Options

Has Anyone Sanitized With Nautilus System?

ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
I want to sanitize my fresh water system and would like to know if anyone has done this with the Nautilus system.
The main question I have is that the valve settings for Sanitize seem to leave the hot water system open - even though Creed stated that this was the setting to use. (In re-reading Creed's email to me - he says to use the Winterization mode to sanitize - which will bypass the water heater (and is the only mode with the Red valve in the "sideways" position that bypasses the water heater.)
Reading the Nautilus User Manual, it says the Red valve "Sideways - water goes to hot water fixtures without going through hot water heater" and "Up – water goes to hot water heater"...but the Sanitize position is UP, which seems wrong.

Sanitize, Dry Camping, and PowerFill all leave the Red valve "Up"...which is water to the hot water heater...

Also, after siphoning in the bleach solution, can I then "powerfill" the fresh water tank to fill it and set it to "dry camping" and use the pump to flush the faucets - all with the hot water heater bypassed?

The key to all my questions is that there doesn't seem to be an hot water bypass as on prior years, expect the Red valve which seems to be in the wrong position per the user manual.
After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The Alde Bypass Red valve handle is not part of the Nautilus, so is not in the manual.  The Red Valve handle is actually on the left side of the Nautilus enclosure, just turn it to the bypass position before adding the bleach solution.
    Then fill your water tank as usual, run The solution shortly your system by using the water pump to flush water through the pipes, turning on cold water facets in galley and washroom, run water through the shower.
    Let it sit for at leas four hours, or even better overnight.  

Then drain the water tank, refill with fresh water, repeat pumping the fresh water through the system, drain and refill the tank with fresh water for your trip.  Turn the Alde bypass vale back to Normal position.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @Denny16
    There is no Alde Bypass valve in the Nautilus water center compartment...Just the hot and cold low point drains, and the 4 Nautilus control valves...
    When I talk about the Red valve, I'm referring to the Nautilus Red lever...as defined in the Nautilus User Manual - but again, there is no separate bypass valve for the hot water heater with the Nautilus system on a T@B 400.

But in re-reading Creed's response to me, I see he says you have to use the Winterization mode to bypass the hot water heater...I just substituted Sanitize mode when I read this, as that naturally seems the correct one - and the fact the User Manual he provided only mentions sanitizing via the Sanitize mode. 
    Honestly, an actual bypass valve would be helpful and probably prevent a lot of people doing this wrong with the Alde.

From Creed today: "Correct – you want to bypass the Alde. The winterization mode in the Nautilus will do that. Place the nautilus in winterization mode to just sanitize. And then move back to the mode you will be using whether it be city water or dry camping."

(Bolded per Sharon_is_Sam - see discussion below for a better way to sanitize the 400 per ChrisFix.)
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    So, @ChrisFix, interesting.  The 2021 320 has the Alde bypass on the left side of the Nautilus compartment - not so in the 2021 400 model.  Is there any Alde bypass valve under the bench?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    So, @ChrisFix, interesting.  The 2021 320 has the Alde bypass on the left side of the Nautilus compartment - not so in the 2021 400 model.  Is there any Alde bypass valve under the bench?  
    @Sharon_is_SAM
    If there is one, it would be under the driver's side bed platform with all the Alde kit and plumbing. It's a minor pain to get into that, especially with the bed topper, but I'll take a look later.
    I do know the Alde low point drains are located there...
  • Options
    Thanks for checking.  I am updating the Model year Changes list and 2021 will have lots of new info.
  • Options
    And just thinking out loud, using the Winterization mode to sanitize will only sanitize the hot and cold water lines...not the fresh water tank itself. 
    For the tank to be siphon filled, the Blue valve needs to be in the down position.

I think the correct answer is for the:
    White valve = Sideways (water goes to pump inlet)
    Blue valve = Down (water will go to or come from fresh water tank)
    Green valve = Sideways (water will not flow through valve)
    Red valve = Sideways (water goes to hot water fixtures without going through hot water heater)

This is not a configuration identified by Nautilus - but I think might work? It is the "Sanitize" configuration with the Red valve set to bypass the hot water heater.
    Thoughts?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    @ChrisFix, you are correct, just checked, there is a light on the 400 where the Alde Bypass valve handle is on the new 320.
    I was thinking of the TaB320 Nautilus setup.  I edited my original post, thanks for the update.
    According to the Nautilus manual, the Red handle on the Nautilus panel is the Alde cutoff valve, they do not label it as such, but does the same function.  Per the Nautilus manual:
    ” RED HANDLE: Receives water from cold water supply line
    Sideways - water goes to hot water fixtures without going through hot water heater.
    Up – water goes to hot water heater”.
    So Red handle sideways, the Alde water heater is bypassed, so add bleach solution with the handle sideways.  After sanitizing and freshwater flush, return the Red handle back to vertical to add water back in the Alde hot water heating system, which is the main Alde heater and Flo aux water heater setup.  
    You may need to press the yellow Alde relief valve to bleed air out fit he hot water tanks, there is one for the Alde and one for the Flo.  But try just running water through the hot water taps first.  As you mentioned, getting to the pressure relief valve is a pain, screw removal required under the bed.
    cheers

• Options
    @Denny16
    Yeah, I think the "Sanitize" configuration with the Red valve in the bypass position is the way to go...
    Wouldn't of thought this would require so much thinking however!
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @ChrisFix, I don't have the Nautilus system,but once you get it all figured out,  one or more good photos with the valves depicted in the proper setting would likely be very helpful for those who do have the system.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    edited August 2020
    This is not rocket science, it is very easy, Red handle sideways is Bypass position, water goes directly to the taps, winterize and sanitize.  Red vale handle up/vertical, Normal operation, water goes to the hot water heater system first, then the taps.  This is all in the manual in a very easy and clear way to understand.  

