Options

Mismatched Spare Tire

ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,454
It has always been obvious that the spare that came with my T@B was very different from the "regular" tires. I never gave it much thought, but I recently noticed that not only is the tread different, but the spare is a bias ply tire while the others are radials. My guess is that nuCamp (Pleasant Valley Trailers at the time) had some extra tires at the time that got called into service as spares...

Isn't there some rule about not mixing bias and radial plies on the same vehicle? Realistically, how much of problem could this present if I were forced to used the spare for long distances at highway speeds?

Are T@Bs still being shipped with mismatched spares?
2015 T@B S

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    Our 2017 spare is on a cheaper wheel, but the tire itself matches the other two.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The spare tire/tyre on our 2018 TaB 400, while on a steel wheel is the same tire/tyre as the ones on the trailer.
    cheere
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited September 2020
    @ScottG, the short answer is the bias ply tire will run hotter.
    You are correct that this usually isn't done on the same axle.

Edit: You may also find that the two tires have a different circumference (referred as stagger in racing), which would tend to steer the trailer towards the smaller tire.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @ScottG, this pretty much echo's the input provided by @CrabTab, but here's some info I posted in a previous discussion:

"D" = tires that are built with criss-crossed plies and are commonly referred to as bias-constructed tires, or bias-ply.  They are less flexible and more prone to overheating.

"R" = radial tire construction, which is the industry standard for most tires.  Radial tires are what you want to use.

You should not mix radial tires with bias-ply tires, at least not for longer distance travel.  As a temporary fix (e.g., for a short trip to a repair facility) they will be OK, but the two tires track and wear differently.   (Also, the "D" tire may have a wider side wall, which might possibly rub against the inside wheel well.)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Yep, the "D" vs "R" was what tipped me off. I never paid much attention to the codes until I was recently ordering new tires for my utility trailer.

I'll not likely lose much sleep over it at the moment, but it did cross my mind that relying on that mismatched spare for major road trip might have unintended consequences.

Sounds like nuCamp has used up the (presumed) old tire supply and is now shipping T@Bs with matched sets.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Most spares are considered just that.  Look at most spares in cars.  A little almost useless donut.  The spare should be used just to get you to the nearest repair facility.  
    Now on the other hand.  Many years ago I had a car with a donut spare.  After using it on a highway change I decided never again.  I drive vehicles vehicles with five identical tires.  Or I make them that way.  Also, my trailers are the same, all identical tires.  I also carry a tire plug kit (used last June in the Smokies)  and two cans of tire Slime -fix a flat.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    I'm with you, @GatorEgg! However (as you imply), it's nice to have spare that can serve the same function as your regular wheel/tire.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @GatorEgg, I don't think I've ever used a tire plug kit, although I do remember seeing one being used.
    Is it as easy as I remember? Just goo up the plug and push it in? Or do you have to enlarge the hole first?
    I'd rather avoid the green slime if I can, since it makes such a mess for the tech when it comes to changing the tire.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Tire plugging not hard, but sometimes essential.  You almost have it.  Push all the way in, pull partially back out.  Yes, tire slime/fix-a-flat is a last resort.  No spare tire, can’t borrow one, can’t order one,  tire plug won’t work....
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    Most plug kits include a reamer that is used to enlarge (or at least round out) the hole. There are also different kinds of plugs--mushroom type and "sticky strings" being the most common--which may have different installation procedures.
    2015 T@B S