Tips for a Newbie?

PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
Just bought a 2018 T@B 320S Boondock.  Feeling a bit intimidated by all of the modification threads I've been reading through.  Wondering if people could share their top tips for a newbie.  Things to remember to pack.  Things that make T@B life easier.  Must have items.  What did you wish someone had told you before your first outing?  Thanks so much.  I feel like I've done nothing for the past two days but read discussions on this forum.  :s  Fantastic wealth of knowledge.  :)
2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Often a dealer will give you a bag of cheap items (sewer hose, plastic water regulator, etc).  Not to be ungrateful, but, these items are just to get you started and you will want to replace them with quality items.  Here is what you will need:

Sewer:

15 feet of sewer hose with connections (I suggest the Rhinoflex). Plus a cheap extra 5 feet just in case.
    Happy camper to add to gray and black tanks to reduce odor
    Nitrile gloves, Hand sanitizer.
    Decide where you will store your hose, etc.

Water:
    A water filter:

A water pressure regulator:  

A hose adapter to fill your fresh water tank:  

A short section of water hose to hook up to a park spigot when you won’t have water at your site:

Minimum of 25 feet of potable water hose.  And, I would get either a non-kink adapter or this:  
    If you plan to use your fresh water tank and pump - a siphon hose will easily refill your fresh water tank.

Water jugs.  I would limit to two 2.5 gallons.  Each gallon of water is 8# - you do the math.  They work nicely to refill your fresh tank.

Electric:

A good surge protector and lock/cable - search on the forum.
    Consider a 10 foot 10 gauge extension cord depending on where you camp.

Miscellaneous:
    Clothesline for drying towels
    Camp chairs
    Vinyl tablecloths for the grubby picnic tables
    Flashlights
    Bug repellent
    Fly swatter
    Some kind of awning/tent
    Plastic rug for outside your door

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Thanks, Sharon_is_SAM.  I will compare this list with the load of items the seller included with the trailer.  Water filters are a great idea!

• DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Congratulations. The top tip commonly provided is to camp in your driveway a couple nights, before taking off to Patagonia. Gets you accustomed to the basics of how much you can bring, how to cook, cooling off the fridge, getting a hot shower with the Alde, whether the cushions are good enough for you (or if you need a camping pad or mattress topper).  You might try shore power and city water one night, then battery power and water pump with the freshwater tank the second night.

There's quite a few carry lists on the forum, and you might want to start one of your own, but it's usually some combination of wheel chocks, trailer side-to-side leveler, the stabilizer crank, the wheel or footpad for the jack, a freshwater hose, a water pressure regulator, a sewer hose, a phone app to check level, half tank of fresh water for the road, an extra 2.5g or 5g jug of pure water (or two) for safe drinking, tire pressure gauge, and a spirit of adventure.

I wish someone had told me to chock one of the trailer wheels front and back with good heavy rubber chocks, then ease the car or truck forward a half inch or two before trying to hitch and unhitch... especially on a hill.  The locking mechanism works a lot easier if the tow vehicle hitch ball is on the forward / front side of the coupler.  My first couple times I struggled.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Keep it simple.  Not everyone mods their trailer to the hilt.  Just a little at a time will be worth it.
    Haven't had a thread of "things that I bought that I don't know why or what for" in a while!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    What pthomas745 said. Don’t get caught up in mods before you even take the trailer out. Likewise, don’t buy up a bunch of stuff. Both of these things are a surefire way to waste money. Camp a bit first and figure out what YOU need and how YOU prefer to camp, and then go seek out reviews of the items you think are necessary.

Take the absolute barest minimum on your first few trips, and bring a notebook. Every time you think of something you “need” while you’re camping, write it down. Come home and research. Lather, rinse, repeat. 😊
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    One thing I’d recommend taking along is a Camco scissor jack socket adapter for your stabilizers if you also have a decent battery operated drill.  You can order these on Amazon and IMHO they are worth every penny.  It eliminates the need to haul out the stabilizer crank handle and makes deploying and stowing the stabilizers a quick and easy endeavor.   I would also carry a small level or buy the stick on levels at Walmart, etc.  A pair of wheel chocks should be a part of your gear too, along with a nice LED flashlight, butane grill starter, etc.  

