Options

TV smaller sized spare tow or no

Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
I did do a search first and couldn’t find this question. I apologize if it was somewhere and I missed it.  have a 2020 Subaru Ascent  that has a smaller “temporary” spare tire designed to get you to a repair facility. It is mounted  under the car with a mechanical lift. There is not enough room for me to replace it with a full size tire. If my TV has a flat and I am using the smaller spare willI I still be able to tow safely? Sorry if this is a rookie question but my understanding of all things related to towing is slim (but increasing everyday) and I want to be as safe as possible. 
Kr@cken
2020 T@B 320 Boondock
Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
Clueless about everything electronic
2020 Subaru Ascent 
Bainbridge Island, Wa

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Good question @Kr@cken.  Not a rookie question.  A question I have not seen until now.  Anybody?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    This is graduate level stuff.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited September 2020
    @Kr@cken, I do not have any experience with a situation like that, but I found the below information posted online by an RV owner.  I am only providing it to you for consideration, but it makes sense and I personally agree with it.

Your best bet would be to consider subscribing to a tow service that includes towing coverage for your T@B (e.g., AAA, Good Sam, your auto insurance provider, etc.)  If you search this forum, there have been discussions in the past about available options, but you will want to confirm that it covers both your tow vehicle and trailer.  Otherwise, you will need to leave the trailer on the side of the highway while you are getting your tow vehicle flat repaired/replaced.  The only exception in my mind is that you might be able to get away with it if you only have to travel a very short distance (e.g.,  to get the trailer off the highway and to a safer location, or if a tire shop is close by.)  BUT, if you choose to do that, you will need to drive at a low speed (25-30 mph?), which you are supposed to do on an emergency spare anyway.

Here's the post (from an RV forum):

“If you do not have a full size spare and instead a “donut” emergency spare (smaller), then you should not be towing any trailer. This emergency spare can not handle the additional stress of towing. So, you would have to leave your trailer on the roadside if you did get a flat on your tow vehicle and have to use the donut spare.”

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Thank you for your prompt reply. I do have AAA with the RV package so I will check with them to see how this would be managed. With AWD I wasn’t sure if the remaining 3 wheels would be sufficient to manage the offset distribution. I will be low and slow in the right hand lane.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    An older entry from a Subaru dealer website (https://www.stanleysubaru.com/blog/2012/october/18/how-do-i-change-a-flat-tire-in-my-subaru.htm):

Never tow a trailer when the temporary spare tire is used. The temporary spare tire is not designed to sustain the towing load. Use of the temporary spare tire when towing can result in failure of the spare tire and/or less stability of the vehicle and may lead to an accident.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Thank you. I called Subaru earlier today and they didn’t seem to think it was an issue. Glad I came back to the experts. 
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited September 2020
    @Kr@cken, I opted not to include it in my earlier response, but since you brought up AWD, I also saw this comment, which was from another RV'er:

“Also, be careful if you have all-wheel-drive . . . . in some cases, it could cause extensive damage if you use a tire that is a different diameter than the others.  Make sure your spare matches, whether it is a "donut" or full-size.”

I didn't include it primarily because a "donut" spare is smaller (at least that has always been my experience), despite it being sized to work with the particular vehicle.  If a vehicle includes a "tow package," then it should include a full-size spare (although it may be the stock spare, as opposed to an upgraded tire and/or wheel size, which is common with newly-purchased vehicles.)

Whatever any RV owner on this forum does, always err on the safe side.  If it isn't a hazard to other drivers, and you don't have a tow service, it's best to just leave the trailer alongside the highway.  Hopefully, you won't be away from it for long and you can secure it with a locking device to deter theft.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    I was thinking I would stay with the camper until they bring my TV back :)
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    Couple of years ago, I was at on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon off a 7 mile Forest Service road.....with a rear tire practically flat from a large chunk of metal. Luckily, the tire held air from the compressor long enough to maneuver, and things worked out.
    If this had been an actual emergency......I'd use one of the small tires on the front wheels and drive ever so slowly and carefully to where I would find help. 
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    I bought a compressor and a tire plug system so hopefully I can get my full size tire home. I miss my old Toyota Venza that had had a full spare tire,
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    Tire plugs were used at the North Rim Country Store near the Demotte Campground to fix my tire.  The guy who did it (Tom) had a crowd around him as he worked his magic on the tire, since this method of tire fixing seems to be a bit rare.    Held together just fine.  I carry a plug kit now, too!
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    @Kr@cken I agree that trying to tow with the temp is not a good idea. I also have an Ascent and just to keep things complicated, the Subaru manual says the temp spare should not be used on the front axle because of the difference in tire geometry mentioned by @Bayliss above and the AWD system. So if you have a front flat you need to remove the rear tire, put the spare on the rear and then put the good tire on the front.  Plus, if you camp anything like me, the back of your Ascent is probably filled to the roof with gear so good luck deploying that spare! A plug kit and compressor might suffice to get you going, but a good roadside assistance plan is good insurance.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    For all the trouble a flat tire would cause while towing, I'd be inclined to just buy a cheap Subaru rim and mount a full-sized tire to bring along when I am camping. Some flats can't be plugged or even professionally repaired--even with roadside RV assistance insurance, you might find yourself waiting a loooong time for tow trucks and tire replacements when just having the right thing on hand would have gotten you back rolling in fifteen minutes. Just my $0.02...
    2015 T@B S