Wireless Rear View Camera on a 320 S

BogieMeisterBogieMeister Member Posts: 114
edited August 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
Awhile back I purchased a rear view camera, and anguished over where to mount the camera and how to run the wiring.  It turned out to be pretty simple.  First I removed the rear seat back and the lid to the rear storage compartment. Next I removed the left and right triangle shaped pieces exposing the glycol tank.  I found that by removing 7 screws (2 on each end & 3 across forward side) the whole storage compartment will lift out.  Once it is out you will have direct access to the power cord going to the license plate light. From the outside I drilled a hole behind the license plate light and ran the camera cord through the hole. A bit of caulk sealed the hole. My particular camera mounted directly on the license plate. Back on the inside I had a decision to make. Did I want the camera to only operate when the reverse lights were on, or only when the running lights were on, or constantly. Being as how my primary use is to use the camera as a rear view mirror I opted for constantly. So, I spliced into the wire feeding the 12v outlet under the reading light on the drivers side. Otherwise I could have spliced into the running lights, (the wiring is in the same compartment) or ran an additional wire to the 7 way plug for reverse.  I mounted the transmitter under the 110v outlet on the passenger side which give almost a clear line of sight through the camper to the receiver in the TV. Overall I very happy with the install and it works great.

Gerri (Gary) Ewing
Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

Comments

• BogieMeisterBogieMeister Member Posts: 114
    The photo reminds me that I need to put my 2021 sticker on the license plate before my next outing.
    Gerri (Gary) Ewing

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Nice work, @BogieMeister.  A nice, clean installation.  The photos are very much appreciated.  They are the first ones I have seen of the rear shelf removed.  I hope you don't mind, but I added a link for your post, to a separate discussion thread on how to remove that compartment.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11186/how-to-fish-a-phone-from-behind-the-rear-shelf#latest )
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• ckjsckjs Member Posts: 64
    Nice, @BogieMeister: which camera did you get? What is the picture like? I’d like to add an observation camera to my CSS
    Charles & Judy, Santa Cruz, CA
    2018 T@B 320 CS-S; Alde 3020; 4 cyl 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
  • MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    Nice install, I took the easy route and used the license plate light wires to power the camera. The wiring was easy and since my camera required the removal of the light anyways wasn't a big deal. I like the clean camera - what one is it?  Good to know about access back there but I've a 2021 so it may be different.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    The photo reminds me that I need to put my 2021 sticker on the license plate before my next outing.
    Ugh, thanks for the reminder. Mine wasn’t on there either, but it is now!

Great installation, and good to know that compartment was relatively easy to remove.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    I have a Garmin 2639 GPS. The camera is an accessory for that model. With a touch to  the screen I can switch from Map View to Rear Camera. The picture is clear and a Wide angle. With the camera mounted at the top of the license plate, under the protection of the T@B shell, the lens stays out of the weather, but I loose a bit of the upper part of of the view. But I have no desire to see the sky anyhow.
    Gerri (Gary) Ewing

• DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Very nice setup.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    I I found this WiFi IOS/Android backup camera set up, looks nice. 
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    edited August 2020
    Does the Garmin backup camera have any lights, or are the T@B tail lights more than bright enough?

• SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    I bought a license plate frame backup cam I’m really happy with. No wires needed. Can be charged with USB but also has small solar panels to charge as you go. The separate monitor plugs into the 12v in car and connects via Bluetooth to the cam. Easy peasy. Pic on left shows the camera view as I’m backing my 320 S into my storage unit.

2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
    edited August 2020
    And here we thought BogieMeister was late on his trailer tags...      =)
    ... which reminds me, I need to get my tags next week...

• Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    @SubaruLou where did u get tge backup camera or what make, model?

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Rodent77 -  see my note above
    Gerri (Gary) Ewing

@Rodent77, I bought it at Costco. Looks like it’s $40 off right now and might be a few dollars lower in warehouse. Here’s a screenshot of the make & model:

• Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    Thanks all, living up North so price is higher at this time.... @BogieMeister saw yours as well...Can get it at Amazon.ca for 169. and I believe it is still compatible with my Garmin....thanks everyone.

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

• rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 178
    i got the same one. I want a rear view mirror camera - not just for use when backing up. I don't know if there is something wrong with mine it only stays on for about a minute unless I wave my hand by the screen. Does yours stay on all the time?

2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
    Are you asking Bogiemeister or SubaruLou?
    Gerri (Gary) Ewing

@rcarlson1957, if you are referring to the Costco cam, I know there is a setting for how long the screen stays active. Mine was originally set really short, like 15-20 seconds. Lord knows I need way more time to back up! I am not sure if there is a “never” sleep option. Seems like that might run the battery in the license plate frame much faster than the solar could charge it.
  • MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    I called the distributor/tech support for the Costco backup camera. This is no ON all the time setting. I got so frustrated wanting to check traffic in back and needing to wave my hand at the monitor I returned it. I thought the wide display and solar powered wireless camera was awesome however. It wasn't clear to the service person why there wasn't a ON all the time setting but claimed the solar camera was the problem. Though it didn't make a lot of sense to me.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
    MARKAI I ran into same thing. So going to try and install the Garmin BCM30 wireless camera off my Garmin GPS this weekend. It's only wireless from transmitter attached to camera to the receiver in the TV. If run it to a constant power source (I'm thinking license plate light) you can toggle between Garmin GPS screen and Camera screen by either pushing the camera button or use voice command (I like that) an it is supposed to stay on. My problem is the wiring. Need a place to put the transmitter, in line fuse and wiring. Time to figure it out I guess.
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Bogiemeister - Great idea and pics. I have the same exact camera. I got back shelf unit removed and getting ready to drill hole out for camera and for mounting transmitter. I'm curious where you located the inline fuse for the camera/transmitter unit. I'm thinking if the fuse blows I want access to it if I have to replace it. Did you just put in the space behind the 110 outlet? I'm thinking the likelihood of it blowing is probably low so I could just undo the two screws on the passenger side corner piece to get to the fuse. Is that what you did or did you have a better way? Thanks!
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)