RV length/space reservation

When making a reservation for a RV space and you are asked for RV Length is it correct to assume this is just the trailer length?  Not the trailer + tow vehicle.  

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    Correct.  Just the TaB including the hitch.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Heh! I always thought it didn't include the hitch! 

No wonder I had such a hard time squeezing into those postage stamp sites!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    An exception would be in some parks such as Yellowstone where you must count both vehicles.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Different parks may have different rules. More than once I’ve seen sites looking for total length, not just trailer length. Read the fine print carefully before booking, and contact the campground to clarify if needed; a “max RV length 20 feet” may not accommodate both trailer and tow, but a “max trailer length 20 feet” will usually be just fine.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    As VictoriaP said, it depends on the park.  When I asked on phone what “equipment length” meant at one park clerk asked me how much room do I need to park everything I brought.  At another park which was full except for tents sites, clerk said “ your trailer looks like it will fit in one of our empty tent sites, it’s yours if you want it”.  Some parks even have minimum size requirements.  So research before you ask because they may not let you in.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,498
    I have a clamshell and through experience I've learned to add about 10 feet to my stated length for room to cook at the back so that I don't get jammed into a Vanagon-size space. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    Marceline said:
    I have a clamshell and through experience I've learned to add about 10 feet to my stated length for room to cook at the back so that I don't get jammed into a Vanagon-size space. 
    That’s a good point that I wouldn’t have thought about as a regular 320 owner. Thanks for bringing it up!
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    @AirBoss, been on the receiving end of size snobbery too. In 2016 we were turned away from a campground declaring a 25' and longer limit. We probably paid more than twice as much for our 2017 320 S than most of the rv's in that campground, but it was a case of "size does matter". Happily went on down the road. Wouldn't stay at a place that has an age or size limit. 'Nuf said.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    This is the opposite of most places, which have a max size limit, it limited spaces for larger RVs, while smaller units are welcomed.  One could always quote TaB+TV length...  B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,498
    Denny16 said:
    This is the opposite of most places, which have a max size limit, it limited spaces for larger RVs, while smaller units are welcomed.  One could always quote TaB+TV length...  B)
    cheers
    I think that it's fairly common at the "resort" style parks for the big rigs. Not my cup of tea, anyways.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    edited November 2020
    Indeed. It was a  private park (e g not Sam, K, etc) so they've certainly have the right to set their terms.

To Dragon's point went on down the road...about 1/2 the price and likely just as nice. All good...
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,413
    At least size standards are easy to understand. There's a campground I would like to visit that allows tents, pop-up/tent trailers, and truck back campers, but no RVs or "hard-sided" trailers. Arguments that my T@B is smaller than most pop-ups or truck backs (and even many tents) have been politely rebuffed. 
    2015 T@B S

• runaway30runaway30 Member Posts: 86
    That is interesting  Scott G I was just liking to make a reservation at a campground that allowed Motorhomes, class c, but not trailers.  Whenever I selected one of those a site was available, when I selected trailer not available.  The date did not make a difference.
    runaway30 said:
    That is interesting  Scott G I was just liking to make a reservation at a campground that allowed Motorhomes, class c, but not trailers.  Whenever I selected one of those a site was available, when I selected trailer not available.  The date did not make a difference.
    I think in some parks, the sites aren’t positioned to allow the back and forth needed to back a trailer into them. I know that’s the case with one park I looked at, the best sites on the perimeter are motorhome only and back-in, while the pull through sites with no view in the middle are where the trailers are allowed.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    edited November 2020
    I can back a TaB into most spaces like the perimeter space noted above. Just need a 10-15 feet wide approach drive/street, those coming off at 45-degree angel are even better.  This was the situation I had at a recent campground on the North Calif. coast.  Restricting these spaces for coaches is discriminatory in my book.  Our recent trip to Clear Lake, we had a Motor Coach space on the end with a lake view, and I was able to back into quite easily as the drive approach was 20 some odd feet wide.  
    Here is the space we had:

cheers
  • runaway30runaway30 Member Posts: 86
    Did you go to the Foster Freeze across the street?
    Well, yes, but Foster Freeze is not quite across the street, the RV park is on the edge of Lucerne and Foster Freeze is four more miles further down the road.  But it is basically the same view across the Lake.  The RV park is on a former fishing boat repair facility lot on the Lake side, and has more normal RV Park spaces in the north side of the highway (opposite side from the Lake)
    cheers