2019-factory-solar-package-questions-factory-install-on-320-cs-s/p2

I knew I had seen a discussion with the wiring in the roof pipe. BUT, it evidently was just a suggestion. And there seems to be confusion as to whether the pipe is sewer or A/C. 

So, it hasn’t been done and reported on the forum, and I trust @Dalehelman that there is a fan on the bottom side of the pipe. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited June 2020
    As Dalehelman says, one could unscrew the fan from the horizontal support the vent ends at and add a circular sleeve (maybe wood) to pull out the solar panel wiring.  Or just simply drill a couple holes through the side of the vent and the horizontal support and thread the wires through (after temporarily removing fan so you can grab the wires).  As you can see, fan diameter is much larger than vent diameter, at least on my year's model.

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    edited June 2020
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    With the OEM Solar system, the battery is being charged I take it. Is there risk of overcharging?
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
    I guess I am worried about the float charge...battery is reading well over 13.4

Solar won’t over charge.  There was a recent history of someone with a bad converter that ran with a higher voltage than necessary.  Are you plugged into shorepower?  How are you measuring your battery charge?  What kind of battery do you have? What are the battery requirements?
    Interstate 12v., OEM, Not shorepower, Victron app...
    and thank you.
    Some good info:

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_the_lead_acid_battery

@trimtab, I don’t think you should worry.  The charge controller may read high compared to a shunted battery monitor and a rested battery.  Try to find your battery specs - I couldn’t find them just now online.  Lead acid are more tolerant of higher charge voltages than sealed batteries.  Higher temperatures will effect duration, but I don’t know anyone who is trying to keep their batteries cool.  Keep an eye on your battery water levels.  

AND - just ask @jkjenn and company, unless you kill your first battery, you’re not part of the club ;)

Seriously, I think you are fine and your solar is performing well!
     ;)