As noted, it all takes time to figure out everything but a few shakedown trips and you will feel more comfortable and know what you need as opposed to taking gear out for a ride to and from a campsite.  You will find out that a lot if the cool, flashy camping items you see in ads will easily end up in your next garage sale.  😀

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    Also with @pthomas745 and @VictoriaP on this one,  keep it simple and don't get cought up in mods and buy only essential accessories, half of the stuff i bought i don't use. Just get out there and enjoy!!!
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • SamrollseyesSamrollseyes Member Posts: 29
    Welcome to trailering! I always have sunscreen, a basic first aid kit, and my homemade checklist of steps I do when setting up camp and steps I do when packing it up. You only have to forget putting up the step or or forget to remove the front wheel once to make your trip not as fun. Also, I have a selection of Command hangers scattered about the trailer. I think placing a basket or hook in a spot is a good idea until I get in and hit my head. I can then easily remove the hanger to another spot🤣.
    The plastic rug in the ground in front of your door is FABULOUS; I have one that has an aggressive tread so I'm not tracking a bunch of stuff in. Always fill up your tow gas tank before you leave-added peace of mind.
    Most important of all, BREATHE! YOU GOT THIS!
    Have fun!!!
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    It's your money, but I'm in the keep it simple camp. The only items I purchased for my first season were a potable water hose (needed if you have a water hook-up) and a plastic water jug (needed if you will be refilling your water tank). My T@B came with a cheap water pressure adapter and sewer hose which served me fine to get started. I tossed in a few pieces of lumber for chocking and leveling and headed for the woods!

I've upgraded and added a few more items since then, but they have all been acquired after I figured out exactly what I wanted.
    2015 T@B S
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Wine was/is on the top of my list when outfitting thenTaB.  B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    ChanW said:
    No one has mentioned....
    Wine!
    Oh, I thought that was just generally understood.  :-)

In fact, one of my more recent improvements was a hanging rack for my plastic wine glasses!
    2015 T@B S
  • Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    Hi, if you have Facebook, join this group as well,,,they have a file section with all kinds of info including, what to do before leaving for camping what to do when arriving and all sorts of goodies...https://www.facebook.com/groups/24931511064/

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @Rodent77!
    Love the HST quote!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    @ChanW thanks..can't take the credit for it, I got the idea from my brothers friend but loved it as well

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @PNWtabber. although this may not be directly responsive to your specific request, I have attached some "towing tips" that me be helpful.  I have put these tips together over time and they incorporate ideas provided by other T@B owners on this forum.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

For those that mentioned wine (I'm looking at you @ChanW, @Denny16, and @ScottG), any recommendations for safely carrying wine glasses that are not plastic?  I guess stemless is a good start.  Or is plastic the only way to go and, if so, are there really good options out there?  Thanks, and cheers! 🍷 

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I use aluminum insulated wine cups, with plastic lids. I call them my sippy cups😂

You can purchase plain ones, or those that have sayings printed on them. They are shaped like stemless wine glasses and range in sizes from 6 oz (hard to find) to 16+ oz. Easy to take care of and no broken glasses. 

I’ve tried stemless glass wine glasses rolled in towels and the last pair was still broken. I gave up as I prefer my sippy cups anyway😉
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    @Verna -- do the aluminum cups impart any metallic taste? 

@PNWtabber, we use collapsible plastic wine glasses made of thin Lexan (or something similar) that are quite clear and shapely. In transit they just bounce happily around in the upper cabinets. I've also seen some nice stainless models, if you can get around not be able to see through them. Personally, I like a handle on my wine glass, so stemless has even less appeal to me than good plastic.

I do hold out for the real thing (ceramic and glass) for my coffee and my whiskey, Those cups are smaller and more rugged. They get wrapped in towels and transported in a drawer unit inside the kitchen cabinets.

You'll figure out something that works for you. Good drinkware (however you define it) is a camping essential!  :-)
    2015 T@B S
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PNWtabber said:
    @Verna -- do the aluminum cups impart any metallic taste? 
    No. The ones I use have the plastic lids and I think that helps, although I have drank juice straight out of the 6 oz cup and there was no aluminum taste to me. I have 3 larger ones, with two from a different manufacturer than the third and no metallic taste from either of the three. 

And the lids come in handy for the fall when those pesky yellow jackets try to get into your drinks. The three larger cups’s lids have closing parts on the lid to foil any pesky insect. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    @Verna, thanks (again)!

Oops, just saw your comment, @ScottG.  Thanks.  I've seen those collapsible glasses at REI.

@Horigan -- thanks.  I haven't embraced "stemless" at home, but I can see the advantages for camping!

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    "Jelly jars"... tough, attractive, and surprisingly, they hold 4oz.!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited October 2020
    I embraced stemless wine glasses yeas ago, after spilling several stem glasses full of expensive wine.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    Definitely thick stemless for "camping".  For home we're still using stemware since my wife was in the wine industry we would never use anything else.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA