Options

De-winterize Tab 320S 2018

New to NuCamp  and Tab 320S.  Any advice on de-winterizing- steps to take. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    Start here. These documents are mostly about winterizing, but will give you some good info.

De-winterizing is generally pretty easy, but depends in part on exactly how your trailer was winterized.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    Thanks, Sharon_is_SAM. I thought I recalled that document but totally missed that it was posted in its own category.  :-/
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @Scott, maybe we should rename “Winterizing” to “Winterizing and Dewinterizing”?
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @Sharon_is_SAM and @ScottG -- thanks for these posts.  I have read through the dewinterize/sanitize document (w/o Nautilus).  How do most people manage access to a sanitary sewer?  There is a private RV campground near me that I can use their dump for a fee, but I don't know how usable their water is for flushing my system.  If I rinse out the system at home, do I need to purchase a portable waste tank, like a Rhino?  Or do people use a dedicated bucket?  Newbie questions, I realize, I just don't want to end up with a mess on my hands!   :blush:
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The campground dump station is the easiest way to go, any water can be used for flushing the Black Tank, it is going to be drained back out anyway.
    That said, some gas stations like Chevron, have sewer dump stations, that include a flushing hose.
    cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Denny16 -- the person I bought my T@B from last fall (2018 320S) said they just did the antifreeze down the sink, shower, and toilet bit.  So, before taking the trailer to the dump station, should I hook it up to home hose and run water through those fixtures?  Seems like sanitizing will require a second trip -- or can that go down the storm drain?

• Options
    edited June 2021
    The RV antifreeze should not go down a storm drain.  For those small quantities, a quart or two of water down each drain (sinks and shower) should flush out the traps and toilet and you can catch this in a five gallon bucket (you can buy a paint bucket with a lid at a home improvement or paint shop), and take it to a hazmat disposal site to get rid of the stuff.

That said, if the antifreeze is only a small amount in the traps, just flush it through, and drain in a sewer connection.  The small amount you have should not be an issue, but I would not drain it into the ground or a storm drain.
    cheers
  • Options
    @PNWtabber - until you are ready to sanitize, there is no reason to need to flush the antifreeze out of the traps and grey and black tanks.  Just do it all when you have access to a full hook up with city water and a sewer.  
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM -- I was hoping to get the trailer all set before departing for an upcoming trip.  Uncertain what the facilities will be like when I arrive, and would feel more comfortable knowing I was ready to go.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @PNWtabber, is there a close campground where you could go to be able to use the sewer dump for 30 to 60 minutes?  Or, do you have access to your sewer clean out at home? It does take a while for the multiple flushes to make sure your freshwater tank is flushed well enough that it is sanitized. You really can’t skimp on this sanitizing, for your health and well being.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Verna -- there is a private campground near my house, I don't know what their time limit is on using their dump (they quoted me a $5 fee, which is fine), but their water at the dump is non-potable.  I guess I could do an initial dump there (getting rid of the antifreeze and the bleach, and then flush the system additionally at home once it is just water -- which could go into the storm drain?  Given the water at the dump station is non-potable, I don't want to use it to rinse out the system once I've sanitized it.  I'm sure this will all be very simple after I've done it a time or two .

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Yes, the non-potable water would work to out the black tank, which is what it is for.  Not sure I would use this in the fresh water tank, gray tank does not need flushing out, that will happen as you use it.   I would wait and flush the fresh water tank at home, and water your garden with it or the storm drain would work, since you are using fresh water to flush it out, and you already dumped the RV Antifreeze out at the RV dump station.  A little beach solution very diluted with lots of water from yiur fresh water tank is not going to hurt the environment.
    cheers
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @PNWtabber, yes, you do not want non potable water in your fresh water tank. I never put any liquid down a storm sewer that I don’t want in my fishing hole. If you go by that rule, you’ll be fine. I also don’t dump anything in my yard that I don’t want in my well. 

It may take you 3 trips to the dump station for your initial de-winterization. It just has to be. A lot of people just spend a night at a campsite do they don’t have to pay multiple dump fees. 

You’ll have to figure out which is more important—flushing the fresh water tank until you can’t smell any bleach or just putting up with the bleach in your fresh water tank. Personally, I’m allergic to bleach, so I want to flush the tank at least 3 or 4  times, if that’s what it takes to get rid of the bleach. Otherwise, I will have chemical burn like sores from the bleach water. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”