Options

Installing Solar panels on 2017 tab 320s

I bought 2 X 100w flexible Renogy panels in kit with Voyager controller.  Already installed 2 X 75 ah flooded deep cycle batteries from Batteries+ in parallel in tub.

Installation of panels wired in parallel: What is the best way to orient the 2 solar panels and how to attach to roof?    Front and rear across trailer?  1 Fore & aft on right side of vent and other across aft of vent? 

How is best to install to roof?

Run wires thru the colored side trim forward to battery tub?

Comments

• Options
    druthazerdruthazer Member Posts: 35
    Looks like installing one 100 WATT PANEL fore & aft on right side of vent to take advantage of the most flat horizontal. And second panel: right to left just in front of vent might be a good configuration.  They just fit and seems like this gives the most horizontal surface area.    

Plan to run wires from the 2 panels in parallel down the right side under the color corner trim....  then across diamond plate to the battery tub with 20 amp in line circuit breaker on + wire.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    You need a solar controller between the panels and battery also, something like the Victron Blue MPPT Controller used by nüCamp.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Denny16 said:
    You need a solar controller between the panels and battery also, something like the Victron Blue MPPT Controller used by nüCamp.
    cheers
    OP states he has the renogy voyager controller that came with the kit.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Grand, thanks, missed that, was going by his last comment.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Denny 16, @4ncar.   
    Does anyone have suggestion about my placement of panels?   Looks like forward of fan. A bit more horizontal than aft of fan?   
    Running wires under the colored corner trim to the front battery tub (modified with 2 12v batteries) and into the controller co-located seems like easiest and a clean plan? 

Attaching with the 3m 2 sided 4991 vhb 1 in grey tape recommended by factory:  
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @druthazer: from experience, no. I use a solar suitcase. One might consider in front AND behind the fan, increasing the amount of directional sunlight without moving the trailer...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited September 2020
    @druthazer I agree with @4ncar. The factory installed single panel is horizontal, in front of the fan. The next point nearest the apex of the roof is just behind the fan. Disclaimer; I am also using a briefcase, but have been considering this addition for some time too.  Below is a link to a discussion I started asking about the ABS trim. @MuttonChops provided some good insight and a nice drawing of how it is attached. It may help you during your install...

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/10674/removing-top-abs-trim#latest

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Ask me next month and I’ll tell you how Austin figured out how to install two 105 watt panels on my new 2021 320 Boondock. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    @4ncar @Verna. Simple and cost effective system.    After installing the kit I added 2 type 24 deep cycle batteries.   I decided to put one forward of vent and one on passenger side of vent to take advantage of the most horizontal area. SEE PHOTOS.  I ran the cables down outside the colored trim inside a plastic tube. Still need to anchor them when clips come tomorrow.  I installed the Renogy controller that came with the 2 X 100 W panels and a 20 amp circuit breaker/switch on positive cables going to the panel and one going to battery.   I will decide later if I will upgrade to a Victron MMPT with bluetooth to phone app.   Lastly I covered the battery terminals with the old battery box cover just for protection from shock or short.

Photos resized by moderator.  

• Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 418
    @druthazer that is nice and clean.  How are the panels secured to the roof?  What's that plastic fixture holding the charge controller?  
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    @SlackerBill  I used 1 inch 3M VHB 4950 Tape and prepped the surface of Trailer and the panel with the recommended 3M Primer.  Took one roll for each panel.  They are not going anywhere....    I left a few small gaps around the taped edge to allow airflow and I also glued some CORRUGATED PLASTIC CARDBOARD pieces to raise the center of each panel to allow some airflow for cooling.   Controller and 20A Circuit breakers (both sides) are attached to a piece of the old removed Battery Box plastic I cut out then mounted on Driver side to be away from battery. One circuit breaker (battery side) is out of picture below the controller.  This would be used less often and must be ON BEFORE you turn on the Solar Panel Source Side.  Need to be careful not to accidentally press the circuit breaker cut off accidentally... I think I will make some sort of cover.  I also added a Sewer hose storage pipe under the rear of tab attached with 3-5in hose clamps screwed with the existing screws into the existing trim under the rear.   I will add 2 additional 3-5 in clams from Home Depot $1.98 each.   Hose storage came from Walmart.  
  • Options
    Has anyone tried using a "roof gland" and running the wires from the solar panel directly through the roof anywhere? I'm wanting to mount my panel just aft of the roof fan (maybe 2-3 feet towards the back) and I'd rather tuck the wires behind the panel and enter the roof under the panel, instead of routing wires on the exterior. I just don't know what kind of void (if any) exists between the roof material and inside paneling.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Has anyone tried using a "roof gland" and running the wires from the solar panel directly through the roof anywhere? I'm wanting to mount my panel just aft of the roof fan (maybe 2-3 feet towards the back) and I'd rather tuck the wires behind the panel and enter the roof under the panel, instead of routing wires on the exterior. I just don't know what kind of void (if any) exists between the roof material and inside paneling.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8869/my-solar-install-clean-and-simple

This poster routes the wires down through a roof cable entry and then an interior wall. He has a 2019 320s, yours may differ slightly depending on model and year.

My understanding is there is no void between the inside and outside of the roof, likewise with the outer shell walls or floor of the camper. Everything is laminated sandwich construction.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited January 2021
    As VictoriaP noted, from the outside the roof consists of the aluminum on top of a Reflectix type layer and that covers the aluminum framing and foam block panel.  Then the ceiling layer is a heavy paper/vinyl.  

The Air Force guy mentions the addition of the foam block.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thank you @VictoriaP and @Sharon_is_SAM. I checked out the thread that VictoriaP linked me to and that guy appears to have a pretty good solution. I just posted there seeing if I can glean some further details.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Thank you @VictoriaP and @Sharon_is_SAM. I checked out the thread that VictoriaP linked me to and that guy appears to have a pretty good solution. I just posted there seeing if I can glean some further details.
    If your heart is set on mounting aft of the vent, it shouldn’t be too hard to put the cables mostly out of sight. Orient your panel vertically, and they’ll be WAY up at the top, near the peak of the roof. @Verna’s current setup has a panel on the back in this orientation, and from the ground, you can’t easily see the cables.

Pic here: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/156735#Comment_156735
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    I installed one Renogy panel fore and aft on right side of vent and one parallel forward of vent to get the most surface area facing directly up. They work great and generate all the power I need for my dual lead  acid Duracel batteries from BatteriesPlus  Get 10% off Renogy products at: 
    http://73renogy.refr.cc/robertruthazer   
    A great bonus is the batteries plus solar together power my 3 way fridge while driving during days.  Prior to this set-up, I could not run the fridge on battery while towing.  I use LP while boondocking. 
    ***All works great. ***
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    @druthazer Any photos! Thanks Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    @gulfarea See photos above dated Oct 2020. 
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    @druthazer Thanks I missed that! Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge