Options

How to fish a phone from behind the rear shelf?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
Well, mishap #1 with my new T@b happened tonight. I accidentally dropped my phone from behind the rear shelf. Any idea how to remove that piece so I can fish it out?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @jkjenn, I'm not sure if this will help, but I saved the below link just in case something like this happened.  Maybe it will be of some assistance.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/129049#Comment_129049
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Bayliss said:
    @jkjenn, I'm not sure if this will help, but I saved the below link just in case something like this happened.  Maybe it will be of some assistance.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/129049#Comment_129049
    Awesome - thank you! I knew I wasn't the first person and was having difficulty finding the thread. Now, to find a a right angle #2 screwdriver?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Long nose pliers or gas pliers and a bit set from a drill. 

Actually, I keep an inexpensive tiny ratchet set that has the bits with it. Harbor Freight special. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Long nose pliers or gas pliers and a bit set from a drill. 

Actually, I keep an inexpensive tiny ratchet set that has the bits with it. Harbor Freight special. 
    Thanks, @Verna - I usually travel with the driver bits but don't have them with me this time. I should be able to find a mini rachet set nearby - maybe Lehman's? 

• Options
    @jkjenn, I can’t remember Lehman’s tools, but an Ace Hardware or TruValue should have it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Phone has been successfully retrieved!

I wrnt to Lowes in New Philadelphoa and got a right angle attachment for my drill. I set the shelf back in place but will screw it all back together after work.

Thanks @Bayliss and @Verna for your assistance!

• Options
    edited August 2020
    @jkjenn, if you have any additional tips to share and/or can photos of how everything looks when the rear shelf is removed, that would be helpful for future reference.  I am glad to hear that you were able to recover your phone.

ADDITIONAL INFO ADDED 08-20-2020:  Regarding removal of the rear shelf on a 2018 320 S, see this post by @BogieMeister (includes photos):

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11631/wireless-rear-view-camera-on-a-320-s#latest
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    A couple of tips:

1.  You need a #2 square bit with some type of right angle driver. I used a Dewalt right angle drill attachment. 

2. Lift the bin straight up, following the curve of the roof and then put to remove.

3. It's a super tight fit to get it in. Be patient and reverse what you did to remove it.

4. Once the bins are put, it is very easy to grab the phone.

I am now thinking about what kind of foam wedge I can slide into that slot to prevent a future heartache. 

• Options
    @jkjenn, Mandy Lea showed how Kendrick cut a black plastic gutter guard to fit the heating slots in their 400. I think that would be a great material to use for those slots that are probably part of the ventilation for the Alde. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    @jkjenn unless it's changed with this model, the Alde heat radiates up along the back wall in that space so you might not want to block it with foam.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    dsfdogs said:
    @jkjenn unless it's changed with this model, the Alde heat radiates up along the back wall in that space so you might not want to block it with foam.
    Yeah, that is what John from nuCamp mentioned. I think someone said Kendrick used gutter guard. That might work.

• Options
    mrdeepfryguymrdeepfryguy Member Posts: 73
    I’m a newbie with the same T@b that you have. Read your post ... I  almost lost my iPod down the back on maiden voyage.  I am going to try getting a long dowell rod ... probably 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch width and see if it will rest  on that ledge/edge and stop items from falling down. Not planning on doing any cold weather camping this year, but if we do, will just pull the dowell and put in TV so the Alde heated air can circulate. Will let you know if it works.
    2021 320 S Boondock / 2018 Toyota 4Runner / NE Ohio
  • Options
    mikedec5to14mikedec5to14 Member Posts: 6
    I'm also a newbie but this thread concerned me so I tried to design a solution.  I liked the idea of using gutter guard but foresaw a couple of problems.  First, plastic might bend defeating the purpose.  Second, metal might have sharp edges that would cause problems.  Third, it might be difficult to secure to the ledge because of the sloping roof.  I believe I have come up with a viable solution.  I went to Lowes and bought 2 3' sections of black "Metal lock-in gutterguard" (#502138) - see first picture.  The metal is basically flat but has a Z shape along one edge- see second picture.  Both outer edges of the guard are smooth (this is the key detail!).  I cut approximately 3/4 inch from the curved edge of the Z along the length of the metal using common household scissors.  This was a bit tedious because I could only cut one or two metal strands at a time but it worked smoothly.  The cut edge is, of course, a sharp edge but the other two edges of the Z are smooth (the curve and the finished edge) - see the third picture.  Now I took the trimmed Z and turned it upside down so that the smooth edge is on the bottom facing toward the living space, the curved edge is upward facing toward the living space, and the rough edge is facing downwards against the back wall.  I secured it to the top edge of the back shelf with a small (Arrow J21) staple gun (A full size gun was too big!).  The result, shown in the fourth picture, leaves only smooth edges that can be touched, ensures nothing will fall into the gap, and allows air to circulate.  Total cost about $7. 
  • Options
    Nice fix, @MikeSchwartz.  Thank you for the write-up and photos.

• Options
    Awesome, thanks for sharing!

• Options
    mikedec5to14mikedec5to14 Member Posts: 6
    Its my pleasure.  Hopefully it will help save someone else the trouble!  Mike (founder and sole member of PEELIT: Preventors of Electronic Equipment Lost in T@Bs)
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    😂 
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    trevortrevor Member Posts: 1
    We lost a computer tablet down the gap of a 2021 TAB320. It was lodged between the finned heating radiator and the sloping back wall.  We could feel it using our fingers from underneath the finned radiator, having removed the cushions.  We were able very easily to slide it to the left using a thin implement inserted from underneath and behind the finned radiator - a table fork worked well - and retrieve it from the gap at the left end.  Took only minutes and saved us dismantling and reinstalling the woodwork!