Standing water in fridge?

TONS of condensation every time I use my 3-way fridge (weekend warrior).  I now keep a squishy bucket inside to catch the water and still have standing water after 2 days.  I'm using it on electric setting and I am level. It's not a terrific fridge but things do feel like they're cold after a while.  Is this normal or what you all are experiencing? 
Kelly G
2018 T@B 320 S   TV: 2020 Kia Telluride
(T@B is New to me as of 8/30/2019)
Bloomington, IL

Comments

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    Yes, condensation is normal. I use bins on bottom shelf to keep items from moving while traveling and they collect some of it, every few days dump out bin water and wipe-up bottom shelf.
    Suggest you purchase a small battery powered Fridge thermometer so you can monitor temperature.  I frequently turn Fridge off at night to prevent freezing - -  dislike ice in my morning cereal with milk.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    This is how we handle frig. Condensation. If you in an area of hi humidity you will experience more water collection. We use a paper towel to absorb and control it. I cut the tray from a plastic cutlery tray from Walmart.

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • KellyGKellyG Member Posts: 9
    Yes, condensation is normal. I use bins on bottom shelf to keep items from moving while traveling and they collect some of it, every few days dump out bin water and wipe-up bottom shelf.
    Suggest you purchase a small battery powered Fridge thermometer so you can monitor temperature.  I frequently turn Fridge off at night to prevent freezing - -  dislike ice in my morning cereal with milk.
    Definitely never get that cold.  And after this weekend, I added fridge thermometer to my T@B packing list.  I want to be sure I don't kill myself with Chicken or Mayo!  

Kelly G
    Bloomington, IL
    This is how we handle frig. Condensation. If you in an area of hi humidity you will experience more water collection. We use a paper towel to absorb and control it. I cut the tray from a plastic cutlery tray from Walmart.

You are a craftsman!  I'm definitely using your solution as my squishy bucket is not ideal.
    Kelly G
    Bloomington, IL
  • GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    We get that too. A lot depends on humidity 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • JackalopeNomadJackalopeNomad Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2020
    Yes, we get the same issue too.  We ended up getting these, they have worked well to absorb the water on the bottom of the fridge, every couple days, we change it out and let the wet one dry.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENYLK70/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409

With this drip tray water never gets to the bottom. We also put small items in it like yogurt. The water drips directly off of the aluminum fins above so everything else stays dry.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • CRETBOCRETBO Member Posts: 25
         Camped for 4 days in 90F weather .... fridge was awesome as kept everything super cold ... I layed a towel on the bottom and it was wet when i went home but was worth it as kept milk(for bowl of cereal) super cold ... once at camp ground turned it off high to medium  and it was perfect.  Coming from a tent over the years ... wow, so nice to have a fridge!! 
    2005 T@B Dutchman
    2019 Tacoma
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    KellyG said:
    Definitely never get that cold.  And after this weekend, I added fridge thermometer to my T@B packing list.  I want to be sure I don't kill myself with Chicken or Mayo!  

How full was your fridge? I noticed it seemed to stay cooler the fuller the fridge was.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2020
    Are you pre-cooling the fridge before your trips? 12 hours or so helps

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • CRETBOCRETBO Member Posts: 25
    Also fill a Gatorade 32 oz bottle with water and freeze it during the week and put it in when i turn on Fridge night before camping.   My fridge the last two times i went had watermelon cut up in big container and milk and meat and fixins, salad, tunafish pre-made for sandwiches.  and water bottles for tightness of packing.  Also have a cooler for all our beverages.   Got to say ... fridge has exceeded my expectations!   but once it is cold ... turn it to medium setting.
    2005 T@B Dutchman
    2019 Tacoma
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @CRETBO - what frig do you have in your 2005?  Is it the original?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    ChanW said:
    Are you pre-cooling the fridge before your trips? 12 hours or so helps

Unfortunately, I keep my T@B at a permanent site about 40 minutes from my house so I don't turn on the fridge till I get there.  This time, I began cooling it at about 1:30 pm on a Saturday at 90 degrees and the coldest it got 8 hours later was about 55-60 degrees with some cooler inserts in it.  After 24 hours, it had made it down to 45 degrees.  For weekends, the fridge really isn't safe for most things.  I bought a good cooler to try to help with that.
    Kelly G
    Bloomington, IL