Norcold works at home shore power but not a campsite

13»

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited September 2020
    You should never tow with the gas turned on, or a gas appliance like the 3-way fridge running on gas whist towing — not only is this a dangerous practice, but it is illegal in many states.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • jules2gojules2go Member Posts: 164
    Re: leveling, I do try to get the bubble in the window. There have been times when it was a hair outside the window. I'll pay more attention to this. Mona mentioned getting a jack foot pad; I just bought one of these on my way home the other night. I have been cranking the post down and putting it on several wood blocks, without the wheel, prior. 

When en route/towing, I haven't used battery or gas because I don't go very far (1-2 hours away). I don't want to put it on battery and run the battery down, and don't want it on gas on the road for safety. 

I hope they find something that made it worth while to drive all the way over there today, and not a simple case of "user error". Either way, I just want to know how to fix the issue so I can hit the road again! 
    2020 Tab 320S BE "Moonbeam"
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
    Back from the service place today. They found nothing wrong with it. It worked perfectly over there. He wasn't sure if the GFI outlet close to the floor is connected to the fridge, but suggested keeping an eye out for whether it needed to be reset if I have the problem again (wasn't an issue at the service place).

The propane was working to cool the fridge when it was there; I think I didn't leave it on long enough when I was trying it at the campsite. In the past when I've tried to run it on propane I think I would get nervous that it wasn't making a different after like half an hour and I recall maybe smelling propane and so I shut it off out of fear. 

Tomorrow I'm dry camping for two nights. Fridge is nice and cold right now, hooked up to shore power at the house. I'll switch it to propane when I get there tomorrow. Next weekend will be a big trial as I head down to coastal SC. I'll have full hookups there and it will be in the 80s during the day. 

I have learned a lot from everyone's answers here and again thank you for helping. 
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
    mona said:
    Those asphalt pads can fool you. 😁 That’s why I went with a jack foot pad. Couldn’t get level enough, front to back, with the wheel on and down as far as the jack would go. Just a tad over the line, and a warm frig the next morning. Hooked back up and removed the wheel and put a leveling block under the jack. Never had a warm frig since. So, yes, level on electric, too. 
    @mona can you please post a link to the jack foot pad you have? How has the it helped with leveling? I'm still trying to figure out my problem. Ran into same issue this past weekend; worked fine at first campsite (shore power) abut not the second one. I tried hard to have that bubble not touching either line. Someone had posted that I might be throwing off the leveling effort by not having the stabilizers set just right, and suggested that I recheck the bubble after setting them. I'll do this next time. Thank you for your help.

2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
    edited May 2021
    Fridge ultimately was found to be broken by the Norcold dealer in my town. They couldn't get it to work at all. They said it wasn't part of a recall, and the because these particular fridge are cheap to make and not well-made, that Norcold doesn't even bother to put many of them on recall. I'm going to put a new post on here that will  list the model number of that one. I have a brand new one and was covered under the one year warranty. So far it's working great! So nice not to have to use the old cooler!
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @jules2go, thanks for the update. Many times we don't get one, and a lot of us are left wondering. So nice that we get to know you had a positive resolution to the problem. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Glad you got it sorted Jules.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    edited May 2021
    jules2go said:
    Fridge ultimately was found to be broken by the Norcold dealer in my town. They couldn't get it to work at all. They said it wasn't part of a recall, and the because these particular fridge are cheap to make and not well-made, that Norcold doesn't even bother to put many of them on recall. I'm going to put a new post on here that will  list the model number of that one. I have a brand new one and was covered under the one year warranty. So far it's working great! So nice not to have to use the old cooler!
    @jules2go. Even though Asheville is 2000+ ft. elevation, you may want to invest in a bluetooth refrigerator monitor. We found the propane mode on Norcold 3-way to be beyond lacking in hot weather in Summer's long days. Like 61 degrees refrigerator temperature for 6+ hours. It's 160 year old technology (absorption), not able to keep up with serious heat while boondocking. If you're "older Americans" like us, it's not worth the risk of food subtly going bad. Have replacement 2-way with Danfoss compressor arriving soon. Will put it through same rigorous monitoring and report back to the forum later this Summer.
    Norcold 3-way worked fine for us last October and again in AZ this April. May through September of 2020, it simply could not keep up.

