Options

Winterizing question - 2021 Tab400

2»

Comments

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    bergger said:

You could also just use the winterize mode and siphon in a bleach mixture instead of antifreeze.  This should fill all your lines and not go into the alde.  
    That wouldn't put bleach into the fresh water tank, which is key to sanitizing...
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited November 2020
    Yes, from what I understand, that would work, and is how I would go about sanitizing a TaB 400 with the Nautilus system.  However, RV sanitizer might be a better choice over a bleach solution.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    Yes, from what I understand, that would work, and is how I would go about sanitizing a TaB 400 with the Nautilus system.  However, RV sanitizer might be a better choice over a bleach solution.
    cheers
    Are you using the Thetford product? 
    https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Sanitizer-Detergent-Treatment-bottles/dp/B001TIV1KA

I've been happy with bleach so far...and the Thetford seems expensive for what it is.  For approx 50 cents for bleach...I think I'll stick with it for now.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited November 2020
    Not yet, but I want to give it a go.  Seems like a good long term storage solution over bleach, which even if left in the water tank, stops working after 24 hrs, as the chlorine gas does not stay suspended in the water when exposed to air.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,009
    ChrisFix said:
    bergger said:

You could also just use the winterize mode and siphon in a bleach mixture instead of antifreeze.  This should fill all your lines and not go into the alde.  
    That wouldn't put bleach into the fresh water tank, which is key to sanitizing...
    No it doesn't but I was just trying to show another way of sanitizing your water lines without people's fear of introducing it into the Alde.  You still would need to just siphon some into the tank using the siphon mode.
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Honestly, I think the easiest thing is to just bypass the water heater with the Red lever, and then siphon fill the bleach into the fresh water tank and pump from there to the lines...
    That gets everything that needs it, and absolutely keeps it out of the Alde hot water heater.
  • Options
    VinneyTaBVinneyTaB Member Posts: 7
    When sanitizing the fresh water tank NuCamp says (in their video) to use 1/2cup of bleach in a gallon of water and syphon into the tank. Presumably after this you are supposed to then fill the tank with fresh water and let it stand for a time?
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @VinneyTaB, you are correct.  I use 1/4 cup bleach per 10 gallons, so 1/2 cup is accurate for the T@B holding tank.  Just put the mixture in the tank, fill it with fresh water, and let it sit for 8-12 hours.  Then, drain the tank, re-fill with fresh water and drain again.  That should be sufficient to get the chlorine smell/taste sufficiently out of the water.  Also, after filling the tank with the chlorine, you may want to turn on your pump and pull some of the treated water through the water lines (e.g., open the kitchen faucet) to sanitize them as well.  After refilling the tank with fresh water, you can do the same thing to flush the chlorine out of the lines.

See the below resource page for more detail.  There are lots of resources for various topics available on the left side of the forum home page.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8904/dewinterizing-and-sanitizing#latest
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    The fresh water tank in the 320 holds 11 gallons, so 1/4 cup of bleach should be enough.  1/2 cup for the 400.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Good distinction regarding the 320 vs the 400, @Sharon_is_SAM.  I suppose I should not have assumed that @VinneyTaB has a 400, but the original post was about a 400.

The distinction might be worth adding to your excellent summary of the process (or state 1/4 cup per 10 gallons of fresh water.)  Thanks.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    VinneyTaBVinneyTaB Member Posts: 7
    Hi. I do have a 400. Thank you for the clarification. I like the suggestion regarding adding the information to the summary. There is so much mis information out there on this subject it would be good to have a complete procedure to reference. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    Thanks @Bayliss.  I wasn’t sure which TaB he had.  I only did a guide for the 320:  pre-2021 and TaBs with Nautilus and I said to use 1/3 cup!  Guess I split the difference😁
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio