Options

Tab320 Boondock wiring harness

TxNew23ersTxNew23ers Member Posts: 17
edited September 2020 in Trailer & Towing
We're picking up our very first RV in a couple of weeks and I have an Escape SE with 3500 lbs of towing capability, but i'm having a hitch and 4-pin harness installed.   What type of 7-pin to 4-pin adapter will work?  I realize it won't work the brakes and i've read it won't be charging my battery while driving, but is there anything else to look out for? 

Comments

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    We're picking up our very first RV in a couple of weeks and I have an Escape SE with 3500 lbs of towing capability, but i'm having a hitch and 4-pin harness installed.   What type of 7-pin to 4-pin adapter will work?  I realize it won't work the brakes and i've read it won't be charging my battery while driving, but is there anything else to look out for? 
    Why not get the 7 pin installed instead of a 4 pin?  That way you have everything you need.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    In order to have the 7-pin installed I would have to get a separate brake controller put in.  The installer quoted me about another $400-500 for that and he said that i really didn't need to have a brake controller - only hauling 3500; its not required in Texas.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Are you only planning to camp in Texas? Different rules may still apply in different states. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    You may want to check with your insurance company about not hooking up the brake controller.  There is a reason for a manufacturer placing electric brakes on a trailer.  You may well be able to tow sufficiently with your Escape, but you never know when you will need that extra braking capacity with a sudden maneuver.  Especially your first RV,  I can’t recommend towing without connecting and using your electric brakes - regardless of the law.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    It won't happen right away, but towing without trailer brakes is not only dangerous but you will end up needing a front brake job sooner than later. That alone will cost at least $400-650 depending.
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    McadamanMcadaman Member Posts: 9
    You can get a 7pin harness and Curt Echo bluetooth brake controller from etrailer for about $300 total and have it installed when they put on the hitch.  I got my hitch, harness and BT brake controller from them, had the hitch installed but wiref it myself. The brake controller works with an app you download and control from your phone. Works great too.
  • Options
    @Mcadaman - do you need the charge wire installed to operate the Echo?  I know you do with the Prodigy RF controller.
  • Options
    The rep at the RV/Camper place said that there's no reason that i would need to use the trailer brakes because its not like i'm towing 10K lbs.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    You can absolutely have a 7 pin installed without a brake controller being done at the same time, I did it because my intent was to use the Prodigy RF brake controller, which doesn’t require a permanent wired installation. Hitch installer had no objections; I’ll do the same thing with the next car soon. A wired controller can always be added later if desired.

I’m going to pile on here though, any time you use a marginal tow vehicle—at 3500 lbs, yes, the Escape meets the minimum requirements, which makes it adequate, not ideal—and you’re towing more than 50% of your limit, you really should add in the extra safety level of trailer brakes even if they aren’t legally required. With the wireless options available now, there’s really no reason not to do this, as using trailer brakes protects both your vehicle and your expensive new trailer.

Additionally, the Escape owners manual states flat out that trailer brakes are required when towing more than 1500 lbs.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    You need the 12VDC charge connection for both the Echo and Prodigy controllers, this is how they get powered.  You can get by without brakes on the TaB320 if you are towing with a truck, but with the Escape you definitely need trailer brakes working, if nothing else to use to help control the trailer in case you get some sway motion going.  Small vehicles like the Escape do jot have the mass or braking ability to safely stop a 2-3K lbs trailer going 50-60 mph.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @TxNew23ers - a salesman does not always have all the information to keep an owner safe.  Take advantage of some good advice from experienced members here on the forum.    
  • Options
    We ended up getting the Curt Echo wireless brake controller and looking forward to testing it out when we pick up the RV.