Their is one error in the Nautilus instructions with regard to the Alde hot water setup, that manual shows to have the red handle up for Sanitize function, but it should be sidewaus  (horizontal)  to prevent bleach solution going into the Alde water tanks.

Other than that, the valve functions are nicely explained in the manual, give it a read, and Bob’s your uncle...
    cheers
  • Options
    @Denny16
    Yes, one can figure it out...but clearly printed on the Nautilus panel is how to set the valves to Sanitize...and it is going to damage the Alde water heater if you follow the clearly illustrated instructions right on the panel.
    It's potentially a significant issue that 2021 T@B 400 owners need to be aware of - and won't unless they spend quality time on this forum.

There is no configuration given by Nautilus that both sanitizes the tank - in addition to the lines - and bypasses the hot water heater, and the one configuration that I'd be willing to bet most people will follow is the one labeled "Sanitize"...which is wrong.
  • Options
    @Bayliss @Sharon_is_SAM
    I will take some photos and open up the Alde compartment to verify if there is a secondary bypass valve there as well.
    This would be helpful to others to have well documented particularly in that the 320 and 400 are set up differently despite both being "Nautilus" systems.
  • Options
    Thank you @ChrisFix.  I need to find the thread, but another owner with the Nautilus was trying to make sense of how to sanitize as well.
  • Options
    I agree Chris, nüCamp should have changed the Nautilus front panel instructions, or made an addendum big note with a correction on the red handle position for sanitize procedure.   The Nautilus manual does give the vale handle position and procedure, but the new owner needs to be aware of the issue with putting a bleach solution through the Alde system.  A big sticker inside the door would have done the trick.

Paul the AirForce guy did a video on the Nautilus system, and also got this wrong, he followed the Nautilus manual.  He also shows Alde and rear of the Nautilus panel, points out the yellow overflow valves, and water pump, and Alde mixing valve.  You can see their is not an additional Alde bypass vale under there.
    cheers

• Options
    @Denny16
    The winterizing procedure used for sanitizing will not sanitize the fresh water tank as is conventionally done...it will sanitize just the lines. 
    That's the only issue I see with following that advice as given by NuCamp.
  • Options
    @ChrisFix you are right, my bad, edited my post.  Thanks.
    cheers
  • Options
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM
    I had not seen that...
    The key difference of course is the 320 actually has a separate and labeled Alde bypass valve.
    I think we've proven the Red handle in the 400's Nautilus is actually this same function - just not described or labeled in any way.
  • Options
    @ChrisFix - I reviewed this thread and agree with the proper sanitize mode for the 400 with the Nautilus P3.  I do not understand the Green Handle function.  It operates a valve between the pump and fresh water tank, so shouldn’t it be open (Up)?
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM
    The Green handle allows the pump to pump from the tank...not to the tank.
    In the Up position, the pump draws water from the tank.
    In the Sideways position, no water flows through the valve.

It is only used for "Dry Camping"...when you want to pump water from your fresh tank to the fixtures.
  • Options
    Ok.  So, is the description wrong for the Green Handle?  It says in the Up position, “water will go to or from the fresh water tank”.
    Maybe the direction of flow is dependent on the other valve settings?  
  • Options
    Yes, it is a combo of valve settings to get any specific function, like filling the water tank, where you want the pump not drawing water from the tank, so you can use the pump to add water from a water source other than a city water connection.  Also you want this setting for adding glycol to the water lines in the trailer.  The valves are kind of multi-purpose.  I think this is where the confusion comes in, whilst the handles have a specific single function, they are basically a manifold setup, where a given combo of valve settings results in a specific function.
    cheers
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Ok.  So, is the description wrong for the Green Handle?  It says in the Up position, “water will go to or from the fresh water tank”.
    Maybe the direction of flow is dependent on the other valve settings?  
    Yes, the description is inaccurate/confusing.
    Water will not go to the tank with the Green handle in the UP position...it must be Sideways in order for the pump to draw water into the tank.
  • Options
    Thanks @ChrisFix!
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The Nautilus setup is actually pretty slick, it allows you to either use city water to fill the tank, use the onboard water pump to pump water into the tank, or pump the sanitizing solution, and winter antifreeze solution into the tank.
    cheers
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    The Nautilus setup is actually pretty slick, it allows you to either use city water to fill the tank, use the onboard water pump to pump water into the tank, or pump the sanitizing solution, and winter antifreeze solution into the tank.
    cheers
    Yes, it is a step up from the prior-years water setup.
  • Options
    JujuJuju Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2022
    I’m trying to sanitize my lines using the Nautilus. I can’t get the pump to suck up the bleach/water. The pump seems to be running and I’ve got one hose end attached to the winterize/sanitize connection. Levers set to sanitize. Turned pump on, sounds like it’s running. But no water leaving the bucket. Any ideas about what I’m doing wrong? TIA!
    Never mind. Just raised the bucket up to give the pump a gravity assist. That did it!
  • Options