Winterizing

I am currently in Colorado camping. A snow storm is coming through tonight and temps are going to drop below freezing. I didn’t plan on leaving for home until Wednesday. Since I cannot winterize my 2021 320 should I head south and avoid the 25 degree weather? Or will I be okay to endure without any freezing damage? 

52 nights

Comments

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Why can’t you winterize? It’s not like it’s a permanent procedure. Many people in cooler regions that tend to flip flop temperatures frequently during spring and fall do it multiple times.

General rule of thumb: below 32° for a few hours, not much risk. More than a few hours? Winterize or go somewhere warmer.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    If it is one night at 25 and then warming up to the 40's the next day, you might be OK. It is defenitely a risk.

I might try dumping antifreeze in the cassette toilet, down the drains, and keep the bathroom door and kitchen cabinets ajar.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• KentsbKentsb Member Posts: 67
    VictoriaP said:
    Why can’t you winterize? It’s not like it’s a permanent procedure. Many people in cooler regions that tend to flip flop temperatures frequently during spring and fall do it multiple times.

General rule of thumb: below 32° for a few hours, not much risk. More than a few hours? Winterize or go somewhere warmer.
    Well first I am camping and don’t have easy access to antifreeze. It also seems like an involved process. Plus if I winterize I cannot use any of the functions of the unit.

I was thinking if I drain all the lines and tanks the would be room for expansion if any ice does form there will be room to expand.

52 nights
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Some have been known to use vodka...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    ontheroad said:
    Some have been known to use vodka...
    I would think if you can source vodka, yoy can source the antifreeze. I picked some up at HD yesterday fro my upcoming trip. Auto parts stores and Walmart will also have it.

It is a risk. We can't give you any assurances, either way.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @Kentsb - TaBs are most vulnerable to freeze damage at the pump, the fresh water tank outlet and the dump valve gates.  Full tanks take a long time to freeze and if you empty them then no worries.  If it were me, I would learn to winterize by at least blowing out your lines, emptying your tanks and adding antifreeze to your dump valve gates and P traps.  Once you travel and get to warmer weather you can go ahead and fill your fresh water tank and carry on.  I would not risk my new trailer trying to second guess the weather.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Winterizing really isn’t that difficult....it just seems to be as you contemplate it the first time. The process that someone posted for the 2021 320’s is simple, compared to the pre-2021 320’s. I guess one of your first voices will be....do I risk freezing and bursting pipes, or do I do some preventative maintenance (around 30 minutes plus going and getting the RV antifreeze)?

Look at the directions in the link below and it will lead you through it. Be sure to read the entire post as there are important notes near the end:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11331/winterizing-the-2021-tab-320-questions#latest
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • KentsbKentsb Member Posts: 67
    No one has presented anything here that confirms that winterizing in a campsite that is 60 miles from the nearest town when you are in no way prepared for doing it. It is 95 degrees here right now but will be snowing in the morning. I had no idea when I set out on this trip I was going to need to be winterizing my rig. I think the only choice I have is to drive south out of the storms path.

52 nights