2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
     Have replacement 2-way with Danfoss compressor arriving soon. Will put it through same rigorous monitoring and report back to the forum later this Summer.
    Norcold 3-way worked fine for us last October and again in AZ this April. May through September of 2020, it simply could not keep up.

I have wondered about that as well, food spoiling and eating it unknowingly. I guess I could just put a little thermometer in it but then I'd have to keep checking it. Please do post an update about the new one you're putting in. Thanks.
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • ginsbujginsbuj Member Posts: 44
    I have a norcold n180.3r in my 2019 Boondock 320. It never gave me any trouble until this spring. I cool it down on shore power before leaving and then switch to gas at the campsite. It runs perfect for two days and then seems to shut down even though the green meter still shows on. We are at high altitude but always are went camping so no idea why this suddenly started happening this spring. Any ideas?
    @ginsbuj Sounds like the same thing that happened with mine, except that you got a good year or more of use out of yours. It's likely out of warranty. I would def not replace it with another Norcold 3way, that's for sure. 
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
    This is an update to my issue with norcold n180.3r. I've used it at very high altitudes always, I always level the trailer, and it has worked for two years without this issue. I had a RV repair person look at it this week and other than a slightly loose wire he though everything is working properly so I tested it again. I cooled it overnight on electric to 30 degrees then switched it over to gas. It slowly heated and then remained at 60 degrees. Keep in mind that it is 100 degrees outside in Tucson at this point so is that as good as I can expect? 
    Has anyone found a replacement frig that fits without a lot of mods to a 320S Boondock?
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    ginsbuj said:
     I cooled it overnight on electric to 30 degrees then switched it over to gas. It slowly heated and then remained at 60 degrees. Keep in mind that it is 100 degrees outside in Tucson at this point so is that as good as I can expect? 
    Have somewhat larger Norcold 3-way (n-3104) in T@B 400. Also share similar climatic conditions to Tucson here in SW New Mexico. Sad to say, the Norcold 3-way on propane can at best shave 35 degrees off of ambient. A 60 degree fridge for several hours is a serious food safety hazard.
    We have an appointment on 6/14 to replace Norcold with Isotherm 2-way. Will test that fridge out in the driveway with no food at risk. Hopefully it will do substantially better than the Norcold. We also have a new camping rule: no camping below 8,000 ft. elevation from May through September. Going places that are not over 90 degrees for 6+ hours combined with fridge that has Danfoss compressor will hopefully do the trick!
    Comparing what's expected of an RV fridge (particularly while boondocking on 12V) with the typical home fridge is really quite a disparity.

2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
    Always have a well-chilled cooler for back up. I'm now in sw colorado to escape the blistering heat in nm. My newly replaced norcold has struggled on propane during my trips between locations. I wouldn't normally run it while on the road, but in this crazy heat opted to do so. I'm boondocking in northern nm for a few nights starting this weekend and because of food spoilage potential (as johnofconway stated) I'm going to fully utilize that cooler. Maybe Nucamp will go with a better unit at some point. 
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • RedDoorGalsRedDoorGals Member Posts: 23
    We have a slightly different problem with our Norcold 2-way (not 3-way): it seems to work fine on shore power, but is not cooling when using the batteries.  We boondock frequently and rely on our dual batteries to run the fridge.  They show amps of 13.8 down to 12.7 (right before bedtime).  The fridge runs; but doesn't cool down; the error light flashes.  We have been in extreme heat the last 3 weeks so perhaps that has something to do with it? One day while driving the fridge cooled just fine....but that night it didn't when hooked just to batteries.  Any thoughts?
    2018 T@B CS-S; pulled by a 2010 Toyota Tacoma v6
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @RedDoorGals, a Silver Shadow teardrop owner ran 10 gauge wiring from the Norcold 2-way through the floor, in conduit, to the battery. The positive lead was fused at the battery.  After using the Norcold with this new heavier gauge of wiring, he no longer gets the error messages and he has no problems with his Norcold. 

Be sure to run 10 gauge wiring, and the wiring must be protected all of the way to the battery. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 433
    We have a slightly different problem with our Norcold 2-way (not 3-way): it seems to work fine on shore power, but is not cooling when using the batteries.  We boondock frequently and rely on our dual batteries to run the fridge.  They show amps of 13.8 down to 12.7 (right before bedtime).  The fridge runs; but doesn't cool down; the error light flashes.  We have been in extreme heat the last 3 weeks so perhaps that has something to do with it? One day while driving the fridge cooled just fine....but that night it didn't when hooked just to batteries.  Any thoughts?
    Assuming this is a Norcold NR7XX there are a number of reasons why the fridge might show an error. From the description it could be under-voltage or the controller gets too hot. You wrote "amps" but I'm guessing these are voltage readings as they go down over time. 
    "Thermal cut-out of electronic unit" happens when the circuit board reaches 100C. That's quite high but certainly possible sitting in the sun on a hot day with mediocre ventilation around the back. 
    "Battery protection cut-out" is triggered when the voltage drops below 10.8V. Note this is the voltage at the fridge, which may be different from what the battery monitor shows. If there is a bad connection with high resistance it causes a voltage drop which increases with current draw. Troubleshooting step 1 would be to check the 12V wiring all the way to the fridge and check for voltage drops. Possibly the wiring is too small but for the <5A current draw 16g wire should suffice. 10g is on the overkill side. 
    Grumpy_G said:
    Assuming this is a Norcold NR7XX there are a number of reasons why the fridge might show an error. From the description it could be under-voltage or the controller gets too hot. You wrote "amps" but I'm guessing these are voltage readings as they go down over time. 
    "Thermal cut-out of electronic unit" happens when the circuit board reaches 100C. That's quite high but certainly possible sitting in the sun on a hot day with mediocre ventilation around the back. 
    "Battery protection cut-out" is triggered when the voltage drops below 10.8V. Note this is the voltage at the fridge, which may be different from what the battery monitor shows. If there is a bad connection with high resistance it causes a voltage drop which increases with current draw. Troubleshooting step 1 would be to check the 12V wiring all the way to the fridge and check for voltage drops. Possibly the wiring is too small but for the <5A current draw 16g wire should suffice. 10g is on the overkill side. 
    Grumpy G: first, thanks, yes, I'm referring to the voltage readout from the batteries.  This is an older Norcold; probably the original from a 2014 T@B 320 CS.  We definitely were in some hot weather here in the West in the last few weeks and yes, inside the clamshell it could have reached above 100 degrees (air temp was 106 on the way home yesterday).  But...the Norcold also gave us an error blink and didn't cool down when air temps were below 80 degrees (or cooler) AND the clamshell was open and in the shade.  So, I'm thinking it's a wiring issue.  However the hardwire for the fridge goes into the bottom of the fridge "cabinet"...how do I find it to trace/test it for the length of the trailer?  Thanks in advance.

@RedDoorGals - upgraded wiring is certainly an option, but if it was a voltage issue, wouldn’t you have had problems before this?  There have been other CS owners who had problems with cooling.  They created additional venting and maybe even used a computer fan to assist venting of hot air.  
    I found another thread that points to wiring as the culprit:

crampshaw Member Posts: 16
    Seitzmike, I’ve scanned this thread see you’ve gotten a lot of good advice. More ventilation will certainly help your fridge’s efficiency on hot days with the hatch closed but won’t solve the cut-off problem while running on battery. While trying to make your model fridge work in our 2009 T@da, I discovered that while the voltage at the battery was 12.2 or lower, the voltage at the fridge dropped to below 11.5v and so the fridge cut-out. The T@da’s wiring wasn’t heavy enough for the 5+ amps drawn by the Norcold causing excessive. I installed an Engel fridge that draws 2.3 amps instead — no voltage drop. Heavier wiring will reduce the voltage drop to the Norcold and keep it running longer while on battery only. But imo the current draw and 11.5 cut-off make the Norcold I’ll-suited to boondocking. 
    Sharon_is_SAM Thank-you!!  What a helpful post; I think my next step then is to check the voltage coming into the fridge and see what the drop is.  For those of us to whom electricity (from battery, solar, or shore power) remains a mystery, this is very helpful.  Not certain how you found this; but then again, that's why your the Administrator and I'm just searching in the dark!  Thanks again!!