Options

Curt echo

AceAce Member Posts: 23
Anyone using a curt echo with an Audi Q7 or Q5? I have a 400 on order and am concerned with the angles down with the 7 pin and if there is enough clearance.

Comments

• Options
    PolanskysterPolanskyster Member Posts: 46
    edited November 2020
    I've been using it for the past 2 months and it has been very buggy.  Found out today from my Audi dealer that the Curt Echo is not compatible with the 2020 Audi Q5 factory installed tow equipment.  Only option to tow the T@B 400 is a hard wired brake controller.  Wish Curt would have stopped advertising that it is compatible with my car before I purchased the Echo.
    2021 T@B 400, 2020 Audi Q5 
    Portland, OR
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    I tow a 400 with my 2020 Q5 using the curt echo.  The dealer here in Portland reconfigured the connection so that the echo plugs directly into the 400.  The other end of the echo plugs into cables that plug into the Q5. The Echo seems to be working pretty good since I’ve been using it over the past 2 months.
    Not Audi related but instead a more general question about a BlueTooth controller like the Echo. I've heard that one drawback is that your phone may not give you immediate access to the manual brake override in an emergency situation. Have you needed to access the Echo in that kind of situation and did you have any issues?
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited October 2020
    I use the Echo with our TaB400, and the new firmware added a setting to eliminate brake pulsing when the emergency flashers were on, this was the only drawback I initially had.  

As for access to emergency braking of the trailer, I tow on mountain roads with lots of hills, and have my phone set up with power from the truck to the IPhone, phone set to be continuously on (power saving off) and I leave the Echo application up and running on the phone.  

I can still use the phone via Bluetooth connection to my truck info-tainment system, and use the truck display in Apple Play mode to see the phone Home Screen or navigation maps.  Works great, the the Echo Big Red brake button is displayed in the phone, mounted close at hand off the dash in case is need to brake the trailer only.  So far, I have not had to do so.  

So not having it displayed continuously would not be an issue, as the Echo unit retains its setting when disconnected from the app.  Having the App displayed is nice, you can see how much braking is being applied to the trailer when you use the TV brakes.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Great information Denny16, thanks. There are lots of posts about this issue but all from folks worried about it, not by those who actually have an Echo.
    I have a last gen Android phone no longer connected to a network that could be dedicated to Echo use. If I used a mag mount and kept it on the center dash vent it would be easily accessible and could also be powered continuously through one of the nearby USB ports.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited October 2020
    As someone who has both been in a sway accident across six lanes of traffic (not with the Tab) and has a car that uses a digital display for EVERYTHING...I respectfully disagree that a display-based virtual button is appropriate for an emergency maneuver. It’s tricky enough to hang onto the wheel one handed and use the physical button on a normal brake controller when unexpected sway occurs. A digital only button means either you’re blindly trying to hit the screen one handed or you’re taking your eyes off the road. Either way is not ideal in a possible panic situation, sorry.

I’m not anti-tech by any stretch, nor am I against wireless brake controllers. I have and use the Prodigy RF. But to not have the physical ability to hit a button without taking my eyes off the road? No thanks.

I have a vent mount for the Prodigy’s controller that puts it right next to my right hand while towing, and I practice one hand steering while grabbing it and pressing that button when I’m simply driving—not towing—and being passed at speed by an oversized truck. Unlike my fully digital radio and A/C controls, I can do this without looking.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    My phone holder is in an arm that allows me to place it closer to my right hand steering position than ant physical brake controller that ends up an arms reach away.  I can keep my eye on the road, and the screen stop button is almost the entire size of the screen, very easy to touch and engage the trailer brake, without taking my eyes off the road.  I was also in a RV trailer jackknife situation, with a RV trailer much larger than a TaB, where the trailer brakes failed.  Not any fun, do not wish a repeat of that situation.
    cheers
  • Options
    HobieHobie Member Posts: 9
    I continue to have the Curt Echo randomly go into braking mode on the highway and even around town.  It seems to happen at least once per trip. May be due to rough pavement or even going down a grade. The rest of the time it works fine. I've checked everything I can think of. Is anyone else having this problem? How about with the Teconsha Prodigy RF?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    The Prodigy RF brake controller has worked flawlessly for us for 4+ years.  I think the Curt Echo seems to have a lot of reported problems.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    My Curt Echo has worked ever time, no issues either.
    cheers
  • Options
    HobieHobie Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the responses. I'll probably switch to the Tekonsha.
  • Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    If you are looking to change brake controllers here is “another” option. 

Autowbrake - Trailer Mounted Electric Brake Control

I have hade zero issues with mine, installed by the service department at time of purchase. 
    Cheers. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    FWIW, I decided to go with Prodigy RF over the Echo. Had some minor set-up issues but so far it's worked well, though it has not seen very extensive use.