Dry flush toilet “mod” for a t@b?

Hi folks! I’ve heard of some folks using dry flush toilet bags in their t@b, and as a total n00b who doesn’t even have a t@b yet, I’m a bit confused.
1. Are those folks just lining the standard cassette toilet with a dry flush bag?
2. Wouldn’t the bottom of the bag get wet?
3. I’m also not sure how folks seal dry flush bags. It, uh, doesn’t seem like a bread bag twist tie situation hahaha :)
4. Where do people put the sealed bag until they’re near a dumpster?! I’m imagining a cooler with a giant message in sharpie: “poop! No seriously! Human waste! Do not put food in here! Don’t even think about it! I am not kidding! Actual #2!”

Thanks for your patience and for your understanding; bit embarrassing that my first post is about something so, erm, biological. Your forbearance and knowledge are much appreciated!

Comments

• Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    When I want to keep the black tank clean at the end of a trip, or when I'm running out of room in the tank, I either use a Walmart brand toilet bag or if I can't find those, a commode liner like you'd find in a nursing home. They don't fit the toilet really well (too bad there aren't bags made for the specific toilets in our campers), but they will do. The Walmart ones have some kind of gel powder in them that controls liquid and odor, and a double ziplock closure. The commode bags are just bags with a drawstring. In either case, you can seal them well enough to put in your camper's household trash until you can get rid of them. I've never had to do this for longer than a couple of days, so my system obviously wouldn't work as well on a long boondocking trip in the wilds. 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @Lemoi - not sure how the cassette toilets will factor into this option as this is used with standard RV toilets.
    It is often used during winter travel when you can’t have water in the TaB.  If there is a little water or antifreeze kept in the toilet bowl (to keep the rubber seals from drying out), you just line the bowl under the seat with a large trash bag to keep the second bag dry.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    I think this trick is probably less necessary with the cassette toilet, since the cassette tank is fully enclosed within the trailer and therefore somewhat better insulated from the cold. That’s one major advantage of the cassette over those of us with black tanks.

in addition to Sharon’s comment above, I’ve seen it suggested that you set a large lid from a yogurt or cottage cheese type container over the gate valve in the toilet to keep the bags out of any antifreeze in the bowl. Bags should hold either superabsorbent gel powder or kitty litter/pine pellets. After use, tie the bags off tightly. Some commercial potty bags come with a ziploc as an extra outer protection.

If I were planning the kind of boondocking trip where this was necessary, I’d definitely have a sealable container handy to hold bags that were ready for disposal until I reached a trash can. It’s no different than handling disposable baby diapers, really.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited September 2020
    On the TaB 400, not sure about the 320s, the black tank is inside the trailer washroom, the toilet sits on top of it, and includes the raised bit under the sink area.  So as long as the cabin is heated, the black tank is not going to freeze.  That said, the gate valve and outflow tube is below the trailer, and could freeze.  This is the area that needs the anti-freeze.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Re the gate valve: that skinny little area that the 'gate' retracts into, when you open the valve, is especially vulnerable to freezing. BTDT!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    I appreciate this discussion as I hope to use my new-to-me 2018 T@B into the winter (yay for Alde heat!).  I have been trying to think how to address the toilet issue, as I see there is some liquid in the toilet (the sellers had winterized the trailer).  I was thinking of putting a plastic bag in the toilet and using Cleanwaste's "Poo Powder" (https://www.amazon.com/Cleanwaste-Mini-Powder-Waste-Treatment/dp/B002AEHYP8).  Looks like a double-bag will do the trick.

QUESTION:  the liquid in the toilet looks clear, shouldn't it be pink or something if the sellers put antifreeze in it?
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

There are different ways to winterize - either pumping antifreeze throughout the plumbing in which case you should see some pink stuff in the bowl, or blowing out the lines then adding antifreeze to the p traps and waste tank valves.  Most would also top off the toilet flush flap with antifreeze, too.  I suppose it is possible that they just did not top off the toilet bowl with AF.  Can you ask the seller specifically how they winterized?  Did they bypass the Alde?  Did they use the fresh water tank?  This will also help you know how to dewinterize in the spring.
    @Sharon_is_SAM when we texted about it, they said:  "We didn't put antifreeze in the fresh water tank.  It went into the shower drain, the sink drain, and the toilet."

• Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    I am so glad someone asked this question. This is a very awkward topic to discuss but I might as well go for it.  I solo camp and have not used the black tank since I bought my T@B last fall. I use the RR if one is available and the disposable bags if there isn’t a facility. I remember reading early on that you should be sure to get your black tank to a certain level so that it will empty as designed. I never felt like I was using it enough to to get to that level. I sure would like to be able to stop buying those expensive poo powder bags but don’t carry enough extra water to get the tank 2/3’s full. Is it accurate that the tank needs to be 2/3’s full to ensure proper drainage? Perhaps I got some some misinformation. 
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
    Clueless about everything electronic
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    I have a Luggable Loo glorified bucket toilet from my tent camping days that we carry along with the double bag liners. Way easier than trying to line the small, shallow bowl in the 320. The only downside is that anyone else has to wait outside the camper. :/
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
    Kr@cken said:
    I am so glad someone asked this question. This is a very awkward topic to discuss but I might as well go for it.  I solo camp and have not used the black tank since I bought my T@B last fall. I use the RR if one is available and the disposable bags if there isn’t a facility. I remember reading early on that you should be sure to get your black tank to a certain level so that it will empty as designed. I never felt like I was using it enough to to get to that level. I sure would like to be able to stop buying those expensive poo powder bags but don’t carry enough extra water to get the tank 2/3’s full. Is it accurate that the tank needs to be 2/3’s full to ensure proper drainage? Perhaps I got some some misinformation. 
    It’s best to dump at a fairly full level, but not absolutely mandatory as long as the contents have broken down (use Happy Campers powder for that!) and you’ve been flushing with adequate water. You’ll still need water to rinse either way though. There’s generally a water supply at every dump station; if you can’t or don’t want to run a hose from there into the bathroom to add water via the toilet, you can always use a bucket or collapsible water container to do so manually. Just label the container as non potable as those water sources are not always the cleanest.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    @PNWtabber - so, it sounds like they just put AF down into the black tank to coat the gate valve.  If you intend to line the toilet with a garbage bag, just release the water into the black tank (maybe follow it up with more antifreeze in the tank) then line your bowl.  I would top the bowl up with AF in between winter trips - just to keep the rubber parts from drying out.
    @Kracken - the purpose of filling the black tank to at least 2/3 full is to prevent stacking of solids and to provide enough flow when emptying.  I would just add water as VictoriaP mentioned.  Add some Happy Camper to eliminate odor and Calgon to prevent sticking of contents to the sides of the tank.  Some owners do not put paper down the tank.  
    @Sharon_is_SAM -- thanks (again!!).  I have read so many comments about frozen gate valves, and the need to winterize them, I was wondering how that is accomplished.  So, as long as you put some antifreeze down the toilet it works its way to the black gate valve?  And antifreeze down the shower and sink would get to the gray gate valve?

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Also when using the black tank in normal weather, adding Happy Camper breaks down the solid waste, so adding an initial 1/3 (1-gal) or so of water in the tank is more than enough to prevent dumping issues.  You will, add the rest fluid when using the toilet in normal use.  The black tank flush wash connection will aid in rinsing the tank out after dumping it.  You could also put some of yiur gray water in a bucket and add thst to the tank to get more fluid in it before dumping, if needed.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @PNWtabber, it seems that someone kept a spray bottle of the pink RV antifreeze handy and it was used to spray the gate valves. It seems like a good idea to keep on hand. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    @PNWtabber - start with empty tanks, keep the gate valves closed and the outlet cap in place.  Add some AF down the toilet,  sink and shower, then quickly open and close the black tank valve then the gray tank valve.  Now, if you put enough AF down, there will be AF on both sides of the gate valves.  Just remember to have a bucket under the waste outlet when you remove the cap to dump as AF will pour out😁
    New but related question.  Using the trailer in the winter after it is winterized.  If I am camping in an area with no risk of freezing, but I don't want to completely de-winterize the trailer, can I use a bucket of water to flush the toilet, and then, after draining the holding tank, just add antifreeze back into the toilet?  I'm not sure if that is more work or less than just using the bag techniques already discussed.  Whoever expected to think so much about these things!!   :D

PNWtabber said:
    New but related question.  Using the trailer in the winter after it is winterized.  If I am camping in an area with no risk of freezing, but I don't want to completely de-winterize the trailer, can I use a bucket of water to flush the toilet, and then, after draining the holding tank, just add antifreeze back into the toilet?  I'm not sure if that is more work or less than just using the bag techniques already discussed.  Whoever expected to think so much about these things!!   :D
    It should be fine, assuming a) it really doesn’t freeze, b) you remember to dump and clean out the tank again (keep in mind, you’ll need to get enough water in there via some method to rinse thoroughly!), and c) you remember to work antifreeze back into the gate valve after dumping. Personally? If I were going to take the trailer out now with antifreeze in the pipes, I’d go with the bag & litter method. It’s less work. But it’s certainly doable to just use jugs of water with the toilet.

That said, this is also why so many in milder climates just do a blowout and antifreeze in the drains. It lets you refill the fresh tank whenever the weather allows for off-season camping. Then just use the remainder of the fresh water to rinse after dumping, and blow out again once you’re home.

You’re not the only newcomer wrestling with the best way to handle this, I’ve been coaching a friend on the other side of the country through winterizing her new-to-her RV this week. She asked pretty much the same thing. 😁
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Thanks, @VictoriaP.

• YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    Just out for a few days and first- time tried the toilet liner bags with absorbent pad to see if it'll work for us this winter.   Couldn't have been easier,  and I sure didn't miss having to figure out where to flush my tank. We used a screw top air tight bucket for our "diaper pail". Easy as can be to throw away at intervals. 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    While out for a few day in our 2021CS-S..I lined the cassette toilet bowl with a face cloth and had found an older enamel bowl that almost fit perfectly...placed a plastic bag inside the enamel bowl and then kitty litter..worked great and lived not walking to the vault toilet in 28*F temps...brrrr...tossed the next morning in the trash!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada