Options

Grills, Griddles and Stoves Compatible with the Quick Connect Propane Port on 2021 T@Bs

2»

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    @ontheroad I think most all Weber Q grills have replaceable regulators. At least, Weber sells regulators sized for most models as spare parts, so they must be removable.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    I have no idea how the adaptors discussed above connect up, but I have definitely removed and reattached the regulator on my Q100.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @VictoriaP..odd that they would tell it's not removable at a weber a salesroom...back to the drawing board..thanks all!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    ontheroad said:
    @VictoriaP..odd that they would tell it's not removable at a weber a salesroom...back to the drawing board..thanks all!
    As with cars and RVs...not every salesman actually knows what they’re talking about. My personal favorite experience on that score was the one who tried to insist a front wheel drive car was all wheel drive. 🙄 (Obviously, no sale after that conversation!)

Weber is a good quality brand that seems to understand that parts do wear out and SHOULD be replaceable. There’s not a lot on a Q that can’t be rebuilt or replaced. I’ve done a fair bit of cleanup on my very old Q100, and all replaced parts were OEM.

As far as the original question, another basic butane catering burner user here. A good friend who still tent camps raves about his Camp Chef Everest though. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    TomInPlymouthTomInPlymouth Member Posts: 22
    I have been reading these threads and looking at the recommended grills.  Quite a good list.  We're going with a gas grill since some Nat parks esp don't allow charcoal or open fire. We'd like to attach it to our 2021 T@B 400 with the low pressure quick connect.

I've contacted Cuisinart about their Grillster and their Petit Gourmet Gas Grill.  Then also the NexGrill 820-0033 (Home Depot).  Both manufacturers tell me they do not provide direct connect hoses and will not even answer the question "does your regulator attach to the grill with a standard 3/8 female flare."  I'm wondering if ALL grills have a screw off regulator hose or if some of you cut the hose and put fittings on yourself.

If your grill was a snap--screw off the regulator hose, screw on the quick connect hose, please let me know.  If you made your own connection, that'd be very helpful too.  I'd especially like to know about the Cuisinart or NexGrill products.  
    Thank you!
    Tom
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited April 2021
    Are some of us talking at cross-purposes when it comes to removing the LP gas regulator? On most of my LP devices, the regulator is crimped on to the hose, like in this photo:
    So in this case, the regulator is essentially not removable (you can in theory cut the hose and crimp or clamp on a nipple with threaded end).
    Alternatively, you should be able to connect to the low-pressure line on the T@B using a hose with the appropriate connectors at each end. At the camper end for our T@b's, you'd need the right QD, and at the device end, the proper sized female flared fitting like this one that connects to my fire pit (5/8" NPT):

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    @CharlieRN   If you can’t remove the grill regulator, the LPG flow will be insufficient.  It is not just a matter of connecting with a hose.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Hi Charlie and Sharon,
    I'll try this again. 
    • All of the stoves we've looked at have a gas hose and Regulator connected to the grill.  
    • I want to remove that hose (and regulator) and replace it with a quick connect hose to attach to the RV gas line at the back of the T@B 400. 
    • This should work because the RV gas line is already regulated to low pressure. 
    • But each of the manufacturers of the grills we are interested said "no, we don't provide that sort of connection" I'm looking to see if any camping gas grill has a hose that can be unscrewed.  (maybe they all do?)  
    • If there is one (or perhaps they all do) I can then match the fitting with a quick connect hose.
    Does this make more sense this time around?  If not, I'll just order one and open the box and take a look.  That didn't quite seem like the thing to do.
    Thanks,
    Tom
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    edited April 2021
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    We really like our Weber Q1000.  We got the optional half griddle grate.  We’ve had the regular Weber gas grill for years.  Totally impressed.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,291
    edited April 2021
    @CharlieRN ... Not sure if this is helpful, but my Blackstone Griddle has a regulator attached to the fitting for a small propane cylinder pictured in the upper left of the photo. The screw on attachment at the griddle is the same as the ones found on most of the camp stoves and other devices. I purchased a right angle connection that fits these types of appliances. I also picked up a hose with a compatible quick disconnect. I still have to add a female connection after the nuCamp regulator to use the griddle with my T@B's propane tank.

Edit to add that I also cobbled together this so that I could hook the griddle to a non-regulated 20 lb tank.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited April 2021
    @AnOldUR Thanks - Looks like I did a poor job of communicating in my post though.
    What I was trying to say is that many gas devices (like my fire pit) don't come with regulators that use NPT fittings (like the one in your post that you've added a ball valve and female QD to). When they're crimped on as many are (like in the photo in my post), you can't really remove them, but you should be able to disconnect the entire hose at the device (as in my second photo.) The regulator is not needed anyway, because there is already one in T@B gas line, and the gas at the outlet is low pressure.
    This will allow you to replace the device gas run using a hose with threaded connections at each end to attach to both the low-pressure external LPG port of the T@B and your device. Your photo of a gas hose shows a nice generic connection that you can customize with the appropriate fittings. If I were to use it for my fire pit, I would need only to get the appropriate fittings that terminated in a 5/8" female flared connector at the device end - it already has a male QD that will mate with the T@B's QD.
    The larger point is that you ought to be able to do this for many - probably most - gas devices. So if salespeople are telling folks that they can't disconnect the regulator, that may technically be true, but you should still be able to do what's described above.
    Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread, but hopefully someone will find the alternative dialog helpful. And with respect to the OP's topic, I'm very partial to Weber, and will probably wind up with a Q1000 for our T@B. We've had a Weber NG grill for years. That the company offers replacement parts for almost everything on their grills, allowing you repair as needed, is pretty impressive these days.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    Thanks for the help.  I shied away from a coleman that had a very small screw on fitting for a small bottle right flush with the grill body.  I'll stick with Weber Q (clearly the easiest with a quick connect hose as an accessory) or the Cuisinart Petit Gourmet where I can "roll my own."  Thanks again!  Tom
  • Options
    OK, we purchased a Cuisinart Petit Gourmet 1-burner.  I figured I'd remove the regulator and find fittings to make it work off of our low-pressure quick connect on the RV.  That regulator was seriously attached...it wasn't coming off.  So I cut my losses and returned it.  Not what I was looking to do. 

We then sucked it up and bought the Weber Q1000, looking to do the same thing.  It's regulator was integrated with the spark starter and also NOT coming off.  I called Weber and was told that it was not a convertible model.

So, I then looked around and found an RV ready grill...fully equipped with a quick connect hose and no built in regulator.  It's MADE for attaching to an RV's low pressure quick-connect line.  That certainly seems like a great option.  $228 at many places, but Walmart for example with free shipping.  It looks very nice, folds into an "easy carry" shape with a handle.  Haven't fired it up yet, but thought I'd share the journey.

Enjoy the ride,
    Tom

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-57305-Olympian-5500-Stainless-Steel-Portable-Gas-Grill-For-RV-and-Outdoor-Use/29764622?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222222021718706&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10359503291&wl4=pla-1103082935813&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&wl10=Walmart&wl11=Online&wl12=29764622_0&wl14=camco%20olympian%205500&veh=sem&gclid=efbebfc57d8e1eae6a91df4fe2cda1e9&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=efbebfc57d8e1eae6a91df4fe2cda1e9
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,291
    edited April 2021

Did you consider a griddle instead of a grill. We love our Blackstone. It's very easy to connect to a non-regulated source.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    That looks very nice.  Anything that is unregulated is a good choice.  What surprised us was that in today's world, it doesn't appear that regulators can be removed from new grills.  We bought and returned three of them--all with a rigidly attached and non-removeable regulator.  Was great to find an unregulated grill.
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    edited March 2022
    After months of trying to bypass regulators, find adapters, replacing hoses, and talking to manufacturers I've found out it boils down to one thing. It's not regulator dependent. Removing the regulator does not guarantee a camp stove will work on an RV low pressure system. There are low pressure camp stoves that will connect to a camper's quick release fitting and high pressure stoves that won't work even bypassing their regulator.

Many camp stoves are high pressure to help prevent the wind from extinguishing them. These will not operate correctly on a low pressure system. The classic Coleman two burner camp stoves with the little green bottles are high pressure burners. If you want to connect a high pressure stove you will have to connect to the tank before the RV's regulator. If you want to connect at the quick release you will have to find a low pressure stove and add the correct cable with no regulator. Example: A Camp Chef Ranger II is a low pressure stove and by getting the correct hose with no regulator it will work attaching to the quick release fitting. A classic Coleman two burner camping stove with the small green bottle will have to be attached directly to the propane tank still using it's regulator. That's why you can't find an adapter that's made to bypass the regulator for these.

Note that some claim you can remove or bypass a regulator so a high pressure stove will work on a low pressure system... but you risk having a weak flame and low heat (if you can get it to light at all) that could easily go out in the wind. Not good.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York