Options

Replacement Front Box

Comments

• Options
    simlessssimlesss Member Posts: 9
    Hi can you tell me which truck box you bought for your tab 400, I want to do that as well and show me a picture if you have one at what it look like?
    Thanks
    simless
    Tab 400 2018
  • Options
    vorticityvorticity Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2020
    I looked at several boxes in places like Tractor Supply and other truck stores. The new aluminum boxes are made of pretty lightweight materials.  I ended up finding an old, heavier gauge box on CraigsList. I shined it up and used that.  I removed all the stuff from the tongue of the trailer and reinstalled it in the new box. I had to cut holes in the back of the box. I lined the metal edges with a material made for that.  Bdhind the box I put a large PVC pipe to hold a rolled rug. I also included another pipe to hold my sewer hose.  

2019 T@B 320 Boondock Edge
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    this is exactly what I want, good job, what are the box dimension?
    How did you attach it to the frame? Bolt in frame our u bolt?
    simless
    Tab 400 2018
  • Options
    Standard Pickup Truck rear box. I think it's 60 inches on top.  I got some aluminum "L" bracket from Lowes over the length of the box. Bolted the box to one side of the L, then bolted the L to the trailer tongue. You will drill holes in the SIDES of the tongue NOT the top. I used 3 stainless bolts with washers and nylon bushing nuts on each side.  
  • Options
    VoklstVoklst Member Posts: 6
    More questions for you..
    Do you have any exhaust fan in ur truck box and are your 'wires'
    Thru a cut hole of some sort? out back side  or bottom of the box?
    Also which generator do you have that fits so well in the box?
    TIA
    Voklst
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    edited October 2020
    Nice job, @vorticity. I've pondered a similar mod for some time. The plastic tub is cute but not super functional in terms of size, and I'd really prefer an enclosed box over an open rack on which I would need to secure things.

What do you keep in the little white boxes attached under the overhangs?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    does any one have found a good size replacement box that is cost effective and fit well on a TAB 400?  I reach out the Nucamp rep to get a quote, but it's really over price.  Let me know if you found something.
    simless
    Tab 400 2018
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    That's a beautiful setup.  Something I'd definitely consider for my 400 if I convince myself I won't destroy the tongue weight once loaded up :)
  • Options
    For ScottG. The little white boxes are for the water filter, latex gloves, and chemicals. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    For Voklst. The generator is a Honda EU2200. I had to find a box that would accommodate it. I also have it strapped in so it doesn't shake around.  I do not have a fan but do have 2 oblong holes 12" x 6 inches cut in the back of the box for ventilation of the propane. I lined the edges in that moldable edge stuff to cover the sharp edges.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The truck boxes that I found that were high enough to accommodate a 20lb propane bottle were $400-600 for diamond plate aluminum units.  
    We decided to go ahead with the new nüCamp OEM 2021 box, and spend the extra $150-200, and our dealer had it shipped with their normal spring shipment from nüCamp p, saving us the shipping cost.  Here is the stick 2021 Tab 400 box mounted on our 2018 TaB:

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    @Denny16, what are the dimensions of the 2021 box? Can you take a couple of photos to show the inside or rather how you have utilized the inside space? 

Thanks!

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    georgianwindsgeorgianwinds Member Posts: 41
    Here is my solution using a truck tool box and a modified aluminum platform. Pics included.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/12327/another-t-b-tongue-box-and-platform-rebuild#latest

Camper - 2019 T@B 320 CS, TV - 2021 GMC Canyon Diesel
    Scott & the S.S. PorT@Bella

My Teardrop Mods  https://georgianwinds.wixsite.com/teardropmods 
  • Options
    @vorticity, @georgianwinds, and others who have installed aftermarket boxes to replace the stock front tub...

Has your available turning angle been impacted by this mod? The truck boxes are considerably wider than the stock tubs (even the new model). It seems that in a jacknife situation (uncommon but sometimes needed for those tight spaces) the front corners of the box could impact the back of the T/V before any of the other hard bits.

I'm pondering something similar for next season so any insights are appreciated. Thanks!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited November 2020
    Seems to me that you'd need to consider the width of your TV (hitch to edge) and the resulting tongue length after the box was added @ScottG to see if you could swing that arc. 

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    @vorticity, @georgianwinds, and others who have installed aftermarket boxes to replace the stock front tub...

Has your available turning angle been impacted by this mod? The truck boxes are considerably wider than the stock tubs (even the new model). It seems that in a jacknife situation (uncommon but sometimes needed for those tight spaces) the front corners of the box could impact the back of the T/V before any of the other hard bits.

I'm pondering something similar for next season so any insights are appreciated. Thanks!
    Not a bit.  I have never had any issue with turning radius.  The box doesn't protrude much more than the factory tire/box rack.

• Options
    CrabTab said:
    Seems to me that you'd need to consider the width of your TV (hitch to edge) and the resulting tongue length after the box was added @ScottG to see if you could swing that arc. 
    Good point, @CrabTab. I'll certainly do that before making any final decisions. As you suggest, there are several variables involved including the width of the T/V.

I had friend who mounted a similar box on T@G and I recall his making contact with the T/V at one point. Was just curious if others had experienced the same.
    2015 T